Access samba shares from Ubuntu

• Hello,

since I upgraded to OMV6, my samba shares are fully visible from my Windows clients, but not from my Ubuntu client.

My OMV server is not seen in File manager's network neighbouring

My Ubuntu is running 22.04, so maybe it is related to this version, but I can't find how to troubleshoot this.

of course , if I try to connect using the server's IP, it's OK, but it is not the expected behavior...

Thank you

• I use Xubuntu (XFCE) and it's been always like that.

I mainly use NFS, but I can access Samba shares if I put that in the path of Thunar file manager:

Code
    smb://your-omv-hostname/share-name/
  • My question was not wether to choose between Samba or NFS ;)

Of course I can connect using my OMV server's IP, but it is a workaround of a function that should work, i.e , browsing network shares from file manager

Maybe it is a network related issue since I've noticed that using server's name does not work : smb://DTC-JEJE or smb://DTC-JEJE.local

my windows clients can see the server with its name, so it is known on the network...only Ubuntu can't see it

• I did a complete reinstall of my Ubuntu and OMV still not showing up in "other locations" area.

I will check if ubuntu has other settings that could help, but I'm surprised that it does not work out of the box from linux client to linux server :(

• moreje Your OMV6 host is not going to automatically show up in Ubuntu's file manger in the way you're expecting. Check the docs here: https://help.ubuntu.com/stable…/nautilus-connect.html.en

To browse to SMB shares in this way you would need SMB1(NT1) on both the server & client side. This was dropped as being insecure sometime ago. Ubuntu 22.04 will make a SMB3_11 secure connection to your ONV6 host, if you provide the URL in the correct form and a valid samba username/password combo.

You can also use an url of form, smb://username@host/sahre

• Thank you Krisbee,

You say Ubuntu will need SMB1(NT1) and after that it will make SMB3_11 connection, so I'm confused.

I can't see in your link any mention of the NT1 protocol, and I'm surprised that the most recent LTS release still use such deprecated protocol? do you know where I can find documentation on this NT1 use ? is it only by File Manager?

• You say Ubuntu will need SMB1(NT1) and after that it will make SMB3_11 connection

well agree the statements can be read incorrectly.

What he meant to say is likely just:

Ubuntu 22.04 file manager will make a SMB3_11 secure connection to your OMV6 host,

provide the URL in the correct form including a valid samba username/password combo.

Example:

url in the form: smb://username@host/share

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von mi-hol ()

• I did a complete reinstall of my Ubuntu and OMV still not showing up in "other locations" area.

I will check if ubuntu has other settings that could help, but I'm surprised that it does not work out of the box from linux client to linux server :(

Here is an example of "fstab" entry on my linux mint specifying mounting share from NAS (OMV6).

//192.168.1.xx/Files /media/cifs/Files cifs credentials=/media/cifs/.NAS.cifs_creds,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,uid=1000,gid=1000,nofail 0 0

Note: /media/cifs and /media/cifs/ShareName are directories on your linux client that you need to create.

.NAS.cifs_creds is a text file specifying login on your OMV6 server (you can name this file to whatever you want) with

username=admin

password=xxxxxxxxxx

domain=xxxxxxxxxx

You will need to create entries for each OMV6 share in /etc/fstab. then reboot your client or "sudo mount -a" from CLI.

hope this will help.

Linux Mint (Edge) EndeavourOS Arch Linux

OMV7 NAS, bond0 LACP, Fractal Design Define R5 Case, Kodi "Omega", FreeBSD pfSense Plus firewall/router

• I'm sorry. I'm 78. I'm confused. On my Linux Mint these are the two lines i've just added to my fstab:

//192.168.1.35/sda /media/cifs/sda credentials=/media/cifs/.NAS.cifs_creds,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,uid=1000,gid=1000,nofail 0 0

//192.168.1.35/sdc /media/cifs/sdc credentials=/media/cifs/.NAS.cifs_creds,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,uid=1000,gid=1000,nofail 0 0

Again, please pardon for my serious noobness, but do i also have to do a mount beside the fstab entry. And are those two correct lines correct? I've created /media/cifs, and .NAS.cifs_creds under it with my creds in that file. I put WORKGROUP for domain since i didn't know what else to put there. I've also created folders sda and sdc under /media/cifs. How much of all this have i gotten wrong?

• I'm sorry. I'm 78. I'm confused. On my Linux Mint these are the two lines i've just added to my fstab:

//192.168.1.35/sda /media/cifs/sda credentials=/media/cifs/.NAS.cifs_creds,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,uid=1000,gid=1000,nofail 0 0

//192.168.1.35/sdc /media/cifs/sdc credentials=/media/cifs/.NAS.cifs_creds,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,uid=1000,gid=1000,nofail 0 0

Again, please pardon for my serious noobness, but do i also have to do a mount beside the fstab entry. And are those two correct lines correct? I've created /media/cifs, and .NAS.cifs_creds under it with my creds in that file. I put WORKGROUP for domain since i didn't know what else to put there. I've also created folders sda and sdc under /media/cifs. How much of all this have i gotten wrong?

You only need 1 of the //192.168.1.35/...... lines. I think that "sda" is a disk and not files directory on "sda" drive/device.. You cannot use that, you must specify samba shared directory name that you created in OMV instead "sda". Also run on your Linux Mint in CLI "id your user name" and that "uid" and "gid" match your entry in fstab file. It is probably my fault that I did not asked you if you installed in OMV "openmediavault-sharerootfs" plug in. You need to install this plugin first. Second, you need to install OMV plugin "openmediavault-symlinks" and create link for your samba share pointing to //192.168.1.35/"samba share name". Read instructions how to properly use "openmediavault-symlinks".

Linux Mint (Edge) EndeavourOS Arch Linux

OMV7 NAS, bond0 LACP, Fractal Design Define R5 Case, Kodi "Omega", FreeBSD pfSense Plus firewall/router

• You only need 1 of the //192.168.1.35/...... lines. I think that "sda" is a disk and not files directory on "sda" drive/device.. You cannot use that, you must specify samba shared directory name that you created in OMV instead "sda". Also run on your Linux Mint in CLI "id your user name" and that "uid" and "gid" match your entry in fstab file. It is probably my fault that I did not asked you if you installed in OMV "openmediavault-sharerootfs" plug in. You need to install this plugin first. Second, you need to install OMV plugin "openmediavault-symlinks" and create link for your samba share pointing to //192.168.1.35/"samba share name". Read instructions how to properly use "openmediavault-symlinks".

Yeah, sorry andrzejls. I haven't implemented your suggestions yet. I'm still hoping someone will state whether it's usual for one's password to not show up in Users, Users, once you've configured that screen. In fact i'll start now installing those plugins you suggested. I'm just a little afraid that someone's advice here might conflict with someone else's advice and i'd get more confused.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!