New Build... This was a war!

• Offizieller Beitrag

This is a build log the likes of which you have probably never read. It is quite long as it is filled with frustration, anger, and ultimately victory (not to mention my own, wordy writing style). You have been warned.

On August 13, our warrior amassed his components and surveyed his battlefield

Chassis: Fractal Design R5

Motherboard: ASRock H570 Phantom Gaming 4

CPU: Pentium Gold G6405

RAM: GSKill Aegis 2x8gb DDR4 2666 (**or should have been)

Storage: 2, 8tb Seagate Iron Wolf 7200 NAS drives, 2 4tb WD's (from my old system)

PSU: 550w Silverstone 80+ Gold

And then chose his weapons of war

Unfortunately before battle could even commence, the warrior discovered problem #1. The RAM he had been sent was not the RAM he ordered and according to the motherboards manuscript, it was not compatible with his processor. The warrior briefly considered trying to use the RAM anyway as it was far more costly than what he had ordered, but instead chose caution. The warrior contacted NewEgg and the cheery young dame immediately arranged a new shipment which she assured the warrior should be received in 2 days. After resolving this matter, the warrior found problem #2. The warrior possessed only right angle SATA cables, and with this motherboard having only front facing SATA ports, these cables just would not work. The warrior feared not since he was already waiting on his new RAM and made an order with the great Amazon for 6 straight SATA cables, also to be delivered on the 15th. Unfortunately due to the warrior's overlords requiring his presence elsewhere, he would be unable to hone his skills on the battlefield until the 17th. So until then, the battlefield would be silent.

On the 15th, the warrior's SATA cables arrived as scheduled from the great Amazon, however, now he would face problem #3. The new RAM the warrior had requested as a replacement, was now showing it would not be delivered until the 20th due to a delay with the great brown delivery service. The warrior was frustrated now. His thirst for battle could not be quenched and he knew his overlords were demanding 16hr shifts of him on the 20th and 21st, making the earliest possible day for battle, the 22nd. The warrior impatiently waited a long 6 days, receiving his RAM just before reporting to his overlords on the 21st.

The warrior arrived to his castle at approx 0900hrs on the 22nd and although now fully prepared to enter the battlefield, he was weary after his previous back to back 16hr shifts, and so he rested to prepare for an evening battle. The warrior rose at approx. 1700hrs on the 22nd and entered the battlefield. This time, there would be no waiting for battle. His thirst would be quenched. The warrior began to slay his foe without mercy. Mounting the case fans, power supply, RAM, CPU and motherboard were all trivial matters that offered no resistance. The warrior then encountered problem #4. When the warrior mounted his CPU cooler it did not want to seat properly. This cooler was an Intel stock cooler with the 4 push pins, but only 3 pins would fully seat. Although the cooler felt secure, the warrior was concerned that as the cooler fan spun it would over time cause the CPU cooler to loosen and and it would surely fall from it's mount. The warrior attempted to reorient the cooler several times, but alas it was found it was always the same pin causing the problem. The warrior finally pushed with all his might on the faulty pin, to the point he feared cracking his motherboard, and it still would not fully seat. (Note upper left, it’s hard to tell in the pic, but that pin is just BARELY touching the bottom of the hole)

The warrior then set aside that problem and continued to wire his motherboard and drives with power, data cables, etc. It was then that the warrior encountered problem #5. The warrior had purchased a USB 3.2 header cable to connect a flash drive directly to the internal port of the motherboard to hold his OS. However this cable was nowhere to be found in his castle. The warrior could have easily used the external 3.2 USB port on his motherboard, but did not like this solution. Now the warrior was angry, he had had all he could stand. He had just seen this cable 2 days prior. The warrior searched his castle high and low and the cable could not be located. Finally, the warriors betrothed spoke up and made a reasonable suggestion, "Master, if the cable was only $14, just order another one". While the warrior conceded this would be easiest, he was still angry and would not relent. After another hour of fruitless searching, the warriors betrothed became angry and demanded he stop this foolishness at once or he would surely sleep with the goats that evening. Finally, the warrior relented. The warrior logged in to the great Amazon again and ordered a new cable, and all the while the problem with the CPU cooler could not be forgotten. He pondered a solution, before finally ordering an aftermarket cooler (which came with a threaded backplate) and thermal compound. These items would not be delivered until the 24th and because of the warriors overlords being so demanding, his earliest availability for battle would be the evening of the 26th. And so the warrior slumbered.

