MergerFS pool disappears for no reason

• Hi

i have OMV6 on a Raspberry pi and i have switched my HDDs with new ones and the switch was successful but there is one problem occuring with mergerfs.

I have created a pool of 3 HDDs and the pool works fine but after for example lets say 6h OMV shows me a error that the filesystem could not be mounted but it was there a few seconds ago. The drives are 100% new out of the box.

Any idea why the pool disappears and then after reboot and restarting the pool the pool appears again?

In the syslogs i found mounting errors or something but i don't really know what coused the mounting errors.

Has someone with better knowledge then me a idea?

• Offizieller Beitrag

but after for example lets say 6h OMV shows me a error that the filesystem could not be mounted but it was there a few seconds ago

Are the hard drives connected directly to the PI or is there an intermediate power supply?

• Are the hard drives connected directly to the PI or is there an intermediate power supply?

there is a sata hat inbetween with an additional power supply.

But i think i maybe found the issue. I have one 60w power supply for the sata hat what also can power the pi itself but after the last mount issue i put the standart pi power supply additionally. So now i have two power supplies that power the pi and the HDDs.

Nothing is jet guaranteed but it is successfully online for more then one day then 6h so maybe if i am lucky it was just the high peak power draw that caused the drives to be unmounted. But i am still testing.

• Update:

Since the NAS is now online since 4 days without interruption, i believe it was the power issue. For now it runs stable.

Thank you chente for trying to narrow the issue down. I just tried the additional power supply as a test so it was more of gambling but luckyly it worked :).

• Copaxy

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • I have one 60w power supply for the sata hat what also can power the pi itself

Which HAT version do you have? v1 or v2?

If you have the v2, you're using a 12V power supply that feed both the HAT and the Pi (as it should be).

If 60w (5A) isn't enough, get a power supply with more juice (75W or 90W).

I don't think it's a good idea to put 2x power supplies on that rig at the same time (if I read it right, 1xUSB-C on the Pi itself and the other plugged on the HAT. You're putting power on the GPIO from 2 distinct sources):

So now i have two power supplies that power the pi and the HDDs.

• Which HAT version do you have? v1 or v2?

Where i can see which version i have? i had it quite early when it got released so i believe it should be version 1, but i am not sure.

If you have the v2, you're using a 12V power supply that feed both the HAT and the Pi (as it should be).

If 60w (5A) isn't enough, get a power supply with more juice (75W or 90W).

I don't think it's a good idea to put 2x power supplies on that rig at the same time (if I read it right, 1xUSB-C on the Pi itself and the other plugged on the HAT. You're putting power on the GPIO from 2 distinct sources):

yeah true i am already looking for one with more juice.

Yes i know this is probably not the best solution but i just thought then the pi can take its juice from the pi power supply on the usb c and the other bigger power supply can power the disks.

I measured the power delivery when using the pi itself and with the HAT.

When i use just the pi it takes about 12W in idle and when i use it with the HAT and both power supplies, the pi power supply on the usb c port takes around 10-12W and the bigger HAT power supply on the (dc round connector) takes around 29-38W. The pi power supply is quite stable on point on what the pi usually consumes.

Since i don't have a new power supply, i will continue with both power supplies but when i buy a new on i get one with more power.

• I have one more question for the electronic experts here.

Since it is not so "easy" to find a propper dc round connector power supply with like 80-90W, does it make a difference when i just take a normal SCHUKO cable, put it on a DC transformer which is capable to deliver 90W DC and connect it to a dc round cable?

I used one for a external fan setup with an noctua NA FC1 4Pin Fan control unit and also for lamps or leds.

So basically is it okey to build a power supply or bad idea?

suggestions?

• Offizieller Beitrag

If done correctly it is ok.

On the AC side be aware of the 230V. 230VAC can cause serious harm. Also take care of grounding (yellow/green wire)

On the DC side be aware of the polarity (+/-).

And make sure to select the correct voltage.

• If done correctly it is ok.

On the AC side be aware of the 230V. 230VAC can cause serious harm. Also take care of grounding (yellow/green wire)

On the DC side be aware of the polarity (+/-).

And make sure to select the correct voltage.

Okey that sounds good.

Yes i am aware of the 230VAC and the polarity.

I would like to go into more detail with the grounding. Because a SCHUKO cable has 3 seperate wires (L Phase, N Phase and Ground) but a DC transformer just has 2 inlets and outlets. So the L and N Phase should be no problem, just connect them correct as you said, but what about the grounding? How to i propper ground the whole unit?

Previously i only used normal euro connectors without ground for less then 5A devices so i have not so much experience with grounding on SCHUKO cables.

• Offizieller Beitrag

And when it has a plastic case?

Then they are not grounded.

Should be provided by the documentation of the PSU.

Like here

https://www.reichelt.de/index.…E=D500%2FRS-100_DS-EN.PDF

for

https://www.reichelt.de/schalt….html?&trstct=pos_0&nbc=1

• Offizieller Beitrag

Let's assume the suppliers knows what he is doing. Then if they have a possibility to ground, it is needed. If they don't have the possibility it is not needed. Metal cases need to be grounded, plastic cases not.

• Zitat

Let's assume the suppliers knows what he is doing. Then if they have a possibility to ground, it is needed. If they don't have the possibility it is not needed. Metal cases need to be grounded, plastic cases not.

Ah okey. Interesting.

Thank you for the information :)

• Where i can see which version i have? i had it quite early when it got released so i believe it should be version 1, but i am not sure.

If the HAT has an USB-C connector, it's v1.

If it has a 5.5x2.1mm DC jack barrel, then it's v2.

If you have the latest, there's no point in franken-hack a power supply.

Just get one with the same specs but with more juice (12v/ 75w)

Something like this:

Tesfish 12 V 7 A Adaptador de corrente transformador, 84 W, fonte de alimentação 5,5 x 2,1/2,5 mm para CCTV, câmara, roteador, LED 5050 2835 fita de luz : Amazon.es: Eletrónica

• Copaxy

Hat das Label gelöst entfernt.
  • Okey sorry, but i have to reopen the thread.

I don't know what it coused but since today OMV doesn't recognize my file systems anymore :/

Code
    Couldn't extract an UUID from the provided path '/srv/mergerfs/MyNAS'.
    a few seconds ago

It also sometimes says something about that it could not find the UUID in fstab. But did not he way of mounting drives got changed so it works without fstab?

I am confused what happened or what is causing the problem....

Also another thing is when i click on some pages of OMV it shows a error for old cached data and needs to be reloaded. Somethimes i can not open a page because it always needs to reload.

• Interesting things i found in the sys logs

Code
    Sep 12 12:43:52 MeinNAS chronyd[885]: System clock wrong by 36294.544873 seconds
    Sep 12 12:43:52 MeinNAS systemd[1]: Starting Clean php session files...
    Sep 12 12:43:52 MeinNAS chronyd[885]: System clock was stepped by 36294.544873 seconds

OMV suggests me to use the nonempty mount option on the mergerfs pool but since it is not in the fstab anaymore, how can i tell omv that while booting?

Any ideas why the disks fail to mount?

• from systemd file for the mergerfs pool

config.xml

All UUIDs seem correct and everything looks normal but still no clue why the error occours and omv cannot mount anything

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!