OMV6 OpenVPN Client

• I'm sorry, maybe I didn't understand something, but I can not find a way how to connect my NAS to my OpenVPN server.

Where can I find a tutorial or at least a few tips how to use OpenVPN in mediavault6 .

• OpenVPN plugin was not ported in OMV 6.

If you use a Raspberry Pi, the fastest method to configure OpenVPN or better Wireguard is to use pivpn through Linux CLI: https://docs.pivpn.io/

• What are you looking for exactly?

• Site-to-Site VPN
    • OpenVPN as main gateway
    • Only for certain services
    • Raod warrior setup

There are so many possibilities how to use OpenVPN.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• OpenVPN plugin was not ported in OMV 6.

If you use a Raspberry Pi, the fastest method to configure OpenVPN or better Wireguard is to use pivpn through Linux CLI: https://docs.pivpn.io/

Am I right if I say OpenVPN is better if I don't have a static IP and want to connect from different devices - Windows 10/11, MacOS, Android, iOS?

What are you looking for exactly?

• Site-to-Site VPN
    • OpenVPN as main gateway
    • Only for certain services
    • Raod warrior setup

There are so many possibilities how to use OpenVPN.

My case - we have a little NAS in our kindergarten, based on OMV6, Intel i3 cpu, 16ram, 2x8tb hdd. Everything is great, but we want our teachers get access to the shared folders from their houses on all their devices (laptops, phones).

I wanted to rent a VPS server, launch a VPN server on it and connect to that server our NAS and our teachers' devices. I just don't know how to launch OpenVPN client on our NAS? Docker? But I didn't find any instructions about OpenVPN client, all the instructions about servers. Maybe you know where I can search for it?

Did I chose the right way to solve that problem?

• With dynamic IP you can install a DDNS client that follow you public IP if it change (like DuckDNS: http://www.duckdns.org/ or other).

Wireguard is a multi platform service and have multi platform clients: https://www.wireguard.com/install/

If you have access to NAS CLI, you can install all above services on NAS Linux OS then open port for OpenVPN/Wireguard on router.

For OpenVPN Server and Client, pivpn allow to install all on Debian and Ubuntu also, so, what is your NAS Linux OS?

• My case - we have a little NAS in our kindergarten, based on OMV6, Intel i3 cpu, 16ram, 2x8tb hdd. Everything is great, but we want our teachers get access to the shared folders from their houses on all their devices (laptops, phones).

I wanted to rent a VPS server, launch a VPN server on it and connect to that server our NAS and our teachers' devices. I just don't know how to launch OpenVPN client on our NAS? Docker? But I didn't find any instructions about OpenVPN client, all the instructions about servers. Maybe you know where I can search for it?

Did I chose the right way to solve that problem?

In my opinion you are on the right track with your solution, as it complicates things.

These are the options I would consider (in that order):

1. Run nextcloud or something similair on OMV, so no client install is required in the teachers devices
    2. Run OpenVPN (or whatver VPN the router supports) on the router in the kindergarden
    3. Run OpenVPN on the NAS itself

You will need a DDNS service to keep the dynamic IP updated in the DNS, but that is easy, some router vendors have a service or you can use DuckDNS or anything else.

For options 2 and 3 you have to think about a firewall as you open the kindergarden network to each device a teacher owns. And key management will get an issue if you have more than a few devices (It is good practive to have a seperate key per device or user).

A seperate VPS is just another server to maintain ...

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Hey Hey,

I have a similiar problem:

I already rented a public server, that has a OpenVPN server installed, configured and the necessary certificates created and distributed for said public server installation.

I also use OMV 6 that I have configured the normal way, but also installed the openVPN Client from the normal packet repository (e.a. installed with apt-get ....)

The client is configured and comes automatically up at start up and connects to the server, no problem: the tun interface gets its VPN-IP.

AND now we come to the main problem:

OMV detects the created tun interface in the web-based statistics overview as a valid interface, BUT there seems no way of getting OMV to accept the tun interface as a valid, configured interface in the "interfaces menu". The tun interface just does not show up there.

Therefore I can't bind my samba service to the tun interface.

Has anybody ever successfully configured a tun interface, so one can use it in OMV?

@shtyrovvs this is the last hurdle. If this problem can be solved, I can help you set up your systems the same way I did setup mine. Lets hope someone has a solution for my problem.

Best regards,

wuffel

• hey @wuffeldiwuf, I have exactly the same problem, did you happen to figure out an solution?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!