Can not install ZFS plugin on OMV6

• Kernel Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 5.15.39-1-pve

OMV version 6.0.31-2 (Shaitan)

How to fix it? Fresh indtallation.

Code
     500 - Internal Server Error
    Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin
     export LANG=C.UTF-8
     export LANGUAGE=
     export DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive
     apt-get --yes --allow-downgrades --allow-change-held-packages --fix-missing --allow-unauthenticated --reinstall install openmediavault-zfs 2>&1' with exit code '100': Reading package lists... Building dependency tree... Reading state information... Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable distribution that some required packages have not yet been created or been moved out of Incoming. The following information may help to resolve the situation: The following packages have unmet dependencies: zfsutils-linux : Depends: libnvpair3linux (= 2.1.5-1~bpo11+1) but 2.1.4-pve1 is to be installed Depends: libuutil3linux (= 2.1.5-1~bpo11+1) but 2.1.4-pve1 is to be installed Depends: libzfs4linux (= 2.1.5-1~bpo11+1) but 2.1.4-pve1 is to be installed Depends: libzpool5linux (= 2.1.5-1~bpo11+1) but 2.1.4-pve1 is to be installed E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages. 
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Disable backports in omv-extras.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

and install Proxmox kernell prior to instal ZFS plugin

First line of first post says the PVE kernel is installed. That is why there is a problem. Right now, the version of zfs in debian backports is newer than the proxmox kernel. So, until that changes, backports must be disabled.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

It seems my kernel is proxmox or not?

5.15.39-1-pve tells me it is proxmox.

Also noticed that plugin does not see any disks.

It will only show you wiped disks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

wipe your disks in the Physical disks tab.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You are trying to get details when nothing is selected. I need to force a selection for that button to work.

https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…2af349246042358a6c5d5834e

• You are trying to get details when nothing is selected. I need to force a selection for that button to work.

https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…2af349246042358a6c5d5834e

Yes thank you, for me it was logical, but when I saw enabled menu I decided maybe now before create pool I have to enter parameters.

And I know it is offtopic here, but also I found issue with ups plugin

as workaround I can probably just edit config.xml in /etc/openmediavault, but do not understand which conflict it has.

• So, I fixed this by doing the following (amd64):

1. Remove everything zfs related, and install the stable version of the kernel

apt-get remove libzfs4linux libzpool4linux openmediavault-zfs zfs-auto-snapshot zfs-dkms zfs-zed zfsutils-linux
      apt-get install linux-image-amd64/stable linux-headers-amd64/stable
      apt auto-remove

2. Remove all kernels that aren't in the stable package (5.10)
      dpkg -l | grep linux-image
      apt-remove --purge linux-image-5.18.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 # repeat for each item listed above
    3. With the OMV Kernel plugin, make sure 5.10 is selected as the default Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 5.10.0-16-amd64 as of this writing.
    4. Reinstall everything (plugin pulls in all deps):
      apt-get install openmediavault-zfs
      reboot
    5. Once the system came back online, I did a ZFS Import in the web-UI (Import all).
    6. Then rebooted again to make sure everything started correctly.

No problems after that.

Why did I do this?

I didn't use the proxmox kernel before, and don't want to use it now. I don't have VMs on my NAS, and don't want a kernel that's "less battle tested".

• Offizieller Beitrag

I didn't use the proxmox kernel before, and don't want to use it now. I don't have VMs on my NAS, and don't want a kernel that's "less battle tested".

Using the proxmox kernel has nothing to do with running VMs. The original reason for adding it was that it was stable version (backports is usually a moving target) and the zfs module was built-in eliminating the problematic compiling. As for being less battle tested, I disagree. The proxmox kernel is a minimally modified Ubuntu kernel (very stable on the hundreds of Ubuntu systems I maintain in the enterprise). And since Proxmox is using a Debian userland, running the Proxmox kernel on OMV is a perfect fit. I have been doing it for years on many systems including production systems. The Proxmox kernel also offers better hardware support than the standard Debian kernel. You can use whatever kernel you like but that is your preference. I don't think I have ever seen the proxmox kernel cause a problem.

• Using the proxmox kernel has nothing to do with running VMs. The original reason for adding it was that it was stable version (backports is usually a moving target) and the zfs module was built-in eliminating the problematic compiling. As for being less battle tested, I disagree. The proxmox kernel is a minimally modified Ubuntu kernel (very stable on the hundreds of Ubuntu systems I maintain in the enterprise). And since Proxmox is using a Debian userland, running the Proxmox kernel on OMV is a perfect fit. I have been doing it for years on many systems including production systems. The Proxmox kernel also offers better hardware support than the standard Debian kernel. You can use whatever kernel you like but that is your preference. I don't think I have ever seen the proxmox kernel cause a problem.

I'm glad to hear you haven't had any issues, I'm just quoting what proxmox staff themselves have stated.

As for running VM, the research I've read indicates it's optimized for VMs. In fact, that seems to be proxmox's "thing".

Their own github even indicates various settings configured to help with VMs: https://github.com/proxmox/pve-kernel.

I ran Gentoo for over a decade, I've been jaded by system breakages, and want to diverge as little from the baseline system as possible. This means default debian kernel, minimal community maintained packages, that sort of thing.

I don't care about "bleeding" edge, as far as it goes here. I just want it to work.

Anyway, I appreciate your feedback on it. :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

As for running VM, the research I've read indicates it's optimized for VMs. In fact, that seems to be proxmox's "thing".

I understand that. I was saying the reason I added the ability to install the proxmox kernel in omv-extras has nothing to do with VMs. You also can't really un-optimize a kernel for being used as a NAS.

I'm glad to hear you haven't had any issues, I'm just quoting what proxmox staff themselves have stated.

This isn't just me. This is years of recommending the kernel to people on the forum and those people also having an excellent experience.

want to diverge as little from the baseline system as possible. This means default debian kernel, minimal community maintained packages, that sort of thing.

I don't care about "bleeding" edge, as far as it goes here. I just want it to work.

I also used Gentoo for many years (Linux in general for almost 25 years). The proxmox kernel is not bleeding edge. Currently, it is the same version as Ubuntu 22.04 LTS. I work in the enterprise and appreciate stability. I want things to work as well and don't recommend things that don't work. The 5.10 and 5.15 are both LTS kernels as well. So, neither should be a bad choice.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!