OMV not showing in boot menu

• I have installed the 6.0.24 iso and installed it on to an external HD. The HD doesn't show in the boot menu and the HD isn't accessible in Windows Explorer.

Is there another way to complete the installation?

The HD is a Seagate One Touch Hub.

• Official Post

I have installed the 6.0.24 iso and installed it on to an external HD. The HD doesn't show in the boot menu and the HD isn't accessible in Windows Explorer.

Is there another way to complete the installation?

The OMV system disk is not shown in the GUI by default. You can get it to show up by installing the openmediavault-sharerootfs plugin, but why do you need to do this? The installation has not been completed successfully?

• The OMV system disk is not shown in the GUI by default. You can get it to show up by installing the openmediavault-sharerootfs plugin, but why do you need to do this? The installation has not been completed successfully

After the installation it says to remove the USB and boot into OMV. The system reboots back into Windows and pressing Escape doesn't give the option to boot on to the external HD.

Sorry it's all going over my head and probably missed something.

• Official Post

After the installation it says to remove the USB and boot into OMV. The system reboots back into Windows and pressing Escape doesn't give the option to boot on to the external HD.

Sorry it's all going over my head and probably missed something.

Why are you trying to dual boot a server?

• Official Post

I'm following guides on Youtube. After the installation they boot to OMV https://youtu.be/UawYG_itpM4?t=267 I cannot get to this screen. I've tried using openmediavault.local in my browser.

Well, Windows isn't going to see the drive to begin with as windows (by default) doesn't read Linux filesystems.

Did you install with multiple hard drives connected to the system? It's possible grub got installed somewhere else.

• Well, Windows isn't going to see the drive to begin with as windows (by default) doesn't read Linux filesystems.

Did you install with multiple hard drives connected to the system? It's possible grub got installed somewhere else.

I got two drives. One running Win 10 and an external drive with OMV on it.

I'll take a look to see where grub is being installed.

• Official Post

That DBTech video creates a VM (Virtual Machine) if you are following that how and what have you used to create the VM, if you have simply attempted to install OMV to an external drive and expect Windows to dual boot, don't think that's going to happen.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!