Raspberry Pi 4, Orico 4 bay external USB 3 enclosure, disk unmounting, verify my solution

• Hello,

I'd like to ask you for help with my RPI4 OMV 6 setup. I hope it's not too long.

TL;DR; I'd like to confirm, that my solution using mount -a in a cron job every few minutes is a good idea for dismounting discs in Orico enclosure.

Some context:

I have freshly installed OMV 6 using the script from https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…-Developers/installScript.

I'm using recommended official Raspbian (11 without desktop).

I have Orico 4 bay USB 3 enclosure (with power supply) connected directly / or indirectly through hub to RPi 4 USB 3 port.

Inside I have 3 disks of sizes 1TB - 4TB. I use EXT4 on all of them.

No raid.

Enclosure: https://www.amazon.com/ORICO-E…age-9548RU3/dp/B07XL1QQY9

All installation, setup etc. works flawlessly, no issues on that front.

Issue:

I see the disks, can use them with shared folders, I can access them over network and all works well and fast.

After some time of inactivity (it seems), the disks unmount or something... in UI they are marked as "unmounted" and in dmesg/log there are error messages about accessing them (see below).

What I've found so far

I'm already searching for solution for few months and read many answers in this and other forums. I'll add links to the bottom of this post for completeness.

Seems like it's an issue of Orico enclosure that will simply put disks to sleep and spin them down after some period that can't be setup in its configuration software (on Windows). Sometimes OMV/Linux works fine with that, on usage, it wakes up the disks, spins them up and I can use them. Sometimes it just doesn't and all fails.

It sometimes happens after few minutes, sometimes after many hours.

What seems to help is using mount -a as suggested in another thread here (see links below).

By that I mean when the issue appears, I need to wait for enclosure to "get ready", system needs to spit all the errors in log and after that, running mount -a simply restores them and all works. For now I have it as a cron job running every 5 minutes. May change that to 1 minute later.

What didn't help (for context)

• I've tried configuring OMV's Advanced Power Management for disks in various ways but it seems irrelevant; now I have it turned off
    • I've tried config tool from Orico (Windows) and set various combinations of "sleep" intervals (0, 1000000, etc...)
    • I've experimented with some tips about mounting options in fstab and quirks etc.
    • I've tested multiple setups regarding physical power supply (RPi its own official supply, direct and indirect USB connection with USB 2 and 3 hubs etc.)
    • I've tried running with combinations of disks (only one etc.)
    • I've originally started with same enclosure, but RPi 2, USB 2 and OMV 5; same issue, probably even more frequent (subjectively)
    • I've experimented with some USB configuration (autosuspend, delay_use and whatnot)

What I'm asking for

I'd like to ask if this solution is "safe" and really best one I can have?

Is there any risk to my disks, data or something?

Is there any alternative? Apart from buying other/better enclosure? (I have seen such advices. Thanks. But that's not the question. Some could suggest buying Synology then).

It really feels like a dangerous hack, ignoring all those errors.

I'm really grateful for all the work you put in this and the support, the install script is really awesome, I really hope I'll be able to use this setup/software and maybe even help somehow.

Links

- https://www.reddit.com/r/OpenM…periodically_dismounting/ (general talk, mostly about power supply)

- https://wiki.omv-extras.org/do…ide#initial_configuration (installation I used)

- https://forums.raspberrypi.com…a8c7d50251914e3554bd17b70 (USB issues on RPI4)

- https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=245931 (quirks and drives on usb RPI4 and other fun)

- Auto mount USB drive when reconnected (very similar mounting issue)

- https://forums.raspberrypi.com…a12875667b49afdfd63b8b716 (RPI 4 external disk and mounting)

- Problem with Orico Series - Unmounted Disk after a while (the closest post of all forums I've found, there are the error messages I see in logs; exactly the same ones in dmesg)

• chente

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

This has come up on here before in relation to this make, in essence the unit goes to sleep/hibernates, they are designed primarily for windoze use, the 'sleep mode' is written in firmware and cannot be disabled.

I believe the solution is to 'pole' the unit using a cron job so as to 'keep it awake'

• Set up a cron job, which does a touch /file/on/the/disks every few minutes, so it wont go to sleep.

The mount -a is too much for my taste.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Thank you both kindly for quick answers!

I'll give it a shot.

But may I ask, using touch will wake up the enclosure and also spin up the disks, won't it? I tried and it does.

I'm no HDD expert, but I was hoping to keep the disks spun down to extend their lifetime and save energy and noise.

Is that wrong expectation? Should I just keep them spinning all the time?

Or even with touch I could use advanced power settings to spin them down or something?

My use-case is simple home long-term storage, not very often needed, say once a day max, so 24/7 spinning seems inefficient.

Thanks again!

• This will keep the disks spinning and acessable. Only a workaround.

No other idea, sorry.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Offizieller Beitrag

My use-case is simple home long-term storage, not very often needed

Then the fact that enclosure goes to sleep is not an issue either, simply running Zoki suggestion via ssh would be the solution to wake up the enclosure when you want to access it if you don't want the drives spinning 24/7.

• Thanks for suggestion, yes, I considered this option too.

But I have Windoze users mostly who would struggle with that. I mean, even running a prepared script/"icon" before accessing the shares from the desktop would be pain for them. Still a kind of automation I can try, some PowerShell that will wake the disks up and then lets user open the folder.

One benefit of my current mount -a solution seems to be, that it doesn't spin the disks up. At least not every time.

I had the disks spun down for good 8 hours, while cron was kicking in every 5 mins. And when I tried to access them, it failed for the first time, they spin up and once cron runs "mount -a" it all works.

So my question is in what "mount -a" every minute could be worse than "touch"? Sorry for my ignorance in this, I really don't know.

