How to set grub to boot into latest kernel?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I cannot get grub to boot into the latest kernel. OS filesystem is btrfs

Here the /etc/default/grub

after running grub-update I get

but after reboot I still get the 5.16 kernel

Code
    19:41:20 root@hawk:/# uname -a
    Linux hawk 5.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Debian 5.16.12-1~bpo11+1 (2022-03-08) x86_64 GNU/Linux
    19:42:05 root@hawk:/# 

Before that I tried to set the latest kernel by the kernel plugin, but that did not change anything either.

Thanks for ideas

• macom

Hat den Titel des Themas von „How to set grub to boot into latest kernel“ zu „How to set grub to boot into latest kernel?“ geändert.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Do you have grub installed on more than one drive? You could also just remove the 5.16 kernel. apt-get will warn you but you can still do it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I just think update-grub might be writing to the wrong drive.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

/boot/grub/grub.cfg

on the old drive is just showing the 5.16 and 5.10 kernel

but maybe it is booting from the old drive. When moving to the new drive I cloned with clonezilla and changed the UUID of the old boot filesystem. So the entry in grub.cfg on the old drive is pointing at the new drive.

Will attach a monitor and check.

Thank

• Offizieller Beitrag

changing the uuid won't change anything with the bios choosing which drive to boot from.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yep, that is what I thought. Now connected a monitor. Weird thing is, that the boot menu showed two options. The current drive (USB thumb drive) and another drive, which is a data drive as first option. I now disabled the data drive (no grub installed there), so that only the USB drive is left. Now it booted into the latest kernel.

Do not fully understand what happened, but at least it is booting now correctly. Maybe spend some time to investigate at the weekend.

Thank you for the help.

• macom

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!