Installing OMV on RP4 - manual link does not work?

• Because I didn't knew about it, nor I would advise to use it, if I did, 😉

I couldn't remember if you were here when tkaiser huffed off or not.

Actually back then, using the images he made were the recommended way for installing on SBC's. He had done a fair amount of tweaking to the images, etc. This made many people overlook that he was a complete pompous ass. Then eventually that caught up with him and he huffed off, demanded all his images be taken down, etc.

It was moderately amusing witnessing it as it happened.

• KM0201

Added the Label resolved
  • KM0201

Added the Label OMV 6.x
  • Actually back then, using the images he made were the recommended way for installing on SBC's.

The method he used is not possible with OMV5 and OMV6. But honestly, one script for all the platforms and flavors is really much easier than this myriad of images for all the SBC.

• The method he used is not possible with OMV5 and OMV6. But honestly, one script for all the platforms and flavors is really much easier than this myriad of images for all the SBC.

I don't disagree at all (I'm sure you recall he had multiple images for different devices.. I want to say in excess of 10). I was simply pointing out that pre OMV 5 and his meltdown, using his images were the recommended way to install OMV on a myriad of sbc's.

Obviously the OP didn't keep up with the soap opera posts by this individual to know those images had been gone for some time, as he questioned why they weren't there in OMV 6 (and as you pointed out, I'm assuming he didn't realize they weren't there in 5 either)

• To be fair, the instructions you link to do not prepend the wget command with sudo.

The only reason to prepend the wget with sudo is to get a decent password prompt if you do not have passwordless sudo.

sudo promps for the password once and then remembers it for some time.

Downloading as root is meaningless as long as you start the install script with sudo.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• The only reason to prepend the wget with sudo is to get a decent password prompt if you do not have passwordless sudo.

sudo promps for the password once and then remembers it for some time.

Downloading as root is meaningless as long as you start the install script with sudo.

Again, not disputing any of that. Did you look at his original error or just zero in on my post? He was told the instructions say to use sudo.. they do not as he clearly pointed out. Beyond that, even if they did, for whatever reason he was clearly getting a 404 error, which sudo would not have solved anyway as it was not a permission issue.

• I just focused on the sudo, you diagnosis regarding the 404 was to the point. I had nothing to add.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• the instructions say to use sudo.. they do not as he clearly pointed out.

Which instructions?

The github for the install script states it clearly that is needed, 😉

And those should be the only instructions to follow.

https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…-Developers/installScript

There's a big problem with the amount of how-tos, guides, instructions scattered around the web because there's not a real proper way on how to do it.

As soon as something is updated, either OS, app or whatever, the procedure changes.

And we either keep up with it or use an outdated procedure.

As for the 404 OP had, look at the pics:

there's no pipe with sudo bash after the 1st command, 🤔

Nonetheless, it's sorted.

In the end, all it matters is having everything running properly, 😁

• And the real reason for the 404 is a missing dash in the URL PliginDevelopers instead of Plugin-Developers

I would not have noticed it without Soma s post, as I usually cut-and-paste the URL and do not type it.

• I didn't really look at the link that close, the point is, sudo or root would not have solved it which was the suggestion at the beginning of this mess. Obviously you found what the issue was (the missing -) thus why he was getting 404'd. I didn't notice it either. I'm assuming rather than type it, he copy/pasted off my post (or typed it correctly)

sudo is absolutely required, but does not need to be at the beginning, as the instructions he was following clearly indicate... It's right off the link you posted

https://wiki.omv-extras.org/do…_raspberry_pi#install_omv

• Yes, I copied/pasted directly from the manual, into the SSH window. I did that with each step in the process in the manual. I did that specifically, as I did not want to mistype the very important script line, as I knew one single character in the wrong place and..... That's why I thought I was doing myself a favour to copy/paste directly from the manual into the SSH window. :P

Is there a way to inform those that maintain the manual for installing OMV6 on the PI4, of the error in the manual so others won't run into this problem when they try? I seem to recall reading somewhere, that a different group of volunteers look after the PI4 instructions from those that maintain the PC-install instructions. Do I have that right?

