How to Upgrade with Raid1 and Portainer (Containers)?

• Hello Forum,

I still have OMV5 installed. I would like to change to OMV6.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to proceed first and what I have to consider. I would separate the data hard disks from the hardware and then on the hard disk on which the OMV system is installed, then upload the data.

I use RAID1. In addition, I have installed various containers (e.g. Emby Mediaserver or Cloudcommander) via Portainer, which I would also like to use under OMV6.

Are there any instructions for this? Or can someone help me here?

Thank you very much for your support.

• If I do the upgrade process with the scripts about SSH, what is about the Debian version. Now I have installed version 10 (OMV5). How to install Debian 11, which is necessary for OMV6?

• Thank you for the information.

I would like to make an OS backup.

I would use my USB stick for this. But it only has about 60 GB of free space.

Via SSH I have seen via lsblk that the total OS data is about 111 GB. There are several partitions. Which one is the most important and must be backed up? Is it really advisable to back up the whole 111 GB?

Code
    Quote:
    sdb       8:16   0 111,8G  0 disk  
    ├─sdb1    8:17   0   512M  0 part  /boot/efi
    ├─sdb2    8:18   0    28G  0 part  /
    ├─sdb3    8:19   0   977M  0 part  [SWAP]
    └─sdb4    8:20   0  82,4G  0 part  /home

Can I also attach an existing external hard drive? What do I have to consider then?

• You have 82 GB in your /home directory. You need to check what is inside. It is related to user data, not the OS.

Do you have a desktop environment installed like KDE, Gnome, XFCE?

Can I also attach an existing external hard drive? What do I have to consider then?

Yes. I would boot into Clonezilla and save an image of the the complete disk to the external hard drive sdb. Clonezilla supports compression, so the actual image size will be smaller.

https://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live-doc.php

• You can use clonezilla to backup only the partitions you are interested in.

But you should find out what these 82 GB are. And if you don't need them, just delete them.

Thank you for the help to all. The upgrade was successfull.

How can I find out what these 82 GB are?

• Go into your home directory and look around - from a command prompt run the command in the home directory

du -h | more which will provide a tree view and show which subdirectory is using all the space

Craig

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!