latest update fails compiling zfs module (kernel 5.18)

• I just did a omv-upgrade on the console and the update process tried to upgrade from 5.16 to 5.18. While compiling the kernel there was an error compiling the zfs module which resulted in no zfs available when booting the new kernel. I could temp fix this by rebooting and selecting the old 5.16, but I am not wondering how I can fix this by getting back into a sane state, either removing that latest update with the 5.18 from my system or retrying the build.

Any help appreciated.

below some errors of the logs. Seems like problems in the build script, so I cam really clueless how to fix this:

• Offizieller Beitrag

zfs 2.1.4 doesn't compile on the 5.18 kernel. You will have to wait until zfs 2.1.5 is in the repo. We can't control Debian from doing this. So, as raulfg3 says, use the proxmox kernel.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• thanks for the explanation guys! Will do the change once I find it again in the new gui! ;) Still trying to figure out where everything is after the change from 5 to 6.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That is actually something that has changed. There is now a new "kernel"plugin to install

• That is actually something that has changed. There is now a new "kernel"plugin to install

explains why I did not find it after the upgrade to v6 nicely. It is all done and working again. Only thing left for me is find a way to get rid of that 5.18 kernel. It is still sitting in my grub list. Should I go to the command line for that and uninstall it in the normal debian style with apt or is there a gui option to remove a certain kernel?

• well, thats only for the proxmox stuff right? I just got that installed to get rid of my problem. I was talking about the "normal" kernel which got installed during one of the latest updates before I even had the kernel plugin (and proxmox) installed. But maybe I am looking at this the wrong way. As OMV is ment to make everything easier for the normal home user, it is not ment to be to fizzle around with kernels in the first place, so there is no option to mess with the normal flow of kernel updates. I can respect that. Makes sense in a way. It is more of "nice to have" thing anyway. I have set the proxmox as default kernel now and can just patiently wait until the normal update process kicks the 5.18 kernel out of the system because at some point in the future it will be "the old" which gets automatically deleted anyway.

All good!

• Hello,

since some weeks ago I also got Errors while installing updates. The problem is to remove the old zfs DKMS files and building the new one. The system is running using Proxmox Kernel, so it seems that building this module is not necessary.

I don't know when and why this started happen, but I know that this erreors has not shown while I am starting using OMV6 with proxmox kernel and ZFS. Any Idea how to remove this error?

Thanks and Regards

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!