Random Boot

• Offizieller Beitrag

i am about 90% sure it is the motherboard causing the problems (Tried a new PSU, RAM, reseating the CPU). Plugged in a SSD with Ubuntu on it, i keep getting notification asking if i want to restart every few minutes even though there are no updates pending and i haven't pressed the power button.

I agree with you, everything seems to point to the motherboard.

Have you tried unplugging the front power button? These can sometimes leak across the contacts. Or maybe the switch isn't fully releasing and a temporary fleeting contact is being made. It's worth a try.

It would be unfortunate if all this is reduced to a simple button :) But you could be right.

• It would be unfortunate if all this is reduced to a simple button :) But you could be right.

I ran the on board ram test and installed memtest and ran that also swapped out ram but still always the same result.

I wonder if I disconnected the power button would I have the same problem (and shorted the pins) 🤔

Normally if its in red it's bad!!!

Machine 1 - Dell OptiPlex 790 - Core i5-2400 3.10GHz - 16GB RAM - OMV5

Machine 2 - Raspberry PI4 - ARMv7 - 2GB - OMV5

• Offizieller Beitrag

Have you tried unplugging the front power button? These can sometimes leak across the contacts. Or maybe the switch isn't fully releasing and a temporary fleeting contact is being made. It's worth a try.

I built my first computer about 20yrs ago, and have built more than I care to think since then, fixed multiple store boughts, etc.... and I've never once saw this happen.

This would seem to be like one of those .00001% things.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Having read through the thread and doing a search related to the machine and the symptom, there seems to be a number of related issues but no two are the same, these range GPU underpowering in the PCIe slot, faulty power button (yep that one), replacing the CMOS battery and doing a cmos reset via pins on the m'board.

These are one of Dell's business models and are normally bullet proof, but being a PC anything is possible, TBH I like the idea of the CMOS battery as it reminded me of an old HP server I had, this would randomly shut down for what appeared to be no apparent reason. After the going around in circles trying the obvious finally replaced the battery and reset the CMOS.

• I built my first computer about 20yrs ago, and have built more than I care to think since then, fixed multiple store boughts, etc.... and I've never once saw this happen.

Even with the .00001% its something I can't test the front panel IO and power button are connected under where the heat sink is. I would literally have to boot it with out the cpu heat sink which probably not the best of idea

• Having read through the thread and doing a search related to the machine and the symptom, there seems to be a number of related issues but no two are the same, these range GPU underpowering in the PCIe slot, faulty power button (yep that one), replacing the CMOS battery and doing a cmos reset via pins on the m'board.

These are one of Dell's business models and are normally bullet proof, but being a PC anything is possible, TBH I like the idea of the CMOS battery as it reminded me of an old HP server I had, this would randomly shut down for what appeared to be no apparent reason. After the going around in circles trying the obvious finally replaced the battery and reset the CMOS.

Thanks I can't test the power button as the header is under the CPU heats ink so I will try the cmos, found a guide online so hopefully it work. https://www.dell.com/community…ios-and-cmos/td-p/4409389

• Having read through the thread and doing a search related to the machine and the symptom, there seems to be a number of related issues but no two are the same, these range GPU underpowering in the PCIe slot, faulty power button (yep that one), replacing the CMOS battery and doing a cmos reset via pins on the m'board.

Yeah, i think things may be worse now the system doesn't stay on long enough for it to finish the boot process :/

• I built my first computer about 20yrs ago, and have built more than I care to think since then, fixed multiple store boughts, etc.... and I've never once saw this happen.

Still a possibility, and the test is so simple to implement, it's a must-try. Just like the case of a randomly not starting PC that had intermittent contact between the pins and jumper cap of the BIOS Clear/Normal jumper. Gold contacts do not guarantee problem free contact.

Zitat

Thanks I can't test the power button as the header is under the CPU heats ink

I would literally have to boot it with out the cpu heat sink which probably not the best of idea

Remove the heatsink, fit jumper wires, refit heatsink, touch wires together.

Zitat

Yeah, i think things may be worse now the system doesn't stay on long enough for it to finish the boot process

Is the BIOS power setting on 4 seconds wait before shutdown?

From the Dell link:

Zitat

To reset the BIOS/CMOS, remove the coin-cell battery located on the motherboard, wait 5 minutes, then reinstall the battery

5 Minutes sounds rather long, and the above doesn't inform you to shut down the power supply completely first, which I would do.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Clearing the CMOS may be prudent.

How I've always done it...

1. Unplug power cable and turn off power supply

2. Remove coin battery

3. Hit power switch a few times.

4. After about 20-30sec, reinstall coin battery

5. Plug back in and boot.

• Other guys mentioned most of these, but to reiterate:

- faulty or underwatted PSU

- faulty RAM

- faulty CPU cooler, CPU overheating

- faulty chipset cooling (active or passive), chipset overheating

- dead CMOS battery

- faulty power and/or reset buttons

Do you have enough time to check thermals/fans?

Off-topic:

To paraphrase KM0201, I bought my first computer 38 years ago, so things might have changed in the meantime. ^^

Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

• Thank you, I think it must have been a faulty power button. I got around to unplugging the connector didn't have a spare jumper wire so had to use a screwdriver (have set the BIOs to auto on power) and the system has been on for 30+ hours I'm going to put back in the other stick of ram and see what happens. If all go's well I will order a new switch.

• Wow, I would have put that one at the bottom of the list

It wasn't even on the list of thing I thought of to check, I put the other stick of RAM back in and it seems stable but I will give it 3 or 4 days before I mark this as resolved.

• Thank you again, its been 4ish days and no random power off's or reboot even with all 4 sticks of RAM. I have ordered a new power switch cable.

• STUKguy

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Thank you again, its been 4ish days and no random power off's or reboot even with all 4 sticks of RAM. I have ordered a new power switch cable.

I'm curious if you really need a new cable.. its' probably just the end connectors (is my guess).. just go down to the hardware store and get some 12v wiring, and i'm sure they have some sort of connector you could fit onto the motherboard (not sure exactly on those pin sizes).. use a screw driver to connect the new wires to the old switch. Easy peasy.

Probably a foot of wire, 2 connectors and a pair of pliers. I can't imagine total being more than 5 bucks (assuming you have a pair of pliers)

Edit: Even better.. just cut one of these off, and figure out a wayy to connect it to your switch (I'd have to see a pic of the switch side to give a suggestion on this).. This would essentially replcae everything but the switch on the outside of the computer (assuming it's still good)

https://www.amazon.com/wangyim…acemen%2Caps%2C106&sr=8-4

• Yeah I was thinking about doing that but it turns out new wire and a new switch both cost £4. So I just went with the easier option., but thank you for mentioning it.

• Thank you again, its been 4ish days and no random power off's or reboot even with all 4 sticks of RAM. I have ordered a new power switch cable.

Don't mention it, glad it worked.

Zitat

its' probably just the end connectors

Unless the connectors had been subject to local moisture or other contamination and tracked across, I would say that's an impossibility. The provided photo shows no evidence of corrosion, and STUKguy gave no comment on such.

Aside from above, unless the wiring had been physically damaged in a way that allowed contact between cores, I see no way this problem could occur other than allready stated.

I've looked at a 7010, which is very similar to 790. The power switch incorporates an LED, so +V and another ground within the same switch housing. It only needs contamination, or original switch lubricant that has started to conduct.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!