Replacing system/OS HDD

• Hi. My system HDD began to show SMART 187 error (Reported Uncorrectable errors), and after an extensive smart check with read failure and that adds 1 to Reported Unrecoverable errors raw value, i think it's time to replace my OS/System disk. I already have an fsarchiver backup on my data disks, but i want to know suggestions about the best procedure to replace the HDD: At this moment I have all SATA ports occupied, so if I want to connect failing and replacing HDD I have to disconnect any data disk (I think is not a problem, because I have main data disks without RAID array, only rsync duplication from main data disk to backup data disk). I think that procedure could be:

- Disconect backup data disk and connect replacement disk (Should I create any partition on replacement disk?).

- Boot OMV it failing disk

- Run FSArchiver recovery to replacement disk, from main data disk.

- Replace failing disk with replacent disk

- Reattach backup data disk.

Failed and replacement disks are of different capacities, but I don't think that should be a problem.

Any comment? anything that should be aware? any other easier procedure? (I also think to fsarchiver recovery to an temporal USB drive, temporal boot with that USB and recover to replacement disk, and later change disk, but I think that is more complicated).

Thanks in advance,

Luis Fernando

| OMV 7.0.4-2 Sandworm | AMD64 | Ryzen 3 3200G | 1x1TB SATA HDD (System) | 1x4TB SATA HDD Data 1x2TB SATA HDD Backup (Rsync) |

• Offizieller Beitrag

fsarchiver is only archiving the content of a filesystem. That means, before you are able to restore you need to create partitions and filesystems and restore the root filesystem with fsarchiver.

To achieve this you can do a fresh install and then replace the content of the root partition with the content of the backup.

Make sure to adjust the UUID of the root partition in /etc/fstab according to the new UUID of the fresh install.

Or change the UUID of the fresh install to be the same as the one on your failing drive.

Instead of booting OMV from the failing disk, it is better to boot from a Linux live distro (e.g. systemrescuecd). Or do the whole thing on another Linux system.

https://www.fsarchiver.org/

• Thanks macom. Finally i made a fresh install and reconfiguration with screenshots.

| OMV 7.0.4-2 Sandworm | AMD64 | Ryzen 3 3200G | 1x1TB SATA HDD (System) | 1x4TB SATA HDD Data 1x2TB SATA HDD Backup (Rsync) |

• lfalonso

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!