[solved] 403 forbidden after 1-2 day running (after fresh installation)

• Hi there,

another odd issue (maybe combined with this: Installation on Hetzner Cloud: DNS issue )

I could setup my OMV6 well, also was able to access via SSH and via SMB

I did a config change to make OMV6 more secure by enforcing to use HTTPS instead of HTTP (which was also running during all configurations)

The OMV was working now for about 30h (2 nights) and today the webUI is not accessible anymore

I am getting

via https://<IP> and via https://mydnsname.com

403 Forbidden

nginx

---------------

via http://<IP> and via http://mydnsname.com

it redirects to https://<theEnteredWay>

and therefore also to the above 403 page

----------------

found this in the syslog

Code
    monit[930]: 'omv-engined' failed to start (exit status 1) -- '/bin/systemctl start openmediavault-engined': Failed to start openmediavault-engined.service: Unit openmediavault-engined.service is masked.#012

I have no clue why this happens. And this is the result:

Code
    ls -l /etc/systemd/system/|grep openme
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    9 Jun 26 17:44 openmediavault-beep-down.service -> /dev/null
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    9 Jun 26 17:44 openmediavault-beep-up.service -> /dev/null
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    9 Jun 26 17:44 openmediavault-cleanup-monit.service -> /dev/null
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    9 Jun 26 17:44 openmediavault-cleanup-php.service -> /dev/null
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    9 Jun 27 09:57 openmediavault-engined.service -> /dev/null
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    9 Jun 26 17:44 openmediavault-issue.service -> /dev/null

Any hints how to narrow the problem down?

Any hints how to fix?

• KM0201

Approved the thread.
  • Code
    systemctl unmask openmediavault-engined
    systemctl enable openmediavault-engined
    systemctl start openmediavault-engined

tried it

Code
    ~# systemctl unmask openmediavault-engined
    Removed /etc/systemd/system/openmediavault-engined.service.
    ~# systemctl enable openmediavault-engined
    Failed to enable unit: Unit file openmediavault-engined.service does not exist.

failing on second command

• I did a config change to make OMV6 more secure by enforcing to use HTTPS instead of HTTP (which was also running during all configurations)

The OMV was working now for about 30h (2 nights) and today the webUI is not accessible anymore

What else did you do? Or what else happened?

Did you install some additional software or service.

• the server was running and restarted was not touched over the night

It could be that the auto update of apt was running over night, but this should not cause such issues?

• Which auto update? OMV installs only security updates automatically. Did you install something like unattended-upgrades?

yes, this is getting installed with a default stack for debian and ubuntu servers

Is it prohibited with OMV6?

What is the output of

dpkg -l | grep openmedia

this is funny

Code
    dpkg -l | grep openmedia
    rc  openmediavault                 6.0.30-1                       all          openmediavault - The open network attached storage solution
    ii  openmediavault-keyring         1.0                            all          GnuPG archive keys of the OpenMediaVault archive

I never deinstalled openmediavault

checked even the bash history, no

dpkg or apt command with remove or purge triggered

Code
    openmediavault
  • Try

apt install --reinstall openmediavault and post the output

and check log files in /var/log/apt

got it

Code
    apt install --reinstall openmediavault

The following packages will be REMOVED:
    ntp
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    chrony openmediavault

NTP is our default setup for all servers, and thus part of our packages we install on all distributions

Is there a mandatory requirement of OMV6 to chrony?

• okay got the dependency in terms of the deb dependency with your pinpointing

but for me is unclear if OMV6 really needs Chrony or would a NTP compatible solution fulfill the requirements.

I have to modify now our system management environment to skip NTP on openmediavault installations, but as you can assume I am not happy about it, since now I have a "odd" NTP management of hosts, which depend on openmediavault

If OMV6 is dependending on chrony, why specifically chrony was choosen and where is the dependency comming from?

• OMV is writing configuration files based on the user input in the GUI. For that the developer has to decide, for which service the configuration shall be written. For time server chrony was chosen.

So if you want to use OMV, you have to use chrony. Or use something else as NAS software.

• hkais

Changed the title of the thread from “403 forbidden after 1-2 day running (after fresh installation)” to “[solved] 403 forbidden after 1-2 day running (after fresh installation)”.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!