Followed install on Rasp 4 according the guides but no access in Windows [SOLVED]

• Hello,

for the 2nd time I reinstalled everything, first time it cost me 2 days to get access which I did not get. I followed the install as written on Raspberry.org

Now I followed the guides on this site to the letter, so everyone should have read/write. No plugins installed, just exactly as the guide.

It's Raspi 64bits Lite installed and after that OMV installed, and waited until it rebooted. after that exactly according the guide created shares.

And created the SMB. Now I see the share in Win10, but I can't access it.

I double checked if I ticked the correct boxes as in the guide.

what to do next?

#======================= Share Definitions =======================

[Fotos]

path = /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-a793b25f-f412-44c5-9540-c1f209cf8008/Fotos/

guest ok = yes

guest only = no

read only = no

browseable = yes

inherit acls = no

inherit permissions = yes

ea support = yes

store dos attributes = yes

vfs objects =

printable = no

create mask = 0664

force create mode = 0664

directory mask = 0775

force directory mode = 0775

hide special files = yes

follow symlinks = yes

hide dot files = yes

read list =

write list =

ls -lah /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-a793b25f-f412-44c5-9540-c1f209cf8008/Fotos

total 8.0K

drwxrwsrwx 2 root users 4.0K Sep 5 21:33 .

drwx------ 5 jmb jmb 4.0K Sep 5 21:33 ..

Thanks for any suggestion.

• Hi,

I followed these 2 url with suggestions, enabling smb(was enabled), adding key to register etc.

https://docs.microsoft.com/nl-…b2-is-disabled-by-default

https://docs.microsoft.com/nl-…er?source=recommendations

unfortunately to no avail. depending on some settings one might get the option to enter a password, but that does not work either. Allowing guests should actually give access.

Hoping that someone knows what to do.

Thanks for any suggestion.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What guide did you follow?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• I went thru all that and tried several settings. creating a new share etc.

Placing user under group root also just to try.

Guest, only, guest allowed, no guest etc

Adjusted user so the username and password is equal to the windows one. This makes me asking why are there options to to enable access to everyone, because that should working also I guess as a start, before starting limiting others to certain shares.

I would tend to think that placing a user in a group, and that group has access to a share, that would be enough to get access, right?

So I'm not getting it, if I do set or do not set rights to the share or the user, access is not given.

By the way I'm using a USB HDD Toshiba 1TB, but that should not be an issue I assume.

Thanks for your help.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Placing user under group root also just to try.

The directories are owned by users. So, adding to root group would block access. I would not do this.

Adjusted user so the username and password is equal to the windows one.

Before or after enabling smb/cifs?

This makes me asking why are there options to to enable access to everyone, because that should working also I guess as a start, before starting limiting others to certain shares.

Enabling access to the share does not mean they will be able to access the files IF the files are not owned by the user or the group the user is in or the files have world readable permissions.

I would tend to think that placing a user in a group, and that group has access to a share, that would be enough to get access, right?

To the share, yes. To the files, only if that group has permissions.

Have you tried the resetperms plugin? This can change the group of the files back to users. Then make sure your accessing user is in the users group.

What filesystem are you using? You screenshot above doesn't show any files in the share either.

• Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

So the sequence is important when you create the user and when creating the SMB share? If so can one not add a user after an SMB share is created?

I will try the resetperms plugin as mentioned.

I've created the whole drive as a single partition as EXT4 via my Linux Ubuntu setup which is on my PC (it's a triple boot win10/Linux/MacOS),

because within OMV 6 I could not create or format it. But creating the shared on the HDD is working.

The pi is on rasp 64 bit Lite.

There are no files yet in the share, only the folder which was created as share. No access yet so I can't put a file on it yet.

Will report back

• Offizieller Beitrag

So the sequence is important when you create the user and when creating the SMB share? If so can one not add a user after an SMB share is created?

The sequence is important. If you create the user before enabling samba, the user will not have a samba password. If you create the user after enabling samba or change the user's password after samba is enabled, the password will be set for the os and samba.

• 1st I used the plugin to reset all rights.

I removed the user and removed the SMB and disabled samba.

I tried to remove the share on the disk but the possibility came not available.

Then re-created the SMB share, after this I recreated the user. (of course I apply every step)

I did not set rights at the user.

With or without read/Write rights on the Storage Share, no access is given. There is a password requested although upfront windows says the username or password is not correct, before you enter anything.

Next I rebooted the rpi via the reboot function in OMV. Still no go.

this stays the same:

ls -lah /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-a793b25f-f412-44c5-9540-c1f209cf8008/Fotos

total 8.0K

drwxrwsrwx 2 root users 4.0K Sep 5 21:33 .

drwx------ 6 jmb jmb 4.0K Sep 8 18:32 ..