I can imagine it generates tons of error logs whenever this wakeup happens. But apart from that, it seems ideal to me.

I will accept even "feels like a bad idea" answer, since it does to me as well :))

• the thing about mount -a is: I do not know why it works and it is more global than directly operating on the culprit.

But if it works ...

• Offizieller Beitrag

One benefit of my current mount -a solution seems to be, that it doesn't spin the disks up. At least not every time.

I had the disks spun down for good 8 hours, while cron was kicking in every 5 mins. And when I tried to access them, it failed for the first time, they spin up and once cron runs "mount -a" it all works.

I think this something of a trial and error as there may not be be a specific answer just a possible solution, I did find the other thread look at posts #23 #34 #35

Having gone back over your first post it seems you have found the original post regarding the Orico and it looks as if you have tried various suggestions, I know from one post in the 2015 Whirlpool thread one option is to simply power cycle the unit if it cannot be accessed. But whatever you do it's going to trial and error, good luck with it.

• Thanks both again :thumbup:

Yep, like I said, looking at this for months already.

I think mount works because it will see there are disks expected in fstab and they are ready but not mounted. Enclosure must be ready by that time.

I will try some more and report back here.

I guess we can consider this closed. :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I guess we can consider this closed

I would like to leave this open, if you find a workable solution then posting that back here may help someone else in the future. If the mount option works and works from any windows machine, whilst crude, it's a workaround.

• I just wanted to report back after a while. Didn't have that much time for it recently.

But I'm experimenting with device timeout settings and it seems to be affecting it a bit at least.

It's not a final solution, still sometimes the device needs to wait for the whole timeout, then throw all the errors mentioned above and then "sudo mount -a" will fix it again. But it's happening less often, seems. I'll experiment more with that and report here again.

Here's what I have so far:

It's based on following links:

https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Timeout_Mismatch

https://unix.stackexchange.com…isconnect-and-data-corrup

https://unix.stackexchange.com…nux-attempting-task-abort

What I plan next is to play with more values of these timeouts and then try to find a way to capture the event when the timeout is happening and immediately re-mount given device. Seems to me that would be relatively clean solution. It's what I actually expected OMV to try after some time, to re-mount the known drives.

Anyway, enough spam, I'll report back later.

Cya

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von LordMsz () aus folgendem Grund: Script typo

• Hello, reporting after some time with a short update.

Setting the timeouts (previous post) higher changed the behavior, the connecting client was waiting longer and it seemed sometimes it helped. But I think it was just a feeling, overall the issue remains the same.

Lowering the timeouts made the "unmount" of disks a little faster, but not as fast as I though, like ~5s. So not a solution too.

Having a task running "mount -a" every minute works quite reliably, but sometimes it's still slow.

My next attempt is to find some system event I could follow up with action to remount the drives.

Another one later will be to try waking up disks in some periods, say every 8 hours, just for a short time and spin them down immediately. So far it seems that it's enough to keep the unit "informed" that it's needed and it will always properly work. Imo that would be the best solution, to have the disks spin ~3 times a day for a minute, spin them down with "hdparm" but at all other times it would work normally.

Will keep you posted.

Thx!

• Hi all,

after all the struggle I report again with final failure.

I tried waking up the unit in intervals, tried to setup some kernel error watch / handling etc... with no success at all.

My final solution is simple, for the data that I want right away I simply connected a separate USB external drive that just works flawlessly, first time. No issue since then at all.

That Orico unit is really problematic, but for my needs of long-term storage it's fine. When I need it, I can give it some time to catchup.

So my final solution is running "sudo mount -a" every 3 minutes. It's mostly harmless, seems. No logs produced, nothing happening when the unit is sleeping. When I need to use the data there, I try to access it. It sometimes works, sometimes fails. When it fails, in under ~3 minutes it's back up and I can work. But it does produce "million" error logs and doesn't seem healthy for any serious usage (e.g. work environment).

If anyone would like to use it more actively, as suggested by others above, keeping the unit awake all the time with simply "touch"-ing some file would work. But it would keep the disks spinning 24/7.

Sorry guys I don't have better news, but I also don't have enough time to invest in some kernel debugging. The timeouts solution above may be near, idk.

Thanks for all your support!

• Orico Usb 3.0 Hub works fine with Raspberry Pi 4.

For a HDD or SSD disk you need a SATA -USB bridge in form of a cable or a Case that has that internal. Very often these SATA-USB Bridges are using a chip e.g. JMS578 which may cause the issues you have.

Try to add in the /boot/cmdline.txt file of your Rasberry a so called usb-storage.quirks=VID:PID:u command.

This has solved all my issues with the Orico USB 3.0 Hub.

Read here what you must do (success):

https://www.pragmaticlinux.com…your%20Raspberry%20PI%204.

• I recently bought an ORICO 5 bay enclosure and came across this post because I noticed that the disks were spinning down, even when I have this setting deactivated for all of them.

All my disks are used in a mergerfs pool.

For now, I have noticed that, indeed, some disks spin down after some inactivity, so it seems that he unit has some kind of hardware energy management system.

In my case it doesn't affect the normal use, since whenever I need a file that is on a disk, it takes a few seconds but then I can access normally. No problems detected on units unmounting, etc. but will report in a few days.

• On two occasions, I had a 2-drive Orico dock mysteriously go to sleep and took out the partition. The drives are good, just the partitions got corrupted. It didn't take much web sleuthing to see this company has some sort of issue with shutdowns/sleep on a number of products so I tossed it in the trash. The drives are now in a Synology 2-bay box and are working just fine.

7.0.5-1 (Sandworm)

Processor Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.5

Linux 6.6.20+rpt-rpi-v8

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!