Apply changes in GUI takes a very long time.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Looks like your system is losing connection on the netplan apply. I assume there are no files in /etc/systemd/network/? I don't see any problem with your netplan files. Can you post the output of: sudo netplan --debug apply

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I assume there are no files in /etc/systemd/network/?

Correct. No files.

Just in case I post here my networkd.conf

And the network goes down :(

• Offizieller Beitrag

And the network goes down

Have you tried ip a from a console after the network goes down? There are many times the machine gets a different ip address when the networking type changes.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Have you tried ip a from a console after the network goes down? There are many times the machine gets a different ip address when the networking type changes.

I tried before to issue a ifconfig from the console directly connected to the server and the network interfaces were without ip address.

Also, at least for the primary interface, the routeer has an IP reservation for that MAC address.

I also tried to set fixed IP with omv-firstaid but the result as the same.

Network goes down trying to apply the new settings. After reboot the network goes up with the new settings (AFAIR) and the GUI tells me that there are some pending changes. As soon as I apply the changes the nework goes down.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Network goes down trying to apply the new settings. After reboot the network goes up with the new settings (AFAIR) and the GUI tells me that there are some pending changes. As soon as I apply the changes the nework goes down.

All I can think is you have some other networking system interfering with netplan. OMV can't do anything to fix netplan apply not working. You can echo "[]" | sudo tee /var/lib/openmediavault/dirtymodules.json to remove the apply bar but you don't be able to change anything that marks the network module dirty. When you reboot after a failed netplan apply or omv apply changes, does your system happen to have two ip addresses? What is the output of: dpkg -l | grep -iE "network|dhcp"

• When you reboot after a failed netplan apply or omv apply changes, does your system happen to have two ip addresses? What is the output of: dpkg -l | grep -iE "network|dhcp"

It has two IP addresses. One for eno1 and one for br0.

I as suspecting something is interfering with netplan, but I really don't know enough to debug it.

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It has two IP addresses. One for eno1 and one for br0.

I as suspecting something is interfering with netplan, but I really don't know enough to debug it.

eno1 should not have an IP address when you are using a bridge. That is definitely the problem. Do you have ifupdown installed?

dpkg -l | grep ifupdown

cat /etc/network/interfaces

ls -al /etc/network/interfaces.d/

sudo grep -ir dhcp /etc/*

• eno1 should not have an IP address when you are using a bridge. That is definitely the problem. Do you have ifupdown installed?

dpkg -l | grep ifupdown

cat /etc/network/interfaces

ls -al /etc/network/interfaces.d/

sudo grep -ir dhcp /etc/*

No, I’m sorry. I wasn’t clear

I have two nic.

Eno1 and eno2

Eno2 is using a bridge.

Ifupdown is installed.

Code
    gianpaolo@omv:~$ dpkg -l |grep ifupii  ifupdown                                  0.8.36+pve1                    amd64        high level tools to configure network interfaces

Directory interfaces.d is empty

Code
    gianpaolo@omv:~$ ls -al /etc/network/interfaces.d/
    total 8
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Nov  4  2020 .
    drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 4096 Sep 16 14:50 ..

File interfaces seems empty

Code
    gianpaolo@omv:~$ cat /etc/network/interfaces# This file is auto-generated by openmediavault (https://www.openmediavault.org)
    # WARNING: Do not edit this file, your changes will get lost.

# interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
    # Better use netplan.io or systemd-networkd to configure additional interface stanzas.

# Include files from /etc/network/interfaces.d:
    source-directory /etc/network/interfaces.d

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ah, you must have dhclient installed. That should be removed. apt-get purge isc-dhcp-common

• I did. But there is a strange thing. I purged it but then I got curious to see if there were some dhclient config or script and I found there was a /sbin/dhclient file. So I asked what package owned it

Code
    gianpaolo@omv:~$ dpkg -S /sbin/dhclient
    isc-dhcp-client: /sbin/dhclient

So I thought I hadn't remove it yet but:

Code
    gianpaolo@omv:~$ sudo apt-get  purge isc-dhcp-common
    [sudo] password for gianpaolo: 
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    Reading state information... Done
    Package 'isc-dhcp-common' is not installed, so not removed

So the package is removed but somehow a file owned by that package is still present on my system?

Anyhow I retried to do a netplan --debug apply but the network went down.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sorry, I had the package name wrong. Did you reboot after removing the package? If yes, then the last thing I would try is forcing it to create a new machine ID sudo truncate -s 0 /etc/machine-id. You might get a new dhcp address (depending on router behavior) when doing this but hopefully you only have one.

• Sorry, I had the package name wrong. Did you reboot after removing the package? If yes, then the last thing I would try is forcing it to create a new machine ID sudo truncate -s 0 /etc/machine-id. You might get a new dhcp address (depending on router behavior) when doing this but hopefully you only have one.

So, what was the package to remove?

Do I have to reinstall isc-dhcp-common?

Yes. I did reboot after removing the package and after netplan apply.

I will try to create a new machine ID later when I get home.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So, what was the package to remove?

Do I have to reinstall isc-dhcp-common?

isc-dhcp-client but really all of the isc-dhcp packages can be removed.

I will try to create a new machine ID later when I get home.

You just need to empty the file not create a new machine id. The system will create a new one for you on the next boot.

• Hi, not sure where to start with this issue, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm having a similar issue with "Apply Pending configuration changes". When Apply is clicked the whole server losses the network and goes off line. A reboot gets the server back on the lan, but "Apply Pending configuration changes" is still there.

Hopefully the attached files may help.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi, not sure where to start with this issue, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm having a similar issue with "Apply Pending configuration changes". When Apply is clicked the whole server losses the network and goes off line. A reboot gets the server back on the lan, but "Apply Pending configuration changes" is still there.

Were you changing a network setting? Just trying to figure out what changed.

• Were you changing a network setting?

No network changes made since installing omv6 a few weeks ago, (sometime later I will create a br0 for kvm, but not yet).

The only thing I recall doing prior to noticing the "Apply Pending configuration changes", was a cli apt update && apt upgrade and trialing some rclonebrowser/rclonewebui containers in portainer.

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV itself either marked it dirty or something had a dependency on it. You can remove systemd-networkd from /var/lib/openmediavault/dirtymodules.json

• remove systemd-networkd from /var/lib/openmediavault/dirtymodules.json

That fixed it, thank you Aaron.

Just recalled there was also another error message being displayed on the server monitor when the "Apply Pending configuration changes" first appeared.

It was about a duplicate entry in the fstab, the boot drive uuid was entered twice, I edited the fstab by removing the duplicate in the "openmediavualt section", server stopped displaying the error then, and the network would stay up continuously.

OMV 6 seems fragile compared to OMV 5, or am I just having a bad run with it while ironing out the bugs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV 6 seems fragile compared to OMV 5, or am I just having a bad run with it while ironing out the bugs!

The backend has hardly changed and that is where these issues are happening. I can't explain or reproduce them on my many omv6 setups. Maybe the frontend is allowing things it shouldn't and causing this.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!