Unable to access docker share

• I installed docker on my NAS, and it works. But when I made a shared folder for the directory of docker just for easy access, I can't connect to it.

• I installed docker on my NAS, and it works. But when I made a shared folder for the directory of docker just for easy access, I can't connect to it.

It's probably a permission issue. docker puts some fairly strict permissions on that folder. Even if you try to change them, any time the docker service restarts, it's going to reapply them back to default (or that's what I've noticed with this in the past).

Honestly, there's no reason you should need access to that folder, so I'm not sure why you're putting it on SMB/NFS

• I need access to the volumes and configs, honestly it's just useful in general

And then, you have issues with permissions (as you're having).

Heck, you shouldn't even make a shared folder called appdata as it's seen in most youtube guides.

But if that's what you want/need, I hope you can sort it out.

Just don't advocate it so you won't make others think that it's a good thing, PLEASE.

• I do not understand, what you want to do:

- Do you want to have access to the docker root (/var/lib/docker)

- Do you want to have access to one of the directories you mount inside a container?

- Do you want to access it by cli / ssh or smb?

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• I want access to all volumes by smb

This is a bit much, as it may not work for all volumes. Some (many) programs running in a container expect some specific permissions on some files. So you will not be able to access all. And it is easy to mess it all up, if you write with the wrong permissions.

What you need to do:

- Create one shared folder to place all your volumes inside using the UI

- Create a smb share for this shared folder and make sure, your user has permissions to this shared fodler

- Test if you can create / read / write files an directories insode this directory.

- On the cli

. remove the SGID bit from the shared folder

. create the directories to be mounted inside this common directory, make them owned by your user make them rwx for user and owner

- use these directories as mounts inside your docker-compose.yml

- force the processes inside the container to run with your UID / GID either by using PUID=, PGID= (for linuxserver images) or by settung user: ... inside the docker-compose.yml

- Do not change ownership / permissions in any of the volues after the containers have been created, do not use the resetperms plugin

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• . remove the SGID bit from the shared folder

. create the directories to be mounted inside this common directory, make them owned by your user make them rwx for user and owner

- use these directories as mounts inside your docker-compose.yml

- force the processes inside the container to run with your UID / GID either by using PUID=, PGID= (for linuxserver images) or by settung user: ... inside the docker-compose.yml

I don't understand any of this, also I use portainer, which for some damn reason doesn't let you change the location of a volume. I don't know how to use docker compose.

• docker-compsose is equivalent to what portianer calls stacks.

You can not change the location of a volume on a created container. Just destroy the container and rebuild it.

If you use stacks, this is easy, I do not know how to do it with the UI in portainer without entering a new config.

• Me pulls up a big bucket of popcorns and watches the blockuster movie: "Spoonfeeding since nineteen-something..."

Sorry, couldn't help miself, :D

• And then, you have issues with permissions (as you're having).

Heck, you shouldn't even make a shared folder called appdata as it's seen in most youtube guides.

But if that's what you want/need, I hope you can sort it out.

Just don't advocate it so you won't make others think that it's a good thing, PLEASE.

I have an appdata folder, but I don't share it over the network. Its just where I store all my /config directories.

If I need to access it, I just do so via CLI

• I don't understand any of this, also I use portainer, which for some damn reason doesn't let you change the location of a volume. I don't know how to use docker compose.

All the more reason you should not be doing this. There is a reason this is not super easy, as already mentioned.

• I have an appdata folder, but I don't share it over the network. Its just where I store all my /config directories.

Ditto.

But the youtube guide gurus, (when I found OMV, and docker for that matter) first thing they would say was to create a shared folder on OMV named appdata and have all container volumes pointing to it.

Hence my rant, ;)

• If I made a yt video, it would be very boring watch me type ...

• If I made a yt video, it would be very boring watch me type ...

LOL.

Well with compose/stacks.. you really don't even need to create the directories in question (I almost never do).. I just let it get created when the container is deployed.. just make sure the path is right on where I want it.

• LOL.

Well with compose/stacks.. you really don't even need to create the directories in question (I almost never do).. I just let it get created when the container is deployed.. just make sure the path is right on where I want it.

Yes, this works, but for making them accessible by smb you have to set the permissions, so you can read write to them.

• Yes, this works, but for making them accessible by smb you have to set the permissions, so you can read write to them.

Understood... I'm just puzzled why anyone needs those folders over SMB? Personally, other than maybe during initial set up.. I never use them again.

• Understood... I'm just puzzled why anyone needs those folders over SMB? Personally, other than maybe during initial set up.. I never use them again.

I never had the need to do so. Maybe we attribute to "I don't understand any of this, ..." but "I want access to all volumes by smb"

Maybe having access to the data directories is what is needed, depending on the containers in use.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!