On the 24th at approx. 1430hrs, the castle bell rang as Amazon had brought the new cooler and header cable. Unable to restrain himself and thirsty for battle, the warrior rose from his slumber and again entered the battlefield, mounting the header cable and new cooler with ease. Aye, this warrior will think twice before again using an Intel cooler with that push pin system. The warrior then began the arduous task of cable management, which while time consuming to do right, was relatively easy on the Fractal Design R5 and using lots of zip ties. Again however, 1530hrs arrived and it was time to go serve his overlords once again. This battle would have to rage at least 2 more days.

The warrior arrived home at 0700hrs on the 25th, although very weary, he was eager to deal a death blow to his foe. He finished and double checked his wiring and cables, connected power and Powered On. The fans whirred and his nemesis appeared to have finally fallen as the system completed a successful POST. The warrior made some brief BIOS adjustments but now even with a final victory so close, the warrior knew he must rest. He has learned over these last 2 weeks, 1530hrs comes very very quickly.

On the 26th the warrior arrived home from his overlords in the early hours and rested until 1530hrs. Once rested, he again entered the field of battle for what would surely be the end of this struggle. He installed his OS, to which his oppponent offered no resistance. It knew the battle had been been lost and complete and total defeat was imminent. By 1700hrs, all services had been restored and the warrior basked in his accomplishment. Finally, the savagery was over.

By 1900hrs, the battlefield was empty. The boxes and other debris that had littered the area were now discarded, the work table folded up and put away. No signs of the frustration and carnage that had been endured over the last 2 weeks could be seen as they were now known only to the warrior who carried the scars. There was peace. Peace could not have been more timely, as a new battle will soon be fought. On the 27th the warrior will face a foe he has never faced, and has often greatly feared... on this day his betrothed will become his wife! :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Some final (serious) thoughts.

1. The RAM I was sent, was actually considerably faster and a lot more expensive than what I ordered (easily double the cost of what I had ordered). As I said I considered trying to use it, but the manual was pretty specific on the RAM my CPU could use and I figured returning it after I opened it would be a hassle. Then I considered buying RAM again and flipping the more expensive RAM on eBay. While I would have no doubt profited.. that just seemed like a hassle. Still not sure what happened with shipping. It shipped from NewEgg, then sat in Louisville for several days. I could have just drove down there and picked it up.

2. That push pin system on that cooler. That was incredibly frustrating. I still have no idea what caused that problem. Looking at the pins, they were all the same size. I reoriented the cooler several times, and it was always that pin that caused the problem. It felt secure, even though that pin was obviously not seating properly. I have little doubt that had I just left it like that, as that fan spun it would have fallen off of the socket in no time. I know one thing, next time I go to the range I’m taking that cooler with me and it’s getting a .223 round right through the center...lol. On the contrary, the Thermaltake I ordered w/ the backplate was incredibly easy to install and very secure. Why Intel isn’t going with this method is beyond me. That plastic backplate can’t be that expensive. I assume they probably have to account for some folks maybe having a chassis that doesn’t have a cut out (although I think almost all of them do nowadays)

3. Which brings me to the chassis (Fractal Design R5). I actually got this a couple months ago when it popped up on sale for $99 (regularly $140ish). This case is just flat out amazing. Excellent wire management, lots of fan options, almost entirely tool free. Just a very well designed case.. which I’ve come to expect from Fractal Design. However, it is a Big and Heavy case. 8, 3.5in bays, 2, 5.25in bays and 2, 2.5in bays. You can pack some serious storage into this thing. So if you’re not wanting to go w/ a full rack mount, but need more than just a toy computer.. I’d give this case a serious look. It’s a few years old, so it won’t have front side USB 3.2. Also, that light around the power switch is BRIGHT. Thank goodness this thing is in a closet.

4. Speaking of USB 3.2. The lost cable… Don’t even get me started on that. I'm still fuming over that. I had bought it about a couple months ago when I ordered the R5. When I got them, I opened the R5 to make sure it wasn't damaged, all parts received, etc.. since I knew I wouldn't be using it for a couple of months. I remember specifically putting it inside the R5, then putting the R5 back in the box. Then I moved... and a couple weeks ago took the R5 out of the box to start the build... and it was then I realized the cable wasn't there.

