USB boot drive read only after 6 weeks of use

• I got a brandnew Sandisk 64gb ultrafit usb 3.1 flash drive 6 weeks ago and installed OMV 6 on it using it as the boot drive on a terramaster f5-221. I installed the usb-plugin to preserve the lifespan and have being using the machine file storage and some docker apps like jellyfin and some omv-extras plugins. (config files and large files stored on a ssd and hdd)

All was working well until the early hours of this morning when I got an emailed monitoring alert that the filesystem has being mounted as read only.

Email alert:

Event: Filesystem flags changed
    Description: filesystem flags changed to ro,relatime,errors=remount-ro

I couldn't log into the web-gui. So I ssh'd in and rebooted the system. It then wouldn't boot saying the root file system is read-only. That it failed to mount and went to a busybox terminal. I took the usb out of the system Looking at it on another computer:

sudo fsck.ext4 -n /dev/sda1  8 ✘

e2fsck 1.46.5 (30-Dec-2021)

Warning: skipping journal recovery because doing a read-only filesystem check.

/dev/sda1: clean, 222656/3694592 files, 3698542/14771712 blocks

Dmesg:

[ 1342.245040] sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0

[ 1342.245702] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 120176640 512-byte logical blocks: (61.5 GB/57.3 GiB)

[ 1342.247660] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is on

[ 1342.247669] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 43 00 80 00

[ 1342.248236] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: disabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA

[ 1342.256600] sda: sda1 sda2 < sda5 >

[ 1342.259241] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk

[ 1342.932326] EXT4-fs (sda1): INFO: recovery required on readonly filesystem

[ 1342.932338] EXT4-fs (sda1): write access unavailable, cannot proceed (try mounting with noload)

Is there anyway to tell if the usb is read only due to it dying from omv being installed on it? Is it likely a defective usb thumbdrive being that the usb plugin was installed? I noticed that there were some smart errors on the thumb drive in the past two weeks, but assumed it was cause omv had crashed a number of times a few weeks before from what I determined was a bug in hardware encoding causing the whole system to freeze.

Thanks in advance for everyones help

• When you say "USB plugin", do you mean the flashmemory plugin?

Do you have it installed and running?

It's not normal a good quality stick like that to be dead on such a small time.

What you can try is to mount the drive RW:

mount -o remount,rw / and after touch /forcefsck to run e2fsck at boot time.

Check the output for errors.

• Hi Soma. Yes the openmediavault-flashmemory plugin. It was installed and the system rebooted within a few hours of installing omv. I assume that is all that is needed to get it working. It was listed under plugins and from reading the documentation I assume it works when installed with no further options? For mount -o remount,rw / and after touch /forcefsck do I do that with it plugged back in the nas where it will only boot into busybox terminal? Or can I do those command on my linux laptop and reboot into the usb that way? I also had the systemrescuecd kernal plugin installed so could do the command in that too.

• do I do that with it plugged back in the nas where it will only boot into busybox terminal

Yes.

Or run it on another PC but it must be unmounted.

• The pic says that the disk is "write-protected".

Does the USB stick has some switch to prevent writing?

Something like the SDcards side-slider?

I only saw that type of situation on a OEM Samsung stick that came with the SCADA servers and with write-protect flag to prevent tempering.

Couldn't remove the flag even on low-level format.

If you have an extra stick, you could try to unplug ALL drives and install OMV fresh.

After you have OMV set up, power down, plug drives and see if it's running OK.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!