raid 1 improves read speed?

• Hi,

I've read that if you have raid 1, the read speed should be faster than if you only use rsync to simulate raid 1 functionality.

Is this true? Is there any advantage to using raid 1, instead of manually setting up realtime backup from one drive to another?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've read that if you have raid 1, the read speed should be faster than if you only use rsync to simulate raid 1 functionality.

Is this true? Is there any advantage to using raid 1, instead of manually setting up realtime backup from one drive to another?

It can be faster. I would say in a two drive, mdadm raid 1 array on a lower speed cpu, the difference probably wouldn't be noticeable. mdadm requires cpu. The advantage is that if a drive fails, there should be minimal work (if any) to get to your files. The disadvantage is that if you delete a file accidently or get ransomware, it happens instantly to both drives. rsync is forgiving (rsnapshot would keep you safe). You would never want to setup a backup that was realtime.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thank you for your reply.

I have a very fast cpu. Is there any downside to OMV having setup for only software raid? I mean in the sense of not being as fast as a hardware RAID?

I'm planning on having two drives in raid 1.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there any downside to OMV having setup for only software raid? I mean in the sense of not being as fast as a hardware RAID?

I'm planning on having two drives in raid 1.

OMV doesn't care how fast your drives or array are. Why do you want raid 1? Most single drives can saturate gigabit networking. So, faster speeds usually aren't helpful.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• I have huge files that I need to copy over from my NAS to my PC (when working on projects), so I'm planning on building 10 gigabit LAN network and I need to squeeze as much read bandwidth as I can.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You are going to be disappointed then. raid 1 is not going to double your throughput. Maybe 10-20MB/s at the most I would guess.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!