Random Boot

• Hi,

I have a strange one here my Dell Optiplex 790 randomly turns it self on with out anyone pressing the power button now before I call the Holy man and have my house blessed I thought I would see if anyone here has any ideas

After the first time

I've gone into the BIOs but WOL & previous power on state were turned off.

But then a an hour later the machine turned it self back on, I thought I must have set something in OMV so disconnected the OS drive and thought I would get to it some other time but again couple of hours later the machine powered on I ended up just disconnecting the power cable, thankfully after a couple of hours the machine hasn't turned itself back on

Normally if its in red it's bad!!!

Machine 1 - Dell OptiPlex 790 - Core i5-2400 3.10GHz - 16GB RAM - OMV5

Machine 2 - Raspberry PI4 - ARMv7 - 2GB - OMV5

• thankfully!! ^^

Maybe ask in the Vatican forum? If it turns on without the OS, I don't think the OS is guilty of anything right?

Haha, it turned it just went to a screen that said "no OS detected, press F1 to try again" I had a quick chance this morning so plugged in power cable and the OS drive and again it just turned it self on (after I shut it down) but I ran out of time so when I get home I will disconnect all 3 drives and see what happens.

• I would check the BIOS settings

Found nothing in the BIOS, plugged back in the OMV drive and went through that again and still found nothing. I hate to do it but i'm going to try a BIOS flash and see if that works.

• I would check the BIOS settings

Aye this was annoying. So couldn't find the BIOs to flash so went into the BIOs and "loaded defaults" whilst it was doing that the machine just turned itself off. Did that twice then I thought there was something I haven't tried an that was checking the RAM sticks removed stick 4 and it's been nearly 4 hours and the machine hasn't turned it self on. Fingers crossed that problem is fixed but now I can't boot into OMV...

• "loaded defaults" whilst it was doing that the machine just turned itself off

It's strange...

I did a google search related to this and found this link. Maybe it's relevant to you.

https://h30467.www3.hp.com/t5/…las-memorias/td-p/1191262

https://www.yoreparo.com/es/co…al-cambiar-de-lado-la-ram

If you have a backup power supply I would try swapping it out. Maybe he's playing tricks on you.

• It's strange...

I did a google search related to this and found this link. Maybe it's relevant to you.

https://h30467.www3.hp.com/t5/…las-memorias/td-p/1191262

https://www.yoreparo.com/es/co…al-cambiar-de-lado-la-ram

If you have a backup power supply I would try swapping it out. Maybe he's playing tricks on you.

Hey, thank for the link tried using another PSU but the same thing happened. Went back to checking the RAM and it appears my 4th slot is faulty (thought it was the stick but swapped it and the same thing happened) everything works fine as long as I only 3 slots (been on for 2 days with no issues) if I use the forth slot that's when I start having issues. :(. Probably should start at looking to replace the computer it self.

Thank you again

• It probably will be

Thanks for the update

Spoke to soon, i think it might be a faulty Motherboard. Now i have the opposite problem the machine randomly turns it self off. The OMV logs don't show anything other than it normally shutting down as if the power button had been pressed. What I've done is disabled power off when button pressed in OMV.

• This still sounds like a hardware problem. Motherboard or power supply.

I figure it is either a faulty PSU, Mobo or SSD. I've set a side few hours this weekend to figure out which one it is start with testing the PSU from my main PC in the OMV server. I need to get this sorted.

• chente Well the PSU test didn't last long before it just rebooted itself. Lasted about 1 hour. Going try a different ssd now but just only install debian on it not OMV.

My build it a quad core 12GB Ram running a VM of 2 cores and 4GB Ram, wouldn't be the cause of my problems would it?

• I've had wonky ram cause some strange problems (usually freezing up more often than not, but I'd maybe run a memtest as well)

Thanks I will do memtest this morning, turns out it's not a PSU issue.

My build it a quad core 12GB Ram running a VM of 2 cores and 4GB Ram, wouldn't be the cause of my problems would it?

Edited once, last by STUKguy ().

• One more thing: Do you have a USP Battery set up? I had a lot of random reboots recently and it turned out that the USP battery was the culprit. Once I got rid of it everything worked as expected again.

No I don't use USP

• I've had wonky ram cause some strange problems (usually freezing up more often than not, but I'd maybe run a memtest as well)

Nope ran both the built in bios system test and also ran memtest in Debian both came back no problems. I know one of my ram slots is faulty which is what i found out before so this slot is not populated.

• This still sounds like a hardware problem. Motherboard or power supply.

Sorry to bother you again, but after a couple weeks of experimenting i am about 90% sure it is the motherboard causing the problems (Tried a new PSU, RAM, reseating the CPU). Plugged in a SSD with Ubuntu on it, i keep getting notification asking if i want to restart every few minutes even though there are no updates pending and i haven't pressed the power button.

Cant do much ATM but my Mrs is looking to buy me a Surface Pro 7 for my birthday, so I'm going to repurpose my main PC as the new server and dispose of my old server

i keep getting notification asking if i want to restart every few minutes even though there are no updates pending and i haven't pressed the power button.

Have you tried unplugging the front power button? These can sometimes leak across the contacts. Or maybe the switch isn't fully releasing and a temporary fleeting contact is being made. It's worth a try.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!