Upgrade from Debian 10 w/ OMV 5 to Debian 11 w/ OMV 6

• Now that seems I've successfully upgraded to Debian 10 / OMV 5, I want to complete the upgrade and go to Debian 11 / OMV 6.

Note: my setup is a Debian server with OMV on top.

From my understanding the procedure is to upgrade first to Bullseye and then follow these steps:

So my questions are:

• Is OMV 5 going to work fine on Bullseye or is there something to take care?
    • Is the procedure above for OMV 6 over Bullseye the latest?
    • Something to know before I start from who has done it before?

Thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

This will upgrade both, Debian from 10 to 11 and OMV from 5 to 6

s OMV 5 going to work fine on Bullseye or is there something to take care?

No, OMV6 is for Bullseye

• This will upgrade both, Debian from 10 to 11 and OMV from 5 to 6

Awesome thanks!

I have another question; is there a newer Proxmox experimental kernel for Bullseye?

I'm currently running Proxmox 5.11 and I see in that thread that after the upgrade versions 5.15 is offered.

Not sure which one to pick... right now I don't have ZFS volumes but I was planning to.

Is there any other obvious advantage with the Proxmox kernel?

I'm asking because the CPU is an AMD 5600G.

Long term I'd like to go to 5.17/5.18 to use the amd-pstate module.

Not sure how fast are the Proxmox releases, if they'll soon be there or in years.

I see the unstable branch is at 5.16 so the vanilla kernel branch is getting close already.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can search the forum for proxmox kernel. Especially posts from ryecoaaron.

But I would not overthink this. You can always switch from proxmox to standard kernel and back. Regarding version I would take what I get from the repo unless there are issues related to the kernel (unlikely).

• But I would not overthink this.

You are right I'm already overthinking it :P

And last time I've read about Proxmox here was too many years ago, ouch.

I see now zfs module is available also without Proxmox and in ryecoaaron signature that he's using 5.15 Proxmox.

Lots of fun ahead!

• macom

I have an unexpected issue...

When I run omv-release-upgrade it's stopping with:

Upgrading system to 6.0 (Shaitan) ...

This system is running a desktop environment! This setup is not supported.

How can I skip this check?

To be precise: I know how I can skip it but I wonder if there's a "safe" way or will cause troubles afterwards

• Offizieller Beitrag

There have been many issues with desktop environments installed parallel to OMV. Both are controlling system files and that can cause issues. Therefore the use of desktop environments is being prevented.

• There have been many issues with desktop environments installed parallel to OMV. Both are controlling system files and that can cause issues. Therefore the use of desktop environments is being prevented.

Guess I can sacrifice the desktop environment.

Didn't have the resources for a virtual environment before but now with the upgrade should be feasible.

May I ask what is the best method to be sure I remove everything that can trouble OMV?

• Offizieller Beitrag
  • Thanks, I'm blind...

And of course at the end I forgot to check the plugins ;(

Too hot, not enough sleep....

Before I make more disasters here's how it ended up like this:

Code
    Removing openmediavault-backup (5.2.4) ...
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/openmediavault-backup.postrm: 6: .: Can't open /usr/share/openmediavault/scripts/helper-functions
    dpkg: error processing package openmediavault-backup (--remove): installed openmediavault-backup package post-removal script subprocess returned error exit status 127
    Removing borgbackup (1.1.9-2+deb10u1) ...
    Removing python3-msgpack (0.5.6-1+b1) ...
    Removing python3-llfuse (1.3.6+dfsg-1) ...
    Errors were encountered while processing: openmediavault-backup
    W: --force-yes is deprecated, use one of the options starting with --allow instead.
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I guess that's not how it was supposed to end.

Is there something I can do to fix it or should I restore from the backup and start again?

• There were some other warnings and errors before:

netplan maybe?

• Offizieller Beitrag

could you have a look at the last post?

Usually that happens when OMV is removed before the plugin. sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/info/openmediavault-backup.postrm will fix the error. But it looks like the system had a desktop environment installed which probably broke the upgrade.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Usually that happens when OMV is removed before the plugin. sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/info/openmediavault-backup.postrm will fix the error. But it looks like the system had a desktop environment installed which probably broke the upgrade.

I removed the desktop manager packages that the scripts checks for, should I remove something else as well?

Is there a way to restart the upgrade from there?

The script is gone now together with the OMV 5 install.

• Offizieller Beitrag

should I remove something else as well?

Should you remove something else? yes. Do you have to? no but it still recommended to not run a desktop environment. Having the desktop environment installed just adds hundreds if not thousands more packages that have to be upgrade that could cause problems. The display manager checks are just the easiest way to tell if a desktop is installed. Removing them gets by the check but doesn't fix the problem on why we tell people not to have a desktop environment installed.

Is there a way to restart the upgrade from there?

It looks like OMV was uninstalled. What is the output of: dpkg -l | grep openme

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• It looks like OMV was uninstalled. What is the output of: dpkg -l | grep openme

Should you remove something else? yes. Do you have to? no but it still recommended to not run a desktop environment. Having the desktop environment installed just adds hundreds if not thousands more packages that have to be upgrade that could cause problems. The display manager checks are just the easiest way to tell if a desktop is installed. Removing them gets by the check but doesn't fix the problem on why we tell people not to have a desktop environment installed.

Sorry, the desktop environment came earlier than OMV on this machine :P

Personally didn't have any issue with 4.x and 5.x but I guess with 6.x can be different.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The openmediavault package is removed. You might be able to reinstall it but you have quite the mess. sudo apt-get install openmediavault Running the fix script won't hurt either.

Personally didn't have any issue with 4.x and 5.x but I guess with 6.x can be different.

Nope. It has always been a recommendation to not run a desktop environment with OMV. 6.x just has more guard rails to prevent it.

Sorry, the desktop environment came earlier than OMV on this machine

Desktop environments can be uninstalled...

• Offizieller Beitrag

This is what I could save from the screen scrollback buffer, it wasn't that big.

Conflicts with your desktop environment packages being upgraded caused the removal of netplan and some python libs that openmediavault depends on.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!