Drives mounted out of order

• I have a system with eight drives (/dev/sda thru /dev/sdh). The drives were easy to keep straight as they were ordered left to right alphabetically and numerically.

Drive 0 was /dev/sda

Drive 1 was /dev/sdb

Drive 2 was /dev/sdc

... and so on.

I ended up reloading the system and while I did that I replaced some of the smaller drives with larger drives. I plugged drives in, while the system was running (which wasn't a good idea). What I ended up with is drives which seem to be ordered by how I plugged the drives into the drive bays (I didn't go left to right or 0-7).

Now OMV Storage / Disks shows the disks in order (a-h), but if I try to add the drives to a mergerfs pool using the /dev/sd? lettering. What I found is the drive letters don't match the drives.

Is there an easy way to fix this? One other thing is that I'm running openmediavault-flashmemory 6.2 and most of the files (like /etc/fstab) are read-only (even logged in as root) and probably shouldn't be changed outside of openmediavault anyway.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

My system looks like this:

OpenMediaVault Version 6.0.34-1 (Shaitan)

Processor Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU C3758 @ 2.20GHz

Kernel Linux 5.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64

---

• You can not use /dev/sd? lettering. Use /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-? instead.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• votdev

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

I guess I'm wondering why you're concerned about what order the drives are in? I mean just Put a folder on them "Disk_1" and then use then use the File system comment to label the disk. Problem solved.

I'm not really sure where you're coming off that fstab can't be edited by root (it most certainly can).. but as you said.. it's best to let the webUI handle that.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I also use the plugin and my fstab is not readonly. Why should it be? Also not a problem to make changes here outside of omv.

Not 100% sure, but I believe if you make changes to fstab, the webUI will over write them the next time you apply changes or an update.

I don't mess wiht fstab in OMV, as there's never been a reason for me to.. but I seem to recall reading that.

• Not 100% sure, but I believe if you make changes to fstab, the webUI will over write them the next time you apply changes or an update.

Changes made to fstab outside of the >>> [openmediavault] - <<< [openmediavault] stanza are not altered by omv.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Not 100% sure, but I believe if you make changes to fstab, the webUI will over write them the next time you apply changes or an update.

I don't mess wiht fstab in OMV, as there's never been a reason for me to.. but I seem to recall reading that.

I added a line to mount my system disks btrfs root in order to manage subvolumes and snaps conveniently. Works like a charm. Never got overwritten.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I added a line to mount my system disks btrfs root in order to manage subvolumes and snaps conveniently. Works like a charm. Never got overwritten.

Correct as said above, it has to be written outside of the openmediavault stanza. I was not aware of that caveat.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ha, did not know this word exists in English. Had to search for it. Made it from German into English.

ALWAYS learning on the forums ;)

I actually took a year of German in Junior High. I didn't recall it being a German reference, but in HS, I took 3yrs of Latin (at that time was really interested in the law and medical fields so it seemed prudent).. It was more about the history of the language, how many other languages are derived from it, etc. but I got fairly proficient at speaking it as well.

While I've not really spoke it in years, you'd be amazed how often that I'm dealing with non-English speakers, and I'll remember a similar Latin word to what they are saying and when I Google it, it's usually very close. This has happened to me with German and Spanish.

• I guess I'm wondering why you're concerned about what order the drives are in? I mean just Put a folder on them "Disk_1" and then use then use the File system comment to label the disk. Problem solved.

I'm not really sure where you're coming off that fstab can't be edited by root (it most certainly can).. but as you said.. it's best to let the webUI handle that.

The reason I wanted to know the order of the drives is pretty simple. It's because I had data on the drives when the update from OMV 5 to 6 failed. So when I installed OMV 6.0 from scratch (as well as upgraded 2 of the 8 drives from 2TB to 12TB), I wanted to make sure I knew which drives to add to the mergerfs pool and which drives were the parity drives for snapraid. OMV seems to always show the /dev/sd* names to reference drives in the GUI, so the UUID drive names had to be manually matched. I used df and blkid and ended up labeling the drive as well as a "touch drive#" on the drive for identification. It will also help to be able to know which drive matches the slot when I have to replace a drive that's going bad (like one of the 2TB drives I replaced that was failing). Anyway, I got done what I wanted to accomplish. I hope that answered your question. Thanks!

---

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!