NFS exports on mergerfs not mounting

• I have a few shared folders and use NFS and they mount without problem.

I'd like to export a NFS from a pooled share on mergerfs, but even though they show up in my exports I either see 'folder doesn't exist' or 'stale file handler' on the client when trying to mount them.

Having done a search for this problem which has cropped up before I see its something to do with UUID and changing to FSID somewhere, and so can be fixed by changing how my disks are mounted, but I can't find a run through of the steps needed.

Is there anyone who knows which changes I have to make and steps to take? It's only the mergerfs NFS exports that are a problem, my other exports are fine.

Version 6.0.34-1 (Shaitan)

• i am also having trouble NFS sharing a mergerfs volume.

Can you be more specific and provide exactly what you are doing when creating the new share in NFS?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Your mergerfs pool must be taking too long to mount and the bind mount used for nfs mounts before the pool. I don't have a good way to make sure the mergerfs pool is mounted before the bind mounts. My systems don't have this problem. You should be able to remount the bind mount with: sudo mount -o bind,remount,rw /export/mergerfsnfstest1

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• In my setup, when creating a mergerfs pool, a new shared folder is also automatically created and it has the same name I chose for the mergerfs pool. Also, a new entry related to this appears in the Storage | File Systems page.

However, when creating a new NFS share if I select the above named new shared folder from the drop down list it will not work and a 500 - Internal Server Error is thrown when the Save button is pressed.

I was able to solve it by creating a completely new shared folder with a name different than the above automatically created one and point it to the mergerfs pool folder. Then I select this new shared folder from the drop down list when creating the new NFS share.

No idea if what I ran into with this is expected or not. As a point of information, I have an identically named directory on ten hard disks declared with a wildcard in my mergerfs pool, and so far after quite a few test reboots everything related to the pool seems to be working without any race conditions noted.

On another (unrelated) note about the mergerfs plugin. I have found that when deleting a mergerfs pool a broken symlink is left behind in /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/. This doesn't seem to cause any problems, it's just a bit of clutter.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

a new shared folder is also automatically created and it has the same name I chose for the mergerfs pool

The mount point is created but an OMV shared folder is not created by the plugin.

Also, a new entry related to this appears in the Storage | File Systems page.

This is expected.

However, when creating a new NFS share if I select the above named new shared folder from the drop down list it will not work and a 500 - Internal Server Error is thrown when the Save button is pressed.

This is strange. ctrl-shift-R doesn't fix?

On another (unrelated) note about the mergerfs plugin. I have found that when deleting a mergerfs pool a broken symlink is left behind in /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/. This doesn't seem to cause any problems, it's just a bit of clutter.

I will have to add code to clean that up. I guess I was thinking systemd would do that when the mount unit was removed.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

mergerfs plugin 6.3.1 (in the repo now) will clean up those dead symlinks.

• I must have been mistaken about that automatically created shared folder. I don't know how it got there and I can not replicate this when creating another pool. Since the spurious share was not referenced anywhere I was able to delete it.

ctrl-shift-R didn't solve the problem when I tried selecting and using that spurious share.

Thanks for the updated plugin.

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

ctrl-shift-R didn't solve the problem when I tried selecting and using that spurious share.

I'm wondering if it was an orphaned sharedfolder that was connected to a pool you deleted? I probably shouldn't allow the plugin to delete pools that are referenced by shared folders.

• I'm wondering if it was an orphaned sharedfolder that was connected to a pool you deleted? I probably shouldn't allow the plugin to delete pools that are referenced by shared folders.

Could be. I was trying many things before I arrived at the final setup for this and may have lost track of things along the way.

Thanks again.

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

6.3.2 in the repo. This will show if the pool is shared and will block deletion if it is shared.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!