Is an NUC a good basis for a new server?

• Hi there.

I am currently running OMV 5 on an Odroid HC2 (upon which I run TVHeadend and a MYSQL database to record the resume status from various Kodi clients).

I am also running Home Assistant on a RPi 3B+ and also PiHole on a RPi 1B+.

I noted, the other day, that the RAM use on the HC2 was over 89% and I was wondering whether it was time to build a slightly more powerful server and have everything running on that instead.

For power consumptions and small footprint, I was thinking of a RPi 4.

However, I am not thinking of something like an NUC instead (also small, but lots more power for not a huge amount of additional power usage).

Do you think this is a good idea and, if so, what sort of NUC should I be looking at?

I was hoping to run OMV off a USB stick and then run all my programs, via docker, on an SSD drive and then add a 3.5" hard drive for all my storage.

• I made a similar journey like you with similar requirements and ended up with a solution like this here (sadly in german but Google Translate will do the job):

https://www.elefacts.de/test-1…a_und_passiver_4_kern_cpu

With the PicoPSU and passive CPU cooling it is completely silent except for the hard drives when they are spinning and the power consumption is very low. OMV, Docker/Portainer including tvheadend server runs on a SSD which I have split into a 16/200GB partition.

• That is a great build (and very impressive review), Backslash - do you not have a case fan on the Cooler Master case?

I am not using any of the suggested cases from the build proposal and also no case fan since I simply repurposed an old Midi-ATX tower for my built and the the airflow is good enough in that one. I monitor the temperatures and they are at all times fine in my roomy case. Neither the size nor the design has been a priority for me since my NAS sits in some hidden place in our apartment. But it's still my plan to change the case at some point but since everything works fine I am not in a hurry. While using a smaller case I would definately recommend a case fan and I think the suggested CoolerMaster case has one.

• Did you ever consider the ARM route, rather than x86?

May I just ask what sort of things you are running on your server?

I am still slightly tempted to upgrade to an Ordoid HC4 and try and run everything on that - just wish it had 8GB Ram, rather than the 4GB.

• Did you ever consider the ARM route, rather than x86?

May I just ask what sort of things you are running on your server?

I am still slightly tempted to upgrade to an Ordoid HC4 and try and run everything on that - just wish it had 8GB Ram, rather than the 4GB.

I did not consider ARM for the server yet even though I am a big fan even more so since the M1 Macs, having bought one myself as well and using Raspberries as Kodi clients. I still think x86 is the better option for a SOHO NAS/Server build like we are discussing here due to performance and compatibility reasons. My server mainly provides TV service (DVB-T2) through an internal TV card and Tvheadend running through Docker/Portainer. In addition the server acts as a file and movie server using SMB, Plex etc. So nothing special or unusual but I am not sure if I would be able to get my tv card running on an ARM platform and I also don't know whats the state in regards to Docker using an ARM platform as well and if or how that would work reliably at all. I also don't know if e.g. transcoding of movies using Plex or Jellybean would work reliably running ARM. Way too many unknowns for me which makes me reluctant to migrate to ARM for the time being. My server has 8GB RAM and that is hardly ever being utilized.

• I completely understand - I had so many issues with DVB cards that I went with a Digbit R1 SAT>IP Box, which I still use to this day.

Perhaps I will stick with ARM, then.

I just wish that some more Raspberry Pis would come back on to the market - the 8GB once would seem to be perfect for me but, from what I have read, there are not going to be any new stocks in the near future.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!