Newb: File system marked in Red...? (Backup not the same size as main directory)

• Hi,

(I'm running OMV 5.6.26-1.)

I had a bit of a fright this morning...

I successfully created a folder on my SMB share on my RAID 5 setup.

I then saved a file to this folder but couldn't see it in the Finder on my Mac.

Logged in to OMV and noticed several things: The main file system is marked in red and my Backup is way smaller than the main file system, which can't be right. I also got a big error message on login. See attachments.

The big error message (and some minor ones) persisted after reboot of the OMV system. I then shot down the OMV box entirely and rebooted my Mac. When everything came back up again, the various error messages had gone but the file system is still marked in red and the backup size doesn't match.

I reset ACL permissions and the contents of my folder re-appeared.

The persisting issues are the file system marked in red and the size mis-match.

Does anyone know what's up with my setup...? :) Is it just that the file system is nearly full...? Why the size mis-match releative to the backup...?

This is the top section of my log. Full log attached:

S

• Hmmm... Did a general Google search and I'm guessing the red filesystem is to say that my disks are filling up...

Would love to know why the backup isn't the same size as the main system though...

S

• How do you do your backups?

Does it pick up all of your RAID array?

Are you using compression?

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• How do you do your backups?

Does it pick up all of your RAID array?

Are you using compression?

Zoki,

I'm glad you asked... :) Would be good to have someone sensible have a look...

See attachments. I'm using Rsync to back my whole file system up to a single external drive. Hopefully I have two incremental updated and then one update which clones the file system at a longer interval.

Hope it makes sense. I don't want to trigger the scripts if there's something wrong with my main file system...

S

• What else is on the RAID array besides simon? Go to the cli and have a look at /srv: ls -lah /srv/*

You backup strategy does not work. You are backing up the files to the same location. If one file is changed (think encrypted) it is copied over the last good version. If you need multiple versions use rsnapshot which uses hard lings, so you caqn have several full copies with almost no additional space usage.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• I get

How do you suggest I do the backups? I don't need versioning as such just reliable copies. It's 99% image files btw...

S

• To mee it looks like on your raid array there are more files than the backup:

Code
    drwxrwsr-x 3 root users 4.0K Jan 12 13:20 Media
    drwxrws---+ 34 root users 4.0K Jun 23 10:07 simon
    drwxrwsrwx   5 root users 4.0K May 17 15:27 FamShare
    drwxrwsrwx   6 root users 4.0K Jun 23 09:15 LorraineTM

only simmon is in the backups. Therefore you use less space on the backup disk. But that is only guessing, as you only showed the rsync for simon.

I would not waive multiple versions, because if your disk gets encrypted by some virus, an older version may be your only friend.

Use rsnapshot to copy all of the RAID array to your backup disk and keep versions for x days and y monthes.

(I have 60 days and 6 months).

And store some off site backups, check 3-2-1 backup strategy.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!