#======================= Share Definitions =======================

[Fotos]

path = /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-a793b25f-f412-44c5-9540-c1f209cf8008/Fotos/

guest ok = yes

guest only = no

read only = no

browseable = yes

inherit acls = no

inherit permissions = yes

ea support = yes

store dos attributes = yes

vfs objects =

printable = no

create mask = 0664

force create mode = 0664

directory mask = 0775

force directory mode = 0775

hide special files = yes

follow symlinks = yes

hide dot files = yes

read list =

write list = "Jerry"

• Offizieller Beitrag

I really don't know why you did all of that. All you had to do is change the user's password (even if to the same password) assuming samba was enabled. Here is the way I set up samba when I have to use it.

On a fresh OMV install ( you might have to start later in the steps if you have already done them):

mount filesystem

create sharedfolder on new filesystem

enable samba

create samba share using new sharedfolder

create user

give user permissions to sharedfolder

• Hi,

I really don't know why you did all of that. All you had to do is change the user's password (even if to the same password) assuming samba was enabled. Here is the way I set up samba when I have to use it.

That I did to see if adding to the roots group would benefit from the rights.

-----------------------------

I removed all users and SMB share, I tried to remove the Storage share folder which it refused. The bin was not accessible. Then wiped it within OMV. I can't seem to create a new drive or format it within OMV. Strange is the old fotos folder is still there, can't remove it. it's just a db entry I guess.

Then I reformatted the HDD on Linux as EXT4.

Then again exactly according your list above did the steps. Applying each step.

I saw that when rights are given to the user at the Storage shared folder, these rights become the same at the User settings.

Entered the share on Win10, windows asks for the password for the user. It seems it accepts it as I get no error.

I see the new share folder called Photos. Double click it... no access

• Offizieller Beitrag

That I did to see if adding to the roots group would benefit from the rights.

Adding to root's group rarely gives any rights.

Entered the share on Win10, windows asks for the password for the user. It seems it accepts it as I get no error.

I see the new share folder called Photos. Double click it... no access

I don't know then. Someone who likes Windows will have to help.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm not sure it's just a windows problem as I tried al so on Linux getting similar result

I just tried setting up a samba share on two OMV systems and connecting from a Windows VM and Linux VM and had no issues. I'm not sure where the problem is.

• small update:

For test I formatted a 4GB usbstick as FAT32.

Mounted it in OMV -->created share-->created SMB-->created 2 shared folders on it-->Created testuser-->No access

But! The existing Windows user with the same user name as in win10 now does get access to the USBstick after giving read/write rights.

Strange hey?

So now I'm going to try with the USB HDD to reformat it as FAT32 and see if the Windows User will now also get access.

Will check on Linux and Macos too.

***edit*** still testing with the temporary USBstick

- can connect on Linux as same user as on win10 and can edit a simple text file and save it

- can connect on Macos as same user as on Windows and read write, and also as after disconnect, connect as another user "testuser"and have full access to the share. I can not connect as another "testuser" to the share allthough it has access according the given rights on Win10.

Now will try it with the usb HDD.

***2nd Edit***

Well the USB HDD could not be formatted as FAT32 but as exFAT. So I did not choose the standard NTFS on win10.

And this just works. I'm happy, it costed a few days but this works.

EXT4 does not work for me on Rasp4 8GB with external 1TB USB HDD, exFAT does work.

I noticed that now there is no option to set ACL rights when selecting the shared folder in OMV. But this is ok.

***3rd edit***

Next to the solution in the 2nd edit, I just tried on another Win10 laptop and then I can't get access for another user, but I think the solutions on these links here below have to be implemented on win10. On my PC I already did that before the exfat solution and it was not enough before I tried exFAT.

https://docs.microsoft.com/nl-…b2-is-disabled-by-default

https://docs.microsoft.com/nl-…er?source=recommendations

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von sifu-tse () aus folgendem Grund: Added extra info.

• sifu-tse

Hat den Titel des Themas von „Followed install on Rasp 4 according the guides but no access in Windows“ zu „Followed install on Rasp 4 according the guides but no access in Windows [SOLVED]“ geändert.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

You didn't really fix the problem. You just chose non-native Linux filesystems that don't really support permissions. So, you just have everything wide open and that is why it works.

• Yes you might be correct in that.

Well at least the other 2 users seem not to be able to get into the folders of the other.

As I'm now only using this in-house, no access from internet, it is good for me. And I don't have a solution for why it don't work with EXT4 which I preference.

The question for me is, as the rasp is a Linux system and controls the access, why is EXT4 not allowing a user access and exFAT does while according to the settings the rights are similar?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!