MergerFS pool disappears for no reason

• If you did removed the data on the GUI, the second command shouldn't show anything:

After stopping and removing Portainer, you can try to force delete the folder:

sudo rm -rf /var/lib/docker/volumes/portainer_data

Then on the GUI, install it again.

• Okey will will try to force remove the data and reinstall portainer over the gui.

Will i then loose all my containers and stacks?

I would like to keep them if possible

I think not, you are only deleting Portainer which is a container like any other.

But if you created stacks via Portainer, then I don't know what will happen.

If you did created stacks on Portainer, it's time to move to openmediavault-compose plugin.

You should make a backup of the folder, just in case:

sudo cp -a  /var/lib/docker/volumes/portainer_data /<Path to Somewhere>/portainer_data-backup

• I think not, you are only deleting Portainer which is a container like any other.

But if you created stacks via Portainer, then I don't know what will happen.

If you did created stacks on Portainer, it's time to move to openmediavault-compose plugin.

You should make a backup of the folder, just in case:

Oh wow i didn't know that plugin before. This will be much easier if portainer has problems to keep the compose suff from stacks in OMV.

Is there any backdraw on that plugin or does it work just like portainer?

I have copied my portainer_data folder as a backup but now portainer won't start. After the installation it says it is created but not started.

When i try to manually start the container it says portainer could not create the portainer_data folder

• Offizieller Beitrag

That would be the only disadvantage... you cannot set the data volume for portainer if you use the plugin (or at least you couldn't when I tried it.. I usually just install via docker-compose for this reason.

That said, as long as your containers folder never gets nuked, it wouldn't be an issue.. as that is where portainer (the plugin) stores it's data. So I guess it's all about how your set up is.

• Is there any backdraw on that plugin or does it work just like portainer?

You can install it and you'll have some functions available (most are from docker)

The plugin isn't the same as Portainer.

But yes, it will simplify the creating of container/stacks and keep them registered on OMV dB and also keeping the YMLs saved on a folder.

I have copied my portainer_data folder as a backup but now portainer won't start. After the installation it says it is created but not started.

When i try to manually start the container it says portainer could not create the portainer_data folder

Without outputs, it's difficult to keep up.

What did you do in a step-by-step?

On GUI: you clicked "remove" and after " remove data"?

You checked that the ls -al command still showed portainer_data in there?

You made a copy of the folder to somewhere else?

Sorry but this info is needed to know what is going on.

• That would be the only disadvantage... you cannot set the data volume for portainer if you use the plugin (or at least you couldn't when I tried it.. I usually just install via docker-compose for this reason.

That said, as long as your containers folder never gets nuked, it wouldn't be an issue.. as that is where portainer (the plugin) stores it's data. So I guess it's all about how your set up is.

Thanks a lot for the explanation :)

The only thing is portainer won't start anymore. Doesn't matter if i reinstall it, the container is just created and manual start fails because it can not create the folder. But the boot drive should not have any permission issues, so what is going on

• you cannot set the data volume for portainer if you use the plugin (or at least you couldn't when I tried it.. I usually just install via docker-compose for this reason.

Portainer has nothing attached to compose plugin.

Portainer comes from omv-extras and that is why it always create the data folder under the docker root.

If you use a YML on compose plugin, you can set the volume for it but this gives headaches:

If you run Portainer via docker-compose and, by error, click install on Extras, it will clash.

Either by having an instance of Portainer already running, or by installing it on another folder and then you'll have 2x Portainers running.

Will test the above to see what happens, ;)

• What did you do in a step-by-step?

On GUI: you clicked "remove" and after " remove data"?

You checked that the ls -al command still showed portainer_data in there?

You made a copy of the folder to somewhere else?

Sorry,

1. i did remove portainer

2. i made a copy of the portainer_data folder at another location

3. i tried to delete the portainer_data with the gui "remove data"

4. manually by hand deltet the remainings of the portainer_data folder

checked -> the folder was successfully deleted

5. reinstall portainer over gui

• Offizieller Beitrag

Correct that's what I'm saying.. that is the only disadvantage of the plugin. You can't set a data directory. Now if you're backing up your containers folder as well (I do)... then this probably isn't an issue for you and using the plugin is no big deal.

Personally, I just like being able to set my data folder, so I use docker-compose to install portainer.

Either one works just fine, so long as you know the process you're using.

