Installer stuck at 95%

• Hi,

Today I wanted to make a clean install of OMV6, but... everything went wrong.

The installed gets stuck at 95% at the entry Installed e2fsprogs (amd64)

I have tried both the latest and the previous OMV6 ISO (openmediavault_6.0.24 and openmediavault_6.0-34) but the behaviour is always the same.

I got the logs by typing ALT+F4 and you can find them here (high res photo which can't be attached).

I cannot get past this point. The computer is not stuck, in this state the cursor is flashing under the last log line, but I also can't do anything.

So I grabbed the Debian NetInst ISO and gave it a try. The installer is slightly different and the process takes much longer. The installation completed successfully, although I am not sure if does install e2fsprogs. Because I wasted too much time today, I'm temporarily restoring OMV5 and wait for your feedback.

The hardware I'm trying to install it is in my description. I installed OMV5 more than two years ago and I had no problems!

• Someone I was helping on reddit the other day was having a similar issue.

I would probably follow the instructions to do a debian mini install, and then install OMV on top of that.

Honestly I would like to get the issue resolved.

OMV5 installed fine on this hardware at the time, so OMV6 should.

The Debian installer asked much more stuff and took more time to install, so the installs are not really the same.

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), 2x16TB HDDs w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

My all-in-one SnapRAID script!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Honestly I would like to get the issue resolved.

OMV5 installed fine on this hardware at the time, so OMV6 should.

The Debian installer asked much more stuff and took more time to install, so the installs are not really the same.

No, they are almost exactly the same and take a very similar amount of time. The only thing in addition it asks you are.

1. You have to create a user in addition to root

2. It asks you how to partition the drive. Just choose for Debian to use the whole drive, it will auto partition the drive just like the OMV installer

3. It will ask you what software to install (uncheck everything but system utilities and SSH).

4. It will ask where to install grub. If you've followed install install instructions, there should only be one option there.

Once it's done installing, SSH the server as the user, and install wget (sudo apt install wget). Then run the omv-extras install script.

Done.

• I successfully installed OMV6 on my system following this procedure

- Unplug the LAN cable

- Run the OMV6 installation with a USB stick

- Go trough the installation without a network

- When asked to select which Debian source I preferred, I pressed ESC and selected the entry to configure the network.

- I plugged the LAN cable

- Network got configured and the installer resumed from the Debian source selection.

- The installation proceeded as normal and completed successfully.

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), 2x16TB HDDs w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

• For anyone with the same/similar issue, try installing to a faster drive!

It seems the installer doesn't like slow (but otherwise perfectly fine) USB drives. The installation media can be slow, just not the target drive.

• For anyone with the same/similar issue, try installing to a faster drive!

It seems the installer doesn't like slow (but otherwise perfectly fine) USB drives. The installation media can be slow, just not the target drive.

My USB stick speed is fairly average, but I understand your point.

However, it's funny this issue has happened, because this entry is in OMV6 changelog:

Code
    Enhanced ISO installer. Ensure that /media is unmounted to allow installation to USB devices. This will allow the installation from USB to USB device.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If it were me... I'd try a debian mini install and see if it will install, then install OMV on top of that.

Index of /mirror/cdimage/archive/11.7.0/amd64/iso-cd

Download the netinst ISO , boot it on bootable media, etc.. just like you did the OMV ISO

Go through the install process, set root account and a username/password, take dhcp, etc. it's pretty much all default settings.

When it comes time to format, just basically choose to format the whole drive and put all files on one partition.

WHen it comes time to install software, uncheck all boxes except SSH server.

Finish install

Boot the first time, log in as root

apt install wget sudo

Then SSH your server, go here and paste the wget script in as root.

GitHub - OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript: script that installs omv-extras and openmediavault if not installed already.
    script that installs omv-extras and openmediavault if not installed already. - GitHub - OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript: script that installs…
    github.com

Let it run, then you'll have OMV installed.

If you need help, I'll be in discord for a little while (if you don't have discord you can create a free account at discord.com)

Join the OpenMediaVault Discord Server!
    Check out the OpenMediaVault community on Discord - hang out with 605 other members and enjoy free voice and text chat.
    discord.gg

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!