"Network / Interfaces" doesn't show IP addresses while dashboard widgets do

• Hi,

I might have found a bug in my OMV6 installation.

Network connection itself (ipv4 and ipv6) works without any problems, but when I go to Network/Interfaces I just see - - - -:

In contrast to that two of the dashboard widgets show correct data (although a bit squeezed):

My hardware is a HP Microserver Gen8 with two ethernet ports. (both connected but second one exclusively assigned to HP iLO)

OMV version: 6.0.25-2 (Shaitan)

Kernel: Linux 5.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64

Any idea whats wrong and how to fix it?

To be fair I run this configuration for months but didn't check the Network/Interface output till today because no problems.

Installed some plugins in the meantime but don't know if this malfunction existed from the beginning.

Thanks for your input! ;)

• votdev

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • That's by intention. The configuration pages, e.g. network, only shows the configured data. The widgets are meant to display the current real data.

Thanks for clarification, votdev . :)

I have to say that I didn't expect this behavior to be intentional. In my opinion this configuration site should also show the received IP-addresses when method DHCP or Auto is set.

Only having this in widgets section is not enough. Here is why:

• Widgets are small. Even IPv4 addresses are cut off in them.
    • In my case I access my OMV GUI from different devices and on most oft them cookies are deleted on a regular basis. So I get an empty widget page whenever I log in.
    • Network/Interfaces section now contains some exclusive information (method, wol yes/no) but not all. This is counter intuitive. MTU for example is shown as "0" here (because not set, i guess) but widget says 1500. "Link" is just present in one of the widgets ... There should be one central place to show everything. And because of space (and cookie hassle) I'd prefer Network/Interfaces section.
    • Consistency: In storage section you are able to make changes but also see the current state.
    • The larger one of the two network widgets looks like a condensed mini Version of Network/Interfaces but in fact it is not. This is confusing.
  • This is wrong, in OMV6 this has been changed. See https://github.com/openmediava…ult/debian/changelog#L272

Thanks for the link! I meant "consistency" in another way.

Let me explain (and please excuse my clumsy english expression):

On the "Storage / File Systems" overview page, I don't just see settings of devices I previously added but also current values of these devices (available space, a bar graph of space in use, current status, referenced or not, and maybe some other optional stuff).

Settings, that can be changed are under "Edit".

"Storage / RAID Management" overview page also displays the current state "clean".

On the "Network / Interfaces" overview page there are "Edit" and "show details" submenus for every device. At this time the overview shows info from the "Edit" submenu but I think having the contents of "show details" here would be much more valuable to the user. And the space is there.

For example displaying "MTU = 0" on that overview page without explanation is misleading. When you click "Edit" you see that "0" is just the value for "using the defaults". On the overview page one would expect to see the IPs, Masks, Gateways, MTUs that are actually in use and the current Link status of that device rather than "DHCP - - - - 0" and so on...

edit: I like the idea of only showing filesystems, network interfaces and so on, that are actually configured by OMV. What about applying the same restriction to the network interfaces widgets? Both of them still list unconfigured and unused interfaces - the more detailed even my loopback device (with MTU 65536). ;)

• Mr Smile

Hat das Label gelöst entfernt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!