• Yes, I copied/pasted directly from the manual, into the SSH window. I did that with each step in the process in the manual. I did that specifically, as I did not want to mistype the very important script line, as I knew one single character in the wrong place and..... That's why I thought I was doing myself a favour to copy/paste directly from the manual into the SSH window. :P

Is there a way to inform those that maintain the manual for installing OMV6 on the PI4, of the error in the manual so others won't run into this problem when they try? I seem to recall reading somewhere, that a different group of volunteers look after the PI4 instructions from those that maintain the PC-install instructions. Do I have that right?

No. The instructions are the same no matter what (Crashtest added some parts for sbc users for testing sdcard integrity, etc.. things that generally probably won't apply to amd64 users.. but it won't hurt them to do it)

There is no error best I can tell. Somehow you deleted a dash in your copy-paste (look at the "PluginDevelopers" part)

You had this

Code
    wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-PluginDevelopers/installScript/raw/master/install | sudo bash

and should have had this

Code
    wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript/raw/master/install | sudo bash

That is clearly what is in the manual, and if you copy pasted, I'm not sure how you somehow deleted that -, as I can't find anywhere that has the script as you put it vs how it is supposed to be (see pic in post 30, that is what's in the manual you were following). That is why you were getting the 404 that started all this. Your link was not right.

• Very interesting. I thought copy/paste from the manual would avoid that. That was what I was hoping for anyway.

Sigh....

All for the sake of one little dash.... :(

I did a little copy/paste test just now, into Notepad, and although I copied and pasted as anyone would, the result in Notepad IS LESS THE REQUIRED DASH!

See the image I have attached.

This means the copy/paste is somehow dropping the dash. Very interesting indeed!

Foxit PDF reader. Perhaps there is a bug with its text copy tool, as it seems to have thought that the dash at the far-right of the PDF text, is hyphenated text, and that the dash is only there to split the text, and so when you paste it, it drops the dash.

Specifically, look at the 2nd line in the Notepad window.

Where there should be a dash between OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers etc, it just pastes as OpenMediaVaultPlugin-Developers etc! 8|

Most interesting.

EDIT: I't on the TOP line also! Copy/paste seems to be treating ANY dash at the end of text, as hyphenated text, and drops the dash as part of the copy/paste!!! Wow!

• What browser are you using? Here's what I get with chrome.

Code
    wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript/raw/master/install | sudo bash

and Since I'm at work I have IE or Edge or whatever they call it now..

Code

Both came out fine, so I'm not sure how you're getting that.

• I'm not using a browser - I downloaded the manual as a PDF, and copied/pasted from inside the PDF reader, which is Foxit.

In future, I think it would be wiser to copy/paste from inside a browser.

EDIT: Becasue it would seem that FOXIT PDF READER is not copying the dashes. Obviously, web-browsers do, so it is a Foxit PDF reader bug from what I can see.

• I'm not using a browser - I downloaded the manual as a PDF, and copied/pasted from inside the PDF reader, which is Foxit.

In future, I think it would be wiser to copy/paste from inside a browser.

EDIT: Becasue it would seem that FOXIT PDF READER is not copying the dashes. Obviously, web-browsers do, so it is a Foxit PDF reader bug from what I can see.

It would seem so as this is the first time I've ever saw this issue.

• Yeah, me too, and I - like just about everyone else I suppose - have been copy/pasting for YEARS, and never EVER seen this issue.

I am quite sure it is a bug in Foxit PDF reader, but as mentioned, moving forward, I will copy/paste from the web rather then from inside a PDF.

I've never seen this problem copying from inside a PDF either - it's a new one one to me! ;)8o

• Apologies if this is a Hijack, and I should be starting a new thread, but it is a pretty similar issue.

I thought I had followed all the steps, created a new SD with raspberry pi lite, ran the script and it all seems to go fine until I get the following:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:

chrony : Conflicts: time-daemon

systemd-timesyncd : Conflicts: time-daemon

E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.

failed to install openmediavault package

Have I missed something obvious?

• What is the output of: sudo apt-get install chrony

omv 6.0.30-1 Shaitan | 64 bit | 5.15 proxmox kernel | plugins :: omvextrasorg 6.0.9 | kvm 6.1.19 | mergerfs 6.1.1 | zfs 6.0.9
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!