500 - Internal Server Error: Failed to create socket: Too many open files

• I'm trying to add a drive to my system but keep getting hung in Storage | File Systems with a 500 - Internal Server Error. Where do I start in resolving this?

Thanks.

---

Failed to create socket: Too many open files

OMV\Rpc\Exception: Failed to create socket: Too many open files in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc:615

Stack trace:

#0 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/filesystemmgmt.inc(214): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->asyncProc(Object(Closure))

#1 [internal function]: Engined\Rpc\OMVRpcServiceFileSystemMgmt->enumerateFilesystems(NULL, Array)

#2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)

#3 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/filesystemmgmt.inc(380): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('enumerateFilesy...', NULL, Array)

#4 [internal function]: Engined\Rpc\OMVRpcServiceFileSystemMgmt->getList(Array, Array)

#5 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)

#6 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(149): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('getList', Array, Array)

#7 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(588): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->OMV\Rpc\{closure}('/tmp/bgstatusKx...', '/tmp/bgoutput0Q...')

#8 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(159): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->execBgProc(Object(Closure))

#9 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/filesystemmgmt.inc(519): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethodBg('getList', Array, Array)

#10 [internal function]: Engined\Rpc\OMVRpcServiceFileSystemMgmt->getListBg(Array, Array)

#11 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)

#12 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('getListBg', Array, Array)

#13 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(537): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('FileSystemMgmt', 'getListBg', Array, Array, 1)

#14 {main}

Version7.0-32 (Sandworm)
    ProcessorAMD EPYC 7302P 16-Core Processor
    KernelLinux 6.1.15-1-pve
    HardwareDell R7515
  • Is there a way to fix this error, so I would be able to use the graphical interface?

If not how do I add a new drive to the system without web access?

Version7.0-32 (Sandworm)
    KernelLinux 6.1.15-1-pve
    HardwareDell R7515
  • our telepathic capabilities are quite limited and there is no mention of what you tried to fix this already

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Too many open files means, some programs hold many file handles (sockets are files in unix).

Either find out who is eating up your file handles or

increase the limits or

try if a reboot fixes that.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• try if a reboot fixes that.

would be my first approach for any issue too :)

ajaja I'd recommend to read https://opensource.com/life/16…w-ask-technical-questions specifically the part "Research"

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von mi-hol ()

• Too many open files means, some programs hold many file handles (sockets are files in unix).

Either find out who is eating up your file handles or

increase the limits or

try if a reboot fixes that.

Does not go away with reboot. Other than basic file services via SMB/CIFS, I run a number of Docker containers; unfortunately this error continues when I shut down all my containers.

How might I deduce what is eating my file handlers, and/or how do I increase the limits?

Version7.0-32 (Sandworm)
    KernelLinux 6.1.15-1-pve
    HardwareDell R7515
  • these are plenty of file handles. You are not hit by this limit. Try the other solutions in the thread. Use the lsof ... to find who is using sockets files.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• at end of post is the part:

"NGINX worker processes were launched by NGINX user. Ulimit (soft and hard) for nginx user was 65536. The ulimit and setting limits.conf did not work.

The rlimit setting in nginx.conf did not help either: worker_rlimit_nofile 65536;

The solution that worked was:

Code
    $ mkdir -p /etc/systemd/system/nginx.service.d
    $ nano /etc/systemd/system/nginx.service.d/nginx.conf    [Service]    LimitNOFILE=30000
    $ systemctl daemon-reload
    $ systemctl restart nginx.service

"

• Try the other solutions in the thread. Use the lsof ... to find who is using sockets files.

root@omv:~# lsof -u `whoami` | wc -l

I have no idea what that means.

Version7.0-32 (Sandworm)
    KernelLinux 6.1.15-1-pve
    HardwareDell R7515
  • NGINX

Should I be doing this if my initial thought is, "What is NGINX?"
    It looks like a load balancer. Why would I do that?

Version7.0-32 (Sandworm)
    KernelLinux 6.1.15-1-pve
    HardwareDell R7515

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ajaja ()

• ryecoaaron any chance there is a simple way out of this loop?

ryecoaaron

ryecoaaron

ryecoaaron

ryecoaaron

Version7.0-32 (Sandworm)
    KernelLinux 6.1.15-1-pve
    HardwareDell R7515
    • Offizieller Beitrag

As a temporary check to see if this fixes, try:

echo -e "* soft nofile unlimited\n* hard nofile unlimited" | sudo tee -a /etc/security/limits.conf

Then reboot

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Unfortunately no difference.

As a temporary check to see if this fixes, try:

echo -e "* soft nofile unlimited\n* hard nofile unlimited" | sudo tee -a /etc/security/limits.conf

Then reboot

root@omv:~# echo -e "* soft nofile unlimited\n* hard nofile unlimited" | sudo tee -a /etc/security/limits.conf

* soft nofile unlimited

* hard nofile unlimited

Version7.0-32 (Sandworm)
    KernelLinux 6.1.15-1-pve
    HardwareDell R7515
    • Offizieller Beitrag

It is unlikely to be an OS setting then. Maybe change rlimit_files in /etc/php/7.4/fpm/php-fpm.conf and restart php-fpm? But I'm really curious why that would be needed.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• It is unlikely to be an OS setting then. Maybe change rlimit_files in /etc/php/7.4/fpm/php-fpm.conf and restart php-fpm? But I'm really curious why that would be needed.

Doubled from 1024 to 2048; no go.

Version7.0-32 (Sandworm)
    KernelLinux 6.1.15-1-pve
    HardwareDell R7515
  • How many open files does your system have:

lsof | wc -l # may take a while to complete

I have 89812 open file handles in total

for omv:

Code
    root@omv:/etc# lsof -u openmediavault | wc -l

for www-data (web server)

Code
    root@omv:/etc# lsof -u www-data | wc -l

for root:

Code
    root@omv:/etc# lsof -u root | wc -l

and for my docker apps (your path may be different)

Code
    root@omv:/etc# lsof +D /srv/docker-apps | wc -l

and for docker itself (your path my be different e.g. /var/lib/docker)

user 1013 is a user inside a container I o not need a user in the host.

Look here for more examples:

https://www.thegeekstuff.com/2012/08/lsof-command-examples/

• root@omv:~# /etc# lsof -u openmediavault | wc -l

-bash: /etc#: No such file or directory

root@omv:~# /etc# lsof -u www-data | wc -l

root@omv:~# /etc# lsof -u root | wc -l

root@omv:~# /etc# lsof +D /srv/docker-apps | wc -l

root@omv:~# /etc# lsof +D /srv/docker-root | wc -l

zero

Version7.0-32 (Sandworm)
    KernelLinux 6.1.15-1-pve
    HardwareDell R7515

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!