Raspberry Pi Password changing after omv install

• Hi all, I'm brand new to NAS's and this type of stuff so I warn you if I did some stupid thing but I'm completely lost rn. I learned about NAS's on YouTube and don't want to have to pay for cloud services to store all of my files. Right now I've been using the free storage of like, five different accounts and it's getting really hard to keep up with all of it. I have a couple of Raspberry Pi's lying around from past projects and I figured I'd give building my own NAS a shot and I followed the official Raspberry Pi website's guide to building one (this one https://www.raspberrypi.com/tu…ox-raspberry-pi-tutorial/ ). Everything was fine until I actually tried to connect to it on my laptop. Basically, either the username of the pi or the password had changed somewhere along the way and I was unable to log on and even ssh into the pi. I looked up the problem and I found some random forum about raspbian sometimes changing the password if the sd card is corrupt and they said they solved it by wiping the card and starting over so that's what I did and started over. Again everything was fine up until I tried to connect. Same thing happened, couldn't ssh, couldn't connect to the NAS, and I tried hooking up to a monitor this time and the entire thing took ages to load up and the password said it was wrong. I tried wiping the card one last time except while I was going back to omv to unmount and delete the shared folder like I did the first time I wiped it I couldn't even connect to the web client, so like an idiot wiped it anyways hoping it would fix it. I then tried again but now I can't even ssh into the pi because I'm getting a WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED! error and thinking it probably has something to do with me messing up and not unmounting everything. I have no idea what the heck I'm doing wrong and am honestly so lost. Sorry for the wrong post, I just want to include all of the stuff I've been trying to do.

• chente

Approved the thread.
  • So would you recommend starting over from scratch again? Again sorry I’m extremely new to this. I looked through a bunch of the forums and I saw a lot of people had similar issues to mine but they all seemed to be able to at least access their omv-gui and ssh into their so I was extremely confused

• Did you enable ssh and create a user when using the imager like described here?

• yeah I know the ip of the pi and I enabled ssh in the setting of pi imager every time I flashed it. I'm getting this error (I just included the first part of it) which is preventing me from sshing into the pi

• And just in case: the initial credentials for the WebGUI are

user: admin

password: openmediavault

Yeah again, I could access the webgui fine the first time, when I went back the second time to unmount and stuff the problem was the actually getting to the webgui. My pi's IP address wasn't correct so I tried to find it again and make sure it was the same and it came out with two pi addresses so I then tried both to get to it but neither worked. I tried both to ssh and that didn't work either, I also tried both ip's to connect to it and again, it didn't work.

• I looked up how to fix it and it seems I need add the correct host key to my laptop but the problem is in order to get the correct host key I need to hook the pi up to a monitor and log in but I can't log in with the password that I set which just keeps bringing me around in a circle. Sorry didn't want to include the whole message because the later half of it has more sensitive stuff that I'd have to block out anyways. I've been looking around the forum more and I couldn't find anyone who has gotten this error message or they just haven't mentioned it and all of the stuff I've found online require me to actually know the changed host key

• If I used a completely different SD card and put it in the pi would that potentially solve this issue? I don't know if the host key the error message is talking about is tied to the os or to the actual pi if that makes sense

• On your WIndows (?) laptop you have a .ssh folder (note the dot, the folder is hidden) in your user directory. In this folder you have the file known_hosts. Open the file and remove the relative line. Or all.

I have a Macbook and found another thing online that doesn't require me knowing the host key and says pretty much the same thing you said. I'm gonna try that and then see if I can ssh into the pi! Thanks for your help, I'll follow some of the stuff written in other posts to fix my password problem if I can ssh into the pi and hopefully things go smoothly

• If I used a completely different SD card and put it in the pi would that potentially solve this issue? I don't know if the host key the error message is talking about is tied to the os or to the actual pi if that makes sense

Any configured key is tied to the software, the operating system, that resides on the card. There is no key bound to the pi.

If you can't solve the problem by following the tips you've been given, you can always start over from scratch with a new card.

• Any configured key is tied to the software, the operating system, that resides on the card. There is no key bound to the pi.

If you can't solve the problem by following the tips you've been given, you can always start over from scratch with a new card.

Okay that's good, thanks

• I have same problems, I install the OVM6 with following URL

https://wiki.omv-extras.org/do…omv6:raspberry_pi_install

I CAN'T ssh to the PI any more ... but the strange issue is the console on the pi still working with the user ID and password. And also the web-UI is working fine. Only SSH keep ask for the password of the user ID.

I checked the build process, versus the -> wiki document. There was no issue with SSH.

There's a note in the document, under prerequisites, titled Important Release Note. It provides a link to a specific image -> 2022-01-28-raspios-bullseye-arm64-lite
    If a later image is used, there will be SSH issues. If you use another image, dated after 2022-01-28, you're on your own.

Please follow the build guide.

In the extremely remote chance that the R-PI foundation retroactively altered the 2022-01-28 (software is not versioned this way), I'll download another copy of the 2022-01-28 image tomorrow to verify that the image hasn't been changed. (I sincerely doubt it has been changed.)

• I'm on vacations so, can't help much ATM.

Only thing I can enforce with the latest version I used on my last build is to prepare properly all fields on the Pi Imager settings:

hostname, user, password (make sure to view it and take note on paper), activate SSH and set the locale to your's so that the keyboard will match. Otherwise, keystrokes might be different than what you punch.

Also, before running the OMV script, its good to run raspi-config and recheck the few settings that you need.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!