OVM6 NAS drive CAN'T find with Linux

• Hi ALL, Here is my case.

NAS platform: Raspberry 4 with Raspberry OS 64 bit

OpenMediaValut: OVM6

with the installation instruction:

https://wiki.omv-extras.org/do…omv6:raspberry_pi_install

Problem and issue:

1. After install OVM6, I can't ssh to pi with any use ID and password, but the console at pi are working fine, and also the web-ui user ID and password are working.

2. the NAS drive(SMB/CISF) are working fine with Windows 10 and Mac OS. But Linux (Debian) Ubuntu and Raspberry Pi OS 64 can't mount the drive with error. I don't have problem with OVM5.

And also :

in Raspberry PI, I can do " smb://OVM6.raspberry.ip ... file manager. it is working. But UI file manager:GO:Network:smb://OVM6-pi.local:445/ ... still have error

in Ubuntu ... I also try " smb://OVM6.raspberry.ip ... file manager. ... but the result is error

Any idea ... how to fix those issue !?

• Agricola

Approved the thread.
  • KM0201

Approved the thread.
  • I don't typically use SMB and Linux, but just for grins I just tried it. Are you sure you need the port?

I just went to smb://hostname.local and my SMB share was there.

right now I can use following CLI can work with Ubuntu and Raspberry PI OS.

smb://hostmane.local/path of the drive to share

But I can't do:

smb://hostname.local

• Did you enable the ssh service? Did you add your user which you are using for ssh to the ssh group?

my user id is "pi" and the group is "pi". And also the ssh service is enabled. but I don't assign user id storage.

• "pi" group is NOT "ssh" group

this is really strange. "pi" the only group on the "Groups" ... but no member. And also under "Users", "pi" under so many group "adm, audio, cdrom, pi, dialout, games, gpio, i2c, input, netdev, plugdev, render, spi, sudo, users, video"

• this is really strange. "pi" the only group on the "Groups" ... but no member. And also under "Users", "pi" under so many group "adm, audio, cdrom, pi, dialout, games, gpio, i2c, input, netdev, plugdev, render, spi, sudo, users, video"

Those are pretty standard groups when you do a debian install.

Personally, usually once I have the webUI up and running, I usually delete the user created during the Debian install, and create a new user in the webUI... but that's just me. Maybe Pi's are different.

Also as macom said, being in the "pi" group, is NOT the SSH group.. just as being in sudo, is not the root group.

• I am sorry to tell you guys that .... 2022-01-28-raspios-bullseye-arm64-lite.img from your site. After apt update & upgrade. then OVM6 installation .... the result same as 2022-04-04-raspios-bullseye-arm64-lite.img.xz. Only console and website UI are working. SSH remote still not working.

• SSH remote still not working.

Easily fixed from the omv web interface. Just add the user to the ssh group. This is not an OMV problem. Yes, the install script tries to add a user to the ssh group but evidently something is not working. But this is just a convenience feature of the install script. Because the functionality exists to add a user to the ssh group in the web interface, nothing is wrong here.

omv 6.0.41-1 Shaitan | 64 bit | 5.19 proxmox kernel | plugins :: omvextrasorg 6.1.1 | kvm 6.1.23 | mergerfs 6.3.3 | zfs 6.0.11
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• The install script has been "fixed". If you call the script as sudo (not as root), then it will add the user you call the script with to the ssh group.

omv 6.0.41-1 Shaitan | 64 bit | 5.19 proxmox kernel | plugins :: omvextrasorg 6.1.1 | kvm 6.1.23 | mergerfs 6.3.3 | zfs 6.0.11
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• The install script has been "fixed". If you call the script as sudo (not as root), then it will add the user you call the script with to the ssh group.

Many thanks for your help. Right now I have no problem with SSH with password and public certificate.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!