OMV6 No Updates? Update Management returns nothing...

• Version
    6.0.29-1 (Shaitan)

Processor
    Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 v4 @ 2.40GHz

Kernel
    Linux 5.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64

Mostly I get nothing to update, just an empty list like this:

Most times I try, after some time this pops up, and I try hitting yes, but makes not difference...

If I go to settings and change the available sources, save and go to updates again, 2 updates show up... sometimes

Is OMV6 just too new and nothing to update yet?

I have OMV 5 running elsewhere and am trying to migrate to new server, just hoping to iron out any issues before I cut-over completely.

Am I missing something? I've looked for logs, but maybe not looking in the right place, any ideas?

• The installation I am migrating from is on the latest version of OMV, but the Update Management still shows hundreds of updates for minor components, OMV6 has no updates? or is it possible a problem under the hood which also causes the message about the update list being out of date?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Click apt clean in omv-extras. Do you still see lots of updates?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

In OMV5, yes still many updates shown after apt clean

in OMV6, sometimes 2, and pop-up but usually 0

Do you install them? You could always run from command line:

sudo omv-mkaptidx

sudo omv-upgrade

OMV 6 installs security updates every night automatically as well.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Do you install them? You could always run from command line:

sudo omv-mkaptidx

sudo omv-upgrade

I am not actively keeping the OMV5 up to date as it has limited space (reason for migrating) and I always assumed that many of the updates don't apply or are for components I don't use anyway.

My main concern is that OMV6 might be broken as it fluctuates between 0 and 2 updates available and keeps popping up the message about the update list being out of date as posted above (screenshot)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I always assumed that many of the updates don't apply or are for components I don't use anyway.

If the package shows an update, it is installed on your system. It should be updated whether you use it or not.

I am not actively keeping the OMV5 up to date as it has limited space

Updates should only use a little bit of space while downloading the updates. The overall system after updating (and running apt-get clean) should hardly grow at all.

My main concern is that OMV6 might be broken as it fluctuates between 0 and 2 updates available and keeps popping up the message about the update list being out of date as posted above (screenshot)

OMV 6 has very little to do with it. apt is what controls that. And the commands I gave you should fix just about any apt issue.

• OMV 6 has very little to do with it. apt is what controls that. And the commands I gave you should fix just about any apt issue.

OK, I thought those were just in relation to your comments about OMV5, I have run these on OMV6 now too, currently shows 0 updates.

Code
     omv-mkaptidx
    Creating index of upgradeable packages ...
    Creating index of openmediavault plugins ...
    Code
    omv-upgrade
    Building dependency tree... Done
    Reading state information... Done
    Calculating upgrade... Done
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

0 updates unless I go to settings and change the options and save (enable or disable pre-release and community) and those 2 updates will appear and it will tell me that the list is out of date

Zitat

If the package shows an update, it is installed on your system. It should be updated whether you use it or not.

OK, but when I see dozens of firmware updates for hardware I don't own, I assume it is just going to fill the last of the space, as does the apt-cache (there's really not much space left on the system partition)

• 0 updates unless I go to settings and change the options and save (enable or disable pre-release and community) and those 2 updates will appear and it will tell me that the list is out of date

You don't need to activate those settings on the update management unless you know what you're doing (which seems you don't).

Just keep those boxes unticked and OMV will show updates when there is something that needs to update.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The reason most packages are updated is security defects so you should be doing updates regularly. If you are using them is not the point. OMV and or debian is.

apt clean all at the cli will remove downloaded .deb and free up some space for you. You can also remove *.gz files from /var/log and it's sub directories. They have been rotated and are old. See the dates on them with ls -la.

• You don't need to activate those settings on the update management unless you know what you're doing (which seems you don't).

Just keep those boxes unticked and OMV will show updates when there is something that needs to update.

I don't want to activate those settings, my point is if I change them and save, the update management will show my 2 updates for a short time. Next time I check it will say 0 updates, I change those settings, even disabling them and the same 2 updates will come back. so something is inconsistent with the update mechanism. Is the advice is to just ignore "because I don't know what I'm doing"? :D

• Is the advice is to just ignore "because I don't know what I'm doing"?

The advice is just don't go checking boxes to check updates that aren't meant to be official ones.

The boxes you tick are checking versions that are beta or maintained by the community.

And you only want to use them, if you know what you're doing (again this statement)

When there's official updates regarding what you have installed and they're officially released by Debian or by OMV developers, they will show up.

If this makes sense to you, good.

If not, it's good too.

• If this makes sense to you, good.

If not, it's good too.

not even changing/enabling these settings! but which is it 0 updates or 2 updates?

libldap-2.4-2 2.4.59+dfsg-1~bpo11+1
    OpenLDAP libraries

Maintainer: Debian OpenLDAP Maintainers <pkg-openldap-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>

Homepage: https://www.openldap.org/

Repository: Debian Backports/bullseye-backports

Size: 227.39 KiB

rsyslog 8.2204.1-1~bpo11+1
    reliable system and kernel logging daemon

Maintainer: Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org>

Homepage: https://www.rsyslog.com/

Repository: Debian Backports/bullseye-backports

Size: 709.58 KiB

These are not community or pre-release updates but they only show up if I go into settings, tick a box then untick the box so that the save button comes up and press save. After that the 2 updates above will show up. Click off the page and come back 0 updates.

This makes no sense to me... so I'm good right?

• Offizieller Beitrag

enable or disable pre-release and community)

There is no reason to enable those. Nothing in them.

These are not community or pre-release updates but they only show up if I go into settings, tick a box then untick the box so that the save button comes up and press save. After that the 2 updates above will show up. Click off the page and come back 0 updates.

This makes no sense to me... so I'm good right?

Seems like browser cache or something.

• Offizieller Beitrag

And just so you know, every time you enable or disable those repos, it runs apt-get update. So, it is possible you will see an update just added to the repo.

• There is no reason to enable those. Nothing in them.

Seems like browser cache or something.

Using different browsers same behaviour. when those 2 updates appear they are always followed some seconds later by the message that the list is out of date.
    I checked the 2 updates that keep popping up and they are newer version of what I have installed, so tried installing them but apt had nothing to do...

update offers: libldap-2.4-2 2.4.59+dfsg-1~bpo11+1

apt has: libldap-2.4-2/stable-security,now 2.4.57+dfsg-3+deb11u1 amd64 [installed,automatic]

• Offizieller Beitrag

Using different browsers same behaviour. when those 2 updates appear they are always followed some seconds later by the message that the list is out of date.

Only when you keep enabling and disabling the unneeded repos? I can't reproduce this behavior. And if apt-get dist-upgrade from command line doesn't find anything, then there is nothing to install. You must be hitting some kind of cache.

• Only when you keep enabling and disabling the unneeded repos? I can't reproduce this behavior. And if apt-get dist-upgrade from command line doesn't find anything, then there is nothing to install. You must be hitting some kind of cache.

Yes, like I said it's not even when enabling, just tick and untick so that the save button enables.

I guess you are right about something cached someplace, I guess I will just wait until there is something to update again.

• Offizieller Beitrag

just tick and untick so that the save button enables.

But why are you doing this? There is no need to do this.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!