How to share multiple directories to a single user?

• I have 3-4 users in my OpenMediaVault instance, and each user has their own share folders that goes in backup/USERNAME where USERNAME is the username of the user. I want to share another folder to each user including their own shares. Is this possible?

• You can have as many shared folders / smb shares as you like. Can you explain, wht the issue is and wat you are trying to achive?

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• You can have as many shared folders / smb shares as you like. Can you explain, wht the issue is and wat you are trying to achive?

I have created a directory named "backup" and inside this directory I have directories for each user used as a share for their samba share. For example,

/srv/dev-by-uuid-xxxx/data/backup/user1

/srv/dev-by-uuid-xxxx/data/backup/user2

/srv/dev-by-uuid-xxxx/data/backup/user3

Now I also want to share another directory with a different path then "backup" directory. For example I also want to share /srv/dev-by-uuid-xxxx/data/media/Music with each user. So when they open their file manager on their PC for example and connect to their smb share, they see contents of both user directory and Music directory.

• You will have to teach your users to mount multiple smb shares

Create a new shared folder msic at /srv/dev-by-uuid-xxxx/data/media/Music

Give proper privileges to that shared folder

Create a smb share music from the shared folder

Ask your users to mount \\OMV\music in their windows explorer.

It would be easier if you used the OMV terminalogy to explain what you did (directory vs. shared folder vs. smb share)

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• I see. By directory, shared folder and smb share in the above post I meant the shares you create in OMV web interface.

So there is no way to have the same "OMV" share have 2 different paths shared to each user? So they just mount and log in to one thing and get 2 different shares?

• From Windows you mount a smb share. A smb share corresponds to one shared folder and one shared folder is backed by one directory on one disk.

So what you want is not possible, but where is the problem in mounting multiple shares?

You can try to work with ACLs / permissions on directories inside the shared folers is you must, but it is so much easier to use multiple smb shares.

• From Windows you mount a smb share. A smb share corresponds to one shared folder and one shared folder is backed by one directory on one disk.

So what you want is not possible, but where is the problem in mounting multiple shares?

You can try to work with ACLs / permissions on directories inside the shared folers is you must, but it is so much easier to use multiple smb shares.

I see. Thanks. I will make multiple shares then.

• apoorv569

Added the Label resolved
  • apoorv569

Added the Label OMV 6.x

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!