• No signs of the frustration and carnage that had been endured over the last 2 weeks could be seen as they were now known only to the warrior who carried the scars. There was peace.

Beautiful. And now you don’t have swelling capacitors like the old motherboard did.

I know one thing, next time I go to the range I’m taking that cooler with me and it’s getting a .223 round right through the center...lol.

Bast caliber for sure, for a cooler of this poor design.

He installed his OS, to which his oppponent offered no resistance.

Did you use the dedicated installer, or a basic debian+script install? Just curious.

Well…. Enjoy your doctor pepper. And congratulations about tomorrow.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I always use the Debian/Install script method.

It's not really anything against the OMV ISO, I just usually always have a Debian netinst ISO downloaded, as I run it in VM's a lot.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Very good write-up KM0201!

I've never liked the push pins, and used ones splay out and break all the time. I guess your mainboard cooler mounting holes were not all properly sized.

Well, I considered that. I still believe it had something to do with the cooler itself... Because if it was the board, then one would think it would always be the same hole (at least in my way of thinking).. however, no matter how it was oriented, the hole would have stayed the same. When I would reorient the cooler, it was always THAT pin that wouldn't go through. Whether I tried to put it through first, or put it through last.. it wouldn't work.

Also, the way the backplate is, it has almost like a small brass standoff that goes through the holes, and it will sort of hold in place while you screw down the cooler. The backplate and Thermaltake cooler, lined up perfectly.

I'm still of the mindset, it had something to do with that pin, just not sure what (also, it was a brand new CPU and cooler).

• Yep, Fractal Design makes great cases. :thumbup:

I have my HTPC built into white Node 304. Excellent build quality, good wire management, lots of space (for ITX case, that is).

Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yep, Fractal Design makes great cases. :thumbup:

I have my HTPC built into white Node 304. Excellent build quality, good wire management, lots of space (for ITX case, that is).

I moved my old NAS to a 304 several years ago. My 1 issue with it, was it only supported ITX. The case itself, for as small as it was, was fantastic. That motherboard had a very wonky and unreliable Realtek NIC. No matter what suggested fixes I tried, it just never worked right. Every time I'd upgrade Debian/OMV, I'd try getting that device working correctly or at least somewhat reliably.. and despite others saying how awesome it was.. I constantly got random disconnects, slow speeds (and often times excellent speeds). I replaced it with an Intel card and never once had an issue with that card. This is the reason I will never buy or recommend another board w/ a Realtek NIC if it's being used for OMV.

Anyway, I had to use the PCI-e slot to install a NIC. This limited me to the 4 ports on my motherboard, unless I purchased a new board since I had no where to use a sata card.

When I was researching this build (I'd only been doing that... oh, 2yrs...lol), an 804 was high on my list of possibilities for a chassis. My biggest issue with it, was it had a side window (which I hate). Had I been able to find one w/o a side window that probably would have been the chassis I went with. I was fine with MicroATX, as that would have given me 3 PCI-e slots if ever needed them.. which would have been plenty.

If there is one thing I dislike about the R5, it's the fact that it is massive... but I knew that buying it. This a non issue however, as it sits in a closet and is more or less out of site, out of mind.

• That motherboard had a very wonky and unreliable Realtek NIC. No matter what suggested fixes I tried, it just never worked right. Every time I'd upgrade Debian/OMV, I'd try getting that device working correctly or at least somewhat reliably.

Yep, I also had problems with Realtek NIC in my machine at work both with Ubuntu and Mint. In the end, the workaround was to search the Internet, read a lot of information, try a lot of different kernel drivers until I finally found one that worked. IIRC, that was around Ubuntu 16.04, so maybe now things are better.

Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

• If there is one thing I dislike about the R5, it's the fact that it is massive... but I knew that buying it. This a non issue however, as it sits in a closet and is more or less out of site, out of mind.

I was considering R5 for my main rig at home as well. Seemed a bit biggish, just like you said.

So eventually I bought... wait for it... Phanteks Enthoo 719! :D It's ginormous, but at least it can house two separate systems, especially since I also bought their Revolt X PSU. In my defense, I was younger then, just around 52, so don't judge me. ^^

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von IggyWhite ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!