Re-Creating vm's

• I'm trying to re-create a vm from omv5-kvm plugin (see attached LmXfce5.xml.txt) in the newer omv6 kvm plugin 6.1.22

Getting the following error message

500 - Internal Server Error

Unable to - poweronunsupported configuration: CPU mode 'host-passthrough' for x86_64 qemu domain on x86_64 host is not supported by hypervisor

See attached LmXfce6.xml.txt for configuration of the re-creation.

Attached omv6 kvm plugin info.txt is info of current server setup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I see a chipset difference (i440fx on omv 5 but q35 on omv 6) but I wouldn't think that would cause the problem. Strangely, I don't see the cpu element at all on your OMV 5 machine. So, I would try changing the cpu section to something like this:

Code
      <cpu mode='custom' match='exact' check='none'>
        <model fallback='allow'>EPYC-Rome</model>
        <topology sockets='1' dies='1' cores='2' threads='1'/>
      </cpu>

If that doesn't work, maybe try enabling uefi. If that doesn't work, I would try creating a VM from virt-manager to see how it builds the VM. Still strange that host-passthrough doesn't work. Maybe something too bleeding edge about the 5700G?? Send it to me to test with : )

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi ryecoaaron, tried your suggestion, it got the vm partially booting, thanks, but it only boots to a tty prompt.

Just tried re-creating a new vm with the settings in the attached pic, Screenshot from 2022-08-20 07-46-33.png.

But getting an error message.

500 - Internal Server Error

Failed to create VM XML. virt-install --boot hd,cdrom --arch x86_64 --cpu EPYC-Rome --disk '/srv/kvm/lmxfce.qcow2',bus=virtio,cache=none,io=native --memory 4096 --metadata description="qBitTorrent" --name LmXfce2 --network network=default,model=virtio,mac=RANDOM --os-variant name=debian10 --vcpus 2,sockets=1,cores=2,threads=1 --sound default --boot loader=/usr/share/OVMF/OVMF_CODE.fd --graphics vnc,listen=0.0.0.0 --print-xml > /tmp/LmXfce2.xml

What am I over looking here?

Just tried creating a new vm with a new disk and got a permission denied message.

What users/groups require what permissions on vm and iso files/folders?

• Offizieller Beitrag

What am I over looking here?

Hard to say without a better error message. I would try virt-manager.

Just tried creating a new vm with a new disk and got a permission denied message.

What users/groups require what permissions on vm and iso files/folders?

The VM folder should be owned by libvirt-qemu. The ISO folder just needs read permissions for libvirt-qemu (755).

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

noVNC URL link is missing .local

Unfortunately, this isn't always correct. None of my omv systems have a .local domain. The plugin is using php's gethostname function. Believe it or not, getting the fqdn of the host in php isn't as problem free as it should be. I will see if I can look the domain in the OMV database.

do you use Guacamole as a container?

Yep, all the time.

• Yep, all the time.

Which / who's container do you use?

I had guacamole/guacamole running good in omv5 (was getting the PulseAudio working b4 the omv6 upgrade/crash n burn of the server), but haven't figured out what's stopping it running in omv6 yet.

Tried jwetzell/guacamole today in omv6, but it's not starting either.

Not having much luck with guacamole at present.

Some of the problem(s) could be caused by permissions, still working on getting all the shares working correctly.

I will see if I can look the domain in the OMV database.

omv5 had it, but I guess omv6 is different.

Is that about the most useless statement for the day!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Which / who's container do you use?

I started with this and modified the compose file and scripts for my needs. It is using the official guacamole guacamole and guacd images.

omv5 had it, but I guess omv6 is different.

Correct. They are quite different. OMV 5 created the link from the client side. So, it used whatever you had in the url bar. OMV 6 creates the link from the server side. So, it doesn't really know what you used in the client. I will look at this.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!