If I install OMV6 on a new USB stick, will I be able to utilize the existing raid setup form OMV 4?

• I have an existing OMV 4 box that has a 10TB stripe (ext4) that I use for my media server. The OS is installed on a USB stick which it boots form, and the 4 internal drives make up the raid 0 volume.

If I remove the USB with OMV4 installed on it, put a new USB in and then install OMV6 to it, can I utilize the existing raid 0 stripe (using just the web interface not SSH since I know very little about Linux commands)? Is it safe to do so? Any concerns about accidentally removing or damaging the raid 0 in the process?

Thanks for any thoughts or input!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Technically yes, but you are running a raid0 I would suggest a working backup before attempting this, as if things do wrong you still have your data

Raid is not a backup! Would you go skydiving without a parachute?

OMV 6x amd64 running on an HP N54L Microserver

• I did a full re-install of ovm6 last night with 2 existing raids already set up, ovm6 recognised them, scanned and assembled them so they were sat waiting when I went into raid management, they just needed mounting then were good to go

• Technically yes, but you are running a raid0 I would suggest a working backup before attempting this, as if things do wrong you still have your data

Thanks yea, I have another OMV box that it backs up to. Would NEVER do anything without a solid backup. Definitely too much to lose!

• I did a full re-install of ovm6 last night with 2 existing raids already set up, ovm6 recognised them, scanned and assembled them so they were sat waiting when I went into raid management, they just needed mounting then were good to go

That's exactly what I was hoping. I'll double check my backup and give it a go! Thanks!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!