• docker ps -a

Code
    root@meinnas:~# docker ps -a
    CONTAINER ID   IMAGE                                           COMMAND                  CREATED          STATUS                      PORTS                                                                                            NAMES
    7176964d2ab1   portainer/portainer-ce                          "/portainer"             17 minutes ago   Created                     0.0.0.0:8000->8000/tcp, :::8000->8000/tcp, 0.0.0.0:9000->9000/tcp, :::9000->9000/tcp, 9443/tcp   portainer
    2df359cfd18e   ghcr.io/benphelps/homepage:latest               "docker-entrypoint.s…"   6 weeks ago      Exited (0) 6 weeks ago                                                                                                       homepage
    ffa32266cfb9   e251b53f1bb7                                    "/bin/sh -c 'apt-get…"   6 weeks ago      Exited (100) 6 weeks ago                                                                                                     keen_bell
    33c23a74804d   gitea/gitea:latest                              "/usr/bin/entrypoint…"   6 weeks ago      Up 5 minutes                0.0.0.0:2234->22/tcp, :::2234->22/tcp, 0.0.0.0:3010->3000/tcp, :::3010->3000/tcp                 gitea
    e90dfc309588   yobasystems/alpine-mariadb:latest               "/scripts/run.sh"        6 weeks ago      Up 5 minutes                3306/tcp
    Code
    root@meinnas:~# docker start portainer
    Error response from daemon: error evaluating symlinks from mount source "/var/lib/docker/volumes/portainer_data/_data": lstat /var/lib/docker/volumes/portainer_data/_data: no such file or directory
    Error: failed to start containers: portainer
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks a lot for the explanation :)

The only thing is portainer won't start anymore. Doesn't matter if i reinstall it, the container is just created and manual start fails because it can not create the folder. But the boot drive should not have any permission issues, so what is going on

I should say the reason to me that data folder is important... is I have like 23 stacks setup in portainer... so as long as I can point back to that data folder.. when I redeploy portainer.... it will pick up all those stacks and I can edit them as if nothing happened.

If I DON'T have that data folder mapped because I used the plugin... then I'll end up with all of my stacks having "limited" access and I'd basically have to delete and redeploy each one, which is a huge pain (been there)

• Please, outputs of:

sudo ls -al /var/lib/docker/volumes/

sudo ls -al /var/lib/docker/volumes/portainer_data

And what command you used to make the copy of the folder?

• Personally, I just like being able to set my data folder, so I use docker-compose to install portainer.

Either one works just fine, so long as you know the process you're using.

Yes, but from what I'm seeing from Copaxy , I'm thinking he had Portainer running, NOT by OMV-Extras but maybe by docker-compose.

And all the instructions I'm giving are based on a Portainer installation via Extras.

• Please, outputs of:

sudo ls -al /var/lib/docker/volumes/

sudo ls -al /var/lib/docker/volumes/portainer_data

And what command you used to make the copy of the folder?

Code
    root@meinnas:~# sudo ls -al /var/lib/docker/volumes/portainer_data
    ls: cannot access '/var/lib/docker/volumes/portainer_data': No such file or directory

The command i used to make a copy was:

Code
    sudo cp -a  /var/lib/docker/volumes/portainer_data /var/lib/config/portainer_data-backup

Note: The config folder is just the folder i keep other containers container data -> The name of config is maybe a bit missleading

• Yes, but from what I'm seeing from Copaxy , I'm thinking he had Portainer running, NOT by OMV-Extras but maybe by docker-compose.

And all the instructions I'm giving are based on a Portainer installation via Extras.

I only used the extras tool, i didn't manually create a portainer container

• Code
    root@meinnas:~# sudo ls -al /var/lib/docker/volumes/

Code
    root@meinnas:~# sudo ls -al /var/lib/docker/volumes/portainer_data
    ls: cannot access '/var/lib/docker/volumes/portainer_data': No such file or directory

The command i used to make a copy was:

Code
    sudo cp -a  /var/lib/docker/volumes/portainer_data /var/lib/config/portainer_data-backup

Note: The config folder is just the folder i keep other containers container data -> The name of config is maybe a bit missleading

There's no Portainer on the docker volumes.

Output of

sudo docker ps -a

If there's no Portainer container running:

On the GUI, goto System->OMV Extras-> Portainer and click Install.

Post the output here.

• I tried to reinstall portainer over the gui in extras.

• The output of

sudo docker ps -a

It completely fails to install

• d0a5db262e1c portainer/portainer-ce "/portainer" About a minute ago Created 0.0.0.0:8000->8000/tcp, :::8000->8000/tcp, 0.0.0.0:9000->9000/tcp, :::9000->9000/tcp, 9443/tcp portainer

As you can see here, you have a running portainer.

sudo docker stop portainer

sudo docker rm portainer

sudo docker ps -a | grep -i portainer

Check the GUI:

Click Install

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!