OMV6 upgrade time, need to consider rclone, zerotier and docker containers

• Hi All

I'm about to upgrade from OMV5.6.26-1 to OMV6 (omv-release-upgrade) but have concerns about some services I have running.

I have rclone v1.58.1 and zerotier v1.8.10 (on hold in omv ui, Apt Tool plugin) installed in the OMV5 OS.

Should I do anything in regards to these services prior to the upgrade?

Also what should be done with running docker containers prior to the upgrade process?

I've read through as much as can in the guides and forum, but didn't find anything about these topics.

• RonO

Hat das Label von OMV 5.x auf OMV 6.x geändert.
  • Hi KM0201

Rclone and Zerotier are not OMV plugins, they are installed packages in OMV itself.

It's more like questions of whether these programs and/or docker containers would interfere with the upgrade process.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi KM0201

Rclone and Zerotier are not OMV plugins, they are installed packages in OMV itself.

It's more like questions of whether these programs and/or docker containers would interfere with the upgrade process.

Ah.. Now I see.

docker containers shouldn't. As for the other packages... I have no idea.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You should be able to just upgrade except zerotier is not in the debian repo. So, you might have to upgrade that after upgrading the OS/omv.

• You should be able to just upgrade

Thanks ryecoaaron

I had a rummage through my desk drawers yesterday and found a spare 500GB SSD (bit of a size over kill for an OMV OS drive, but who cares).

So my thoughts are now, try the upgrade, and if that works, great. But if there are problems use plan B, do a fresh install on to the spare SSD, mount the old drive as a memory jogger for any configs the ole grey matter doesn't recall.

As for docker containers, should all containers be shutdown for the upgrade?

• You should be able to just upgrade

Well I tried :(

omv-release-upgrade ended with the following

Errors were encountered while processing:

proftpd-core

proftpd-mod-vroot

openmediavault

openmediavault-fail2ban

openmediavault-diskstats

openmediavault-nut

openmediavault-backup

proftpd-mod-crypto

proftpd-mod-wrap

openmediavault-symlinks

openmediavault-omvextrasorg

proftpd-basic

openmediavault-remotemount

openmediavault-sharerootfs

openmediavault-resetperms

openmediavault-sftp

openmediavault-locate

openmediavault-clamav

openmediavault-luksencryption

openmediavault-kvm

openmediavault-apttool

W: --force-yes is deprecated, use one of the options starting with --allow instead.

E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

After a server reboot it's still on OMV 5.6.26-1

Help please, I want to take the lazy way out and have this upgrade work.

I don't wanta do all the configuration of a fresh new install :)

• Just went to burn the latest iso image of OMV6 to usb incase I need to do a fresh install.

I thought I'd check if I had already downloaded the latest, so I suss out my iso folder, hmmm I've got version 6.0.24 and 6.0-34

6.0.24 being the currently available image on https://sourceforge.net/projec…nmediavault/files/6.0.24/ and https://www.openmediavault.org/download.html

How and where the hell have I gotten 6.0-34.iso on the 22nd March 2022 ? The dash in the file name makes me suspicious.

I'd hunt through my browser history if I hadn't changed laptops like 10 times since March.

Has there ever been a version 6.0-34.iso image made available?

It's no real biggy, as the 6.0-34.iso image was only used for creating a vm to have a quick look at version 6.

But it does concern me that there have been other suspect images available on the internet.

• Offizieller Beitrag

ended with the following

Errors were encountered while processing:

That isn't really helpful without the output before the end.

How and where the hell have I gotten 6.0-34.iso on the 22nd March 2022 ? The dash in the file name makes me suspicious.

Why are you suspicious? The dash means it is a revision of 6.0 (ie alpha). 6.0.24 is a release and is much newer than 6.0. You can't just look at the 24 and 34 to compare.

Has there ever been a version 6.0-34.iso image made available?

Yes. But any 6.x ISO will update to the same version (currently 6.0.29) once all updates are applied.

• Offizieller Beitrag

A more helpful omv-release-upgrade.txt file attached

I hate proftpd. I wish it was a plugin. proftp had issues upgrading which caused openmediavault to have problems which screwed up all of the plugins. I would try apt-get -f install

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for your help ryecoaaron, it appears the upgrade was corrupted by a failing motherboard.

I can't even get it to POST now.

Oh well I shouldn't complain as that server was built from old parts I had hanging around, and 2 new sata expansion cards, build cost $50.

Time for some new hardware.

Considering something with a Ryzen 6 core in it.

Something befitting OMV and the KVM Plugin.

proftpd

Is proftpd installed by default? I don't recall installing any ftp in omv5.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is proftpd installed by default? I don't recall installing any ftp in omv5.

Yep.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• apt-get -f install

Hi ryecoaaron

Finally get my hardware up and running again.

Tried to do the omv-release-upgrade, that returns -bash: omv-release-upgrade: command not found

Tried apt-get -f install, that returns what is listed in the attached apt upgrade.txt file

Is it worth trying to recover this omv installation? would it be better to do a clean install of omv6?

I would prefer to upgrade from omv5 to omv6, as I have other software installed and configured that I may not be able to recall how to set them up again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I need to re-read this thread. I don't remember what was going on.

Is it worth trying to recover this omv installation? would it be better to do a clean install of omv6?

I would prefer to upgrade from omv5 to omv6, as I have other software installed and configured that I may not be able to recall how to set them up again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If I had hours to post back and forth, we probably could get it fixed. If it was in front of me, I guarantee I could get it fixed.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you use zerotier ?

I had to google it...

I could add you to my network and you can ssh in.

Send me a PM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

How do I PM you?

Conversation button in top right. I sent you instead.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So, the biggest problem on this system was the proftpd-core had to finish installing before the openmediavault package could finish installing. But the post installation file for proftpd-core was trying to enable and start the proftpd service (even though it was disabled in OMV's config). I removed the lines that start and enable the service in the /var/lib/dpkg/info/proftpd-core.postinst file and then ran apt-get -f install. Everything completed installing fine. This would almost be difficult to script around this problem in the omv 5->6 upgrade.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!