Ubuntu Docker Install

• Morning all,

Does anyone know of a guide or can help me with installing docker on Ubuntu (or any Linux OS) and also how to set up a container.

Normally if its in red it's bad!!!

Machine 1 - Dell OptiPlex 790 - Core i5-2400 3.10GHz - 16GB RAM - OMV5

Machine 2 - Raspberry PI4 - ARMv7 - 2GB - OMV5

• Offizieller Beitrag

Morning all,

Does anyone know of a guide or can help me with installing docker on Ubuntu (or any Linux OS) and also how to set up a container.

Really, docker is docker. Once you install it and do some basic setting up your docker paths... containers should more or less install the same cross platform. My issue w/ Ubuntu Server nowadays... is snaps. I was messing with a VM a while ago and it seemed like snaps was almost the default for everything. If I was going to do some sort of sandboxing like that, I'd probably prefer flatpak, but that's another issue. I'm just not a fan but the Ubuntu team seems to have fallen head over heels in love with them. I hope Debian doesn't follow course.

If I'm going to sandbox apps, I'd rather use docker, podman, etc.

• Really, docker is docker. Once you install it and do some basic setting up your docker paths... containers should more or less install the same cross platform. My issue w/ Ubuntu Server nowadays... is snaps. I was messing with a VM a while ago and it seemed like snaps was almost the default for everything. If I was going to do some sort of sandboxing like that, I'd probably prefer flatpak, but that's another issue. I'm just not a fan but the Ubuntu team seems to have fallen head over heels in love with them. I hope Debian doesn't follow course.

If I'm going to sandbox apps, I'd rather use docker, podman, etc.

I haven't completely decided on which I want to use either Ubuntu or Raspbian. The main issue I am having is I am so used to OMV docker layout and simplicity and because there are so many guides/people who go through making a container in docker/omv but when I look for docker guide in Ubuntu or Linux I'm not finding it as simple. I'm going to try the guide macom linked and see how I get on.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I haven't completely decided on which I want to use either Ubuntu or Raspbian. The main issue I am having is I am so used to OMV docker layout and simplicity and because there are so many guides/people who go through making a container in docker/omv but when I look for docker guide in Ubuntu or Linux I'm not finding it as simple. I'm going to try the guide macom linked and see how I get on.

Well, again I don't really know what guides your following... If you install docker on ubuntu, and then install Portainer in docker... Well now all you have to do is use Stacks in Portainer to deploy docker-compose files. This would be the same across any OS.

I'm curious,, what is your issue with OMV, and what do you think going to Ubuntu or Raspbian will solve (or do you just want an OS w/ a desktop?)

• Well, again I don't really know what guides your following... If you install docker on ubuntu, and then install Portainer in docker... Well now all you have to do is use Stacks in Portainer to deploy docker-compose files. This would be the same across any OS.

I'm curious,, what is your issue with OMV, and what do you think going to Ubuntu or Raspbian will solve (or do you just want an OS w/ a desktop?)

I have no issues with OMV I think it's one of the best things I have come across in long time just not sure if it would fit what I want to try and do

What I'm looking to do is basically I have a quad core pc which is just sitting around doing nothing not even powered on. What my idea was to install a Linux OS and use the PC for low level mining but also install a docker/container for passive income via selling unused bandwidth. I have access to my uncles property which he only uses a few month out of the year but he still pays all the bills including electricity and Internet I explained it all to him and he was happy for me to try it out and see what happens and not charge me anything.

I know it sounds like a lot of work for possibly little to no chance of success but then all I have to lose is my time so I thought why not also I get to learn a bit about Linux and docker.

I sound crazy don't I?

• KM0201 do you know if there is a Raspbian OS 64bit is available for a desktop pc? i managed to get what i needed set up on my PI but i also have a dell machine if i could install Raspbian on it, it would make things go very smoothly

• Offizieller Beitrag

KM0201 do you know if there is a Raspbian OS 64bit is available for a desktop pc? i managed to get what i needed set up on my PI but i also have a dell machine if i could install Raspbian on it, it would make things go very smoothly

There might be a Raspbian OS, but their architecture (arm32/64 vs amd64) is totally different. Not saying it wouldn't work, just saying it may not transfer as easily as you think depending on the containers used, images available, etc.

But to more directly answer your question, no I do not know.

• The link I posted hits info for that.

RaspiOS for PC only is available for x86, but it exists for a long time:

Projects | Computer coding for kids and teens | Raspberry Pi

Install Raspberry Pi's Raspbian OS with Pixel Desktop on any PC (itsfoss.com)

To name a few...

• what would work on raspbian which does not on Debian x64 if it is not related to the pi hardware like gpio?

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• what would work on raspbian which does not on Debian x64 if it is not related to the pi hardware like gpio?

Its probably something simple, but i am using Debian 11 and trying to install RealVNC using this guide https://techviewleo.com/config…ver-and-client-on-debian/ but when i get to the section about setting up VNC server it keeps asking me for a admin password but loading my non admin profile and wont let me swap to a SU. That's why i was asking if a 64bit version of Raspbian OS for the PC exists as RealVNC comes preinstalled on it. I'm only using RealVNC as i already have an account with them

• Nope, it would probably be best if i post pictures of what i'm doing, it will make more sense. I will do this later after work.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well that means one of two things (most likely) your user is not in the sudo group... or, you don't have sudo even installed (I seem to recall OMV does not install sudo by default on amd64.. maybe it does on sbc's)

Become root and apt install sudo to make sure sudo is installed, and assuming it is, make sure your user is in the sudo group.

• Well that means one of two things (most likely) your user is not in the sudo group... or, you don't have sudo even installed (I seem to recall OMV does not install sudo by default on amd64.. maybe it does on sbc's)

Become root and apt install sudo to make sure sudo is installed, and assuming it is, make sure your user is in the sudo group.

When I made my last post I ran the following command as SU because I assumed the user was not in the sudo group

usermod -aG sudo liton

But I could not get it to still run, when I get home I will run what you said, so log in as SU and run "apt install sudo" and then check if it worked for RealVNC

• Offizieller Beitrag

When I made my last post I ran the following command as SU because I assumed the user was not in the sudo group

usermod -aG sudo liton

But I could not get it to still run, when I get home I will run what you said, so log in as SU and run "apt install sudo" and then check if it worked for RealVNC

Yeah it's kinda weird. If you install Debian first, then OMV on top of it, sudo is installed by default. If you install OMV from the OMV iso, then sudo is not installed and you have to install it with the apt install sudo command (again this is for 64bit, I'm assuming on arm stuff, sudo is installed since you first have to install armbian/raspbian).

I can't tell if you're using OMV or Ubuntu Server at this point. Ubuntu Server should have sudo installed by default, at which point that command would have gave your user sudo rights. If you're using OMV, you don't need to add the user to the sudo group at the command line, you can do it in the webUI. Just log in, go to users, edit user, and where you can set your groups, put a check next to sudo. Save and apply.

Exit your SSH session and SSH back in as your user, and you should have sudo rights.

• su will ask for the root password whereas sudo will ask for the user password.( if not configured passwordless)

Major difference.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!