mergerfs usage method

• Any guide for setting it up?

Not really as I don't use the plugin myself. I configured it by hand in fstab years ago and saw no need to change anything.

But in the plugin you have a choice between specifying file systems (entire drives) or shared folders, or Paths (which is probably what you want).

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• fstab years ago

I hear ya.

But just done a omv5 to omv6 upgrade and had a motherbard or cpu failure during the upgrade.

Long story short, got the os running again with new mb and cpu, and a big help from ryecoaaron.

Then tried to reconfigure the new mergerfs plugin to suit my original docker containers and vm's configurations with some symlinks to look like the old folder paths.

Then had a disk fail that was in the mergerfs pool, and then that killed the upgraded os, merger disk/folder system seems fragile to disk failures.

So now I've done a fresh install of omv6 and re-configuring everything, oh what fun.

The strange bit I don't get is the new path to the mergerfs file system, it use to be /srv/mfsp/shared_folders now it's /srv/mergerfs/mfsp/mfsp/shared_folders (mfsp being my mergerfs pool name and the common folder name on each disk to merge).

Anyway, back to home labbing... I have ranted enough for a Saturday night.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The strange bit I don't get is the new path to the mergerfs file system, it use to be /srv/mfsp/shared_folders now it's /srv/mergerfs/mfsp/mfsp/shared_folders (mfsp being my mergerfs pool name and the common folder name on each disk to merge).

I changed the mountpoint when moving to systemd mount files on OMV 6.x.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I changed the mountpoint

No problems with the /srv/mergerfs bit.

It's more the duplication of the mfsp part, ie /srv/mergerfs/mfsp/mfsp/shared_folders.

When creating a share (OMV, Storage, Shared Folders, Create) of an existing folder within my existing merged disks/folders, I have to add mfsp to the relative path ie mfsp/shared_folder/

It's not a biggy, I just hadn't relalised there had been a change from the mergerfolder plugin to the mergerfs plugin.

But I'm all over it now :)

Attached some pics from Webmin File Manager of what my backup folder share looks like.

• Offizieller Beitrag

When creating a share (OMV, Storage, Shared Folders, Create) of an existing folder within my existing merged disks/folders, I have to add mfsp to the relative path ie mfsp/shared_folder/

I'm not sure why you have to do that. Because of existing data?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• not sure why you have to do that

I would guess it's the difference between merging disks and merging folders.

As I am merging folders it is adding in the merged folder name also.

ie /srv/mergerfs/mergerfs_pool_name/my_merged_folder_name/share

I'd guess if I was doing merged disks, I guess it would be /srv/mergerfs/mergerfs_pool_name/share

In the previous pic named OMV-Storage-Shared_Folders.png, is my configuration correct for merging folders?

All my merged shares are working, but was just checking if this is the best way of configuring mergerfs?

• Offizieller Beitrag

is my configuration correct for merging folders?

I don't see a pic with your pool config in it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Your paths are relative without a leading slash. I'm not sure what that would do. If there is a mfsp folder on each drive, I would either put mfsp at the end of each path in your pool (easier) or move the subfolders in that folder up a level.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The symlinks are pointing to /srv/dev-disk..../? If so, then just change your pool to /srv/d*/mfsp

• change your pool to /srv/d*/mfsp

no way, that's 2 cool

The reason I have the mergerfs pool is to swap disks frequently (testing and playing around shit).

I keep getting larger disks from our data centre, next week I'll have 18 x 8TB disks (I have no idea why, apart from cause I can).

Now all I need to do is restart the pool, way too easy.

Thanks ryecoaaron

• Still having permission problems with nfs shares.

I've tried the Reset Permissions, with option Admin-read/write, users-read/write, others-no access, clear ACLs, no change.

Have I got these permissions right?

/srv (0755)/mergerfs (0777)/mfsp (2770)/nfssharedfolder (2770)

OMV, Services, NFS, Shares are configured to allow clients 192.168.1.0/24 and Read/Write privilege, as per attached nfs share.png

OMV, Storage, Shared Folders, Privileges are as per attached OMV-Storage-Shared_Folders-Privileges.png

From a linux laptop cli using (firewall is off)

sudo mount -t nfs omv-server-ip:/nfssharedfolder /home/username/mountpoint

I get the following error message

mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting omv-server-ip:/nfssharedfolder

What am I over looking here?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Have I got these permissions right?

I use nfs and mergerfs myself and don't have a problem. If you change the two directories temporarily from 2770 to 2775, does it work? I'm guessing you have user id or group id mismatch.

• change the two directories temporarily from 2770 to 2775, does it work?

Changed

/srv (0755)/mergerfs (0777)/mfsp (2770)/nfssharedfolder (2770)

to

/srv (0755)/mergerfs (0777)/mfsp (2775)/nfssharedfolder (2775) also tried /nfssharedfolder (2777)

still getting

mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting omv-server-ip:/nfssharedfolder

omv user id u1 = uid=1000(u1) gid=100(users) groups=100(users),1000(RW)

laptop user id u1 = uid=1000(u1) gid=1000(u1) groups=1000(u1),4(adm),20(dialout),21(fax),24(cdrom),25(floppy),26(tape),27(sudo),29(audio),30(dip),44(video),46(plugdev),100(users),109(netdev),114(lpadmin),121(bluetooth),123(scanner),133(sambashare)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Pretty sure this is your problem unless it is a cut&paste issue. OMV exports nfs shares at /export/nfssharedfolder not /nfssharedfolder

What is the output of (from the client): sudo showmount -e omv-server-ip

• $ sudo showmount -e omv-server-ip

[sudo] password for u1:

Export list for omv-server-ip:

/export 192.168.1.0/24

/export/nfssharedfolder 192.168.1.0/24

$ sudo mount -t nfs omv-server-ip:/export/nfssharefolder /home/u1/NFS/nfssharefolder

mount.nfs: mounting omv-server-ip:/export/nfssharefolder failed, reason given by server: No such file or directory

Ignore this reply, I done a typo in the path. nfssharefolder -> nfssharedfolder (I left the d out of shared)

sudo mount -t nfs omv-server-ip:/export/nfssharedfolder /home/u1/NFS/nfssharefolder

works good

Thanks ryecoaaron

Is having the /export in the path a new thing to omv6 ?

I didn't use /export in the path with omv5.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von RonO () aus folgendem Grund: correction

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!