Safe, robust backup and restore

• How do i backup (and later restore) the omv system?

I have seen a lot of "suggestions" but other information makes me belive that the "suggestion" will not work.

The hole backup thing seems to be very complicated.

I have data disks for media and a system disk on which omv is installed. This later one is a 120G ssd. I also have a extra 120G ssd that so far not is used. My plan was to use it for backup.

Can anyone please give me a instruction to backup my system and how to restore it? Hopfully a rock solid and easy method. For some reason i thing backup must be fundamental for a NAS.

• I have read that there can be trouble doing this.

Clonezilla will copy everything including some kind of disk ID's,, and this can cause problems when rebooting the PC.

I am not sure if this is a correct statement from the writer?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Clonezilla can create an identical clone of the disk. If you do this, you cannot use both clones at the same time. But this is not an issue, as you only need one OS drive to boot. The other one should be stored separated from the server.

• Why store it separate from the server?

Safety reasons?

Because if the 2 drives are plugged, you will have 2 OS drives exactly the same.

The errors that this cause can give more headaches than you can solve:

Mixed boots, one drive reads grub but the root drive is the other one.

On one boot, it starts with one drive and you do changes but on next reboot, it boots the other drive that doesn't show the changes you made previously.

This is to name a few.

So, clone the drive but then, shutdown and unplug the original and leave it disconnected.

Boot the system with the clone and use it until next time you want to backup.

Make cycles of those drives from time to time.

• I was hoping to be able to automatically run a backup once a week or similar. Obvious not not possible whiteout lot of work.

No other way to backup without manual steps?

Today I am running a NAS. If the NAS hardware breaks I am lost. Basically I need a new NAS and hope that external backups works as expected to be able to restore data.

I've learned that there are no guarantees that the old data disks are working with the new NAS.

I was hoping life would be simplier with OMV.

• Instead of cloning drive to drive, make a clone img with clonezilla or via dd.

Just make sure to test it once in a while to see that is OK.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've learned that there are no guarantees that the old data disks are working with the new NAS.

Drives used with OMV can be read by every Linux live distro. As standard you can use the drive with wide spread ext4 filesystem.

• My OMV server runs a dd image backup of the OS drive nightly, and has done so for the nearly seven years I have been running OMV. This happens on cron so there are no manual steps needed. I keep the seven most recent nightly backup images. This purge also happens on cron so there are no manual steps.

I do not backup the eleven data disks that are in the machine. I use SnapRAID with two parity disks to snapshot and partially scrub the data every third day. This also happens on cron without any manual steps.

Any backup strategy you come up with must be fully tested to verify it actually works as expected. There is no room for hope or trying to figure out how to perform a restore for the first time when it is actually needed instead of as a test.

I perform a test restore of the latest nightly OS image about every four to six weeks. I can also get inside any of the saved OS dd images at any time and extract any files I might want to have without doing a full OS restore or taking the system down. These are the only times any manual steps by me are needed and highly infrequent.

Until I need to perform a restore this is a zero work for me solution.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• To where (which location) is the dd commad sending data?

External disk?

It is sent to one of my eleven data drives which are internal to the machine.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• It is sent to one of my eleven data drives which are internal to the machine.

Okay,,

My system disk is 120G. Creating a image of the hole disk and keeping 7 copies.....

OMV don't require much space but I have not found a way to compress the image.

• dd images can be compressed during creation by piping the output to gzip. But I do not know how much space this will save you.

My system disk is 16GB and currently has 4.2GB of available space left on it. The seven backups cost me 108GB of storage space which I feel is negligible when compared to the total storage space of 80TB.

I suggest using a smaller system disk and/or keeping fewer copies.

--

• dd images can be compressed during creation by piping the output to gzip. But I do not know how much space this will save you.

My system disk is 16GB and currently has 4.2GB of available space left on it. The seven backups cost me 108GB of storage space which I feel is negligible when compared to the total storage space of 80TB.

I suggest using a smaller system disk and/or keeping fewer copies.

Hard to find smaller SSD disks..

• I've been buying 16GB SSDs on ebay for many years, but the 2.5in style I have been using are now scarce. However, the newer M2s are quite common.

However, in recent years I have moved to using 16GB USB thumb drives which are everywhere.

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!