Clarifications about OMV6 Power Management and new environment variables

• Hi,

When reinstalling OMV6, I have noticed that the command "Standby" in the GUI has moved from systemctl suspend to systemctl hybernate. This is not good for my system.

I can also see the following in OMV6 changelog, but there's no documentation about these variables:

Code
      Add environments variables OMV_POWERMGMT_REBOOT, OMV_POWERMGMT_POWEROFF, OMV_POWERMGMT_SUSPEND, OMV_POWERMGMT_HIBERNATE and OMV_POWERMGMT_HYBRIDSLEEP to customize the reboot, power-off, ... power management commands.

My goal is restore the "suspend" function in "Power Management" section. I created a custom scheduled task, but isn't nice as having it in Power Management. Also, I'd like to use the "Standby" feature found in the GUI.

Hybernation isn't great for everybody, especially on installs like mine with a USB thumb drive, which are terribly slow when using hybernation.

Can this behaviour be customized with the new environment variables or am I seeing a different issue?

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), Several HDDs (Data) w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

My all-in-one SnapRAID script!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Looking at the code - https://github.com/openmediava…ystem/powermanagement.inc, if you change OMV_POWERMGMT_HIBERNATE to suspend, it should do what you want.

sudo omv-env set OMV_POWERMGMT_HIBERNATE "suspend"

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks! That's great, it works!

Still, I'm not sure why hybernation is the default option now, I don't think is ideal.

Anyway, I have applied the settings following the usual procedure :

Code
    sudo omv-env set OMV_POWERMGMT_HIBERNATE "suspend"
    monit restart omv-engined
    omv-salt stage run prepare
    omv-salt stage run deploy

The last step took almost 4 minutes, (Total run time: 223.039 s)

Dduring this period the system was on I/O wait and was writing a lot of data to the system disk.

I get it, I'm running OMV6 on a USB stick which is not super fast, but OMV5 used to take just a bunch of seconds to do run deploy, and this is a fresh install of OMV6!

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), Several HDDs (Data) w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

• Offizieller Beitrag

Still, I'm not sure why hybernation is the default option now, I don't think is ideal.

No idea. It still doesn't make sense to me why people sleep their servers lol

The last step took almost 4 minutes

You don't need to run the deploy step. Just the prepare step to update the salt grains. And those are one time steps anyway. So, it shouldn't really matter if takes a while.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

To keep energy consumption low and reduce CO2 footprint maybe!? Shouldn't be so hard to conclude. At least in a SOHO environment it does make a lot of sense.

Wow. Seven edits to tell me that. Did I irritate you with my comment? Did you not see the lol on the end? I know why people do it. I can think of plenty of reasons it does not make sense but that is for another time.

• Wow. Seven edits to tell me that. Did I irritate you with my comment? Did you not see the lol on the end? I know why people do it. I can think of plenty of reasons it does not make sense but that is for another time.

Not at all but I am not a native English speaker and try to be as polite as possible by writing proper English. And of course there are also proper reasons to not suspend a server. We all know that and don't need your brilliance for that. As a moderator you shouldn't underestimate the knowledge of the users here and stay on topic and not force an ideology on users when the TO just wants to suspend his server which is a legitimate ask.

• Offizieller Beitrag

We all know that and don't need your brilliance for that. As a moderator you shouldn't underestimate the knowledge of the users here.

At what point did I underestimate the knowledge of anyone? I made a funny comment about hibernation and you basically said I was stupid for not understanding why people would not hibernate their servers. And "all" people do not know that there are good reasons to not hibernate a server. It has been asked many times. Your comments have been proper english but far from polite. I will see my way out...

• At what point did I underestimate the knowledge of anyone? I made a funny comment about hibernation and you basically said I was stupid for not understanding why people would not hibernate their servers. And "all" people do not know that there are good reasons to not hibernate a server. It has been asked many times. Your comments have been proper english but far from polite. I will see my way out...

Sorry, I didn't want to be rude or unpolite. I apologize for that.

• No idea. It still doesn't make sense to me why people sleep their servers lol

Energy prices in Europe have always been higher compared to other locations like North America, and are skyrocketing due to the Ukrainian conflict.

Additionally I'm the only main user of my NAS, so I send it to sleep when I know nobody uses it.

You don't need to run the deploy step. Just the prepare step to update the salt grains. And those are one time steps anyway. So, it shouldn't really matter if takes a while.

I was following the official docs which instructed this way.
    Allright, won't do it in the future.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!