MergerFS pool disappears for no reason

• Offizieller Beitrag

Interesting, so if i understand it correctly, if i use the omv compose plugin it saves the data in the docker root folder? Or am i able to save the config data somewhere else like when i use compose in portainer and i set the config and container files to be in whatever directory i choose.

For example i create a docker compose for jellyfin and i put the path for the config at my prefered place but the rest of the container files are in the docker root folder.

What is the difference when i use the compose plugin?

The first part, yes that's correct.

The 2nd part...

The docker-compose plugin.. it basically lets you run docker-compose from the OMV webUI.. but in additiona to that, it saves your compose files in a specified folder.

• Maybe i find a way around this someday or never.

What about starting the mergerfs pool manually once the system is booted up? That's what I do, too instead of relying on the mergerfs plugin that has caused several reboots on start because it could not find a valid filesystem (hdd are encrypted at this time).

For me it was the only way to get my system running (and booting) solidly. With the minor flaw that I have to start the decryption process and the mergerfs pool manually. As I am maybe starting the NAS 2 times a month it has become a routinely non-issue.

• The docker-compose plugin.. it basically lets you run docker-compose from the OMV webUI.. but in additiona to that, it saves your compose files in a specified folder.

Ah so it is like docker-compose on portainer but with a additional save in another folder

interesting, i have to try that

• Offizieller Beitrag

We need some docker lessons here about what data is stored where and what data is important.

if i use the omv compose plugin it saves the data in the docker root folder?

NO. It stores docker images, docker containers, and docker volumes in the docker root folder. Images and containers files are easily replaceable and not important. docker volumes make path management easy but use the root folder (not ideal). If you specify a full path for your volumes, the data, which is the ONLY important thing, is stored exactly where you tell it to.

The plugin also stores the compose files in the database and a sharedfolder. With portainer, if your portainer container is not working right, it is very difficult to access your compose/stack files.

Ah so it is like docker-compose on portainer but with a additional save in another folder

NO. The compose plugin does NOT use portainer at all. It literally runs the docker-compose binary from the host OS against compose files on the host OS. It is not running in an additional container like portainer. It is much simpler. When you use it, you pick where the docker root folder is by the path in omv-extras. You pick where the compose files are by choosing a shared folder. You choose where the important volume data is by specifying a full path for each volume in your compose file.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

How to create macvlan network via plugin

The compose plugin? It doesn't create any network. Your compose file should. First example I found - https://github.com/sarunas-zil…master/docker-compose.yml

start/stop/recreate container?

There is an up button in the Files tab to start all containers in the compose and a down button to stop all containers. If you starting/stopping/recreating individual containers in a multi container compose file, you are doing it wrong. If you just want to update the images, there is a pull button to pull the newest images and then the up button will restart the containers in the compose file that have a newer image.

• The compose plugin? It doesn't create any network. Your compose file should. First example I found - https://github.com/sarunas-zil…master/docker-compose.yml

There is an up button in the Files tab to start all containers in the compose and a down button to stop all containers. If you starting/stopping/recreating individual containers in a multi container compose file, you are doing it wrong. If you just want to update the images, there is a pull button to pull the newest images and then the up button will restart the containers in the compose file that have a newer image.

Interesting, thank you, I have to try, but Portainer is more familiar to me. For example I open link Docs from Compose plugin and see https://wiki.omv-extras.org/do…omv6:omv6_plugins:compose

So, plugin without documentation, didn`t find manual or guide.

• Offizieller Beitrag

but Portainer is more familiar to me

If you use stacks in portainer, then the compose plugin is about the same.

plugin without documentation, didn`t find manual or guide.

Yep, docs haven't been written yet. If you have ever used docker-compose, it is pretty much self explanatory though.

• Does someone know where the mergerfs plugin in OMV stores its configuration data?

Reason being is, that I want to check a behavior. I previously when my server was messed up with snapraid and mergerfs plugin I mentioned in this and previous topics, created a pool named for example PoolA. Then when I removed the snapraid configuration and just used mergerfs, until I build a new NAS, I named the new pool PoolB. But in between, I also uninstalled and reinstalled the mergerfs plugin. Sometimes I noticed when I restart OMV that the pool is not mounted and of course I manually mount it then. But sometimes it won't mount and throws errors. When I look into the "/srv/mergerfs/" there should be only PoolB but there still is PoolA from the previous config. Even tough I deleted it, and it is fine for a while, but sometimes mergerfs still shows the old PoolA folder and I have to delete it. Maybe this is also contributing to some drive missing issues.

Any ideas on how I can check, if mergerfs still has some old settings stored somewhere and I then how can remove them?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Does someone know where the mergerfs plugin in OMV stores its configuration data?

in the mergerfs section of the omv database.

Any ideas on how I can check, if mergerfs still has some old settings stored somewhere and I then how can remove them?

sudo omv-showkey mergerfs But if there was "leftover" settings, then the pool would show up in the plugin. The plugin shows everything in the database not just things mounted.

I would highly recommend to stop uninstalling the plugin to "fix" things. I don't ever test this and don't want to.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• sudo omv-showkey mergerfs But if there was "leftover" settings, then the pool would show up in the plugin. The plugin shows everything in the database not just things mounted.

I would highly recommend to stop uninstalling the plugin to "fix" things. I don't ever test this and don't want to.

Ah okey. Interestingly as you said only the PoolB is configured.

I want to mention that i only ever reinstalled mergerfs after a fresh new OMV installaton. The only exception was one time by accident when reconfiguring my NAS from snapraid mergerfs combi to just mergerfs. That's when I created PoolB because I had to create a new pool.

Code
    sudo omv-showkey mergerfs

only showed me the new PoolB. Is there any other way to check how mergerfs still sometimes creates the old pool?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there any other way to check how mergerfs still sometimes creates the old pool?

you could have a leftover entry in the mntent section of the database or less likely, a leftover mount file in /etc/systemd/system/. If you are only uninstalling the plugin for fresh installs, neither of these should be a problem.

• you could have a leftover entry in the mntent section of the database or less likely, a leftover mount file in /etc/systemd/system/. If you are only uninstalling the plugin for fresh installs, neither of these should be a problem.

Maybe yeah. I will try that tomorrow and check if there is any leftover data, because there has to be a reason if PoolA still sometimes appears.

• you could have a leftover entry in the mntent section of the database or less likely, a leftover mount file in /etc/systemd/system/. If you are only uninstalling the plugin for fresh installs, neither of these should be a problem.

mhm.. I looked a both locations but there was nothing I could find. No leftover entry, and i also only found my PoolB entry in the sytemd location you mentioned.

Is there a possibility an old parity drive could mix up OMV?

Because when I removed the snapraid configuration I left the old parity drive not mounted bit still connected to the system. I didn't had the time to clean it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there a possibility an old parity drive could mix up OMV?

No. A parity drive from snapraid is just a normal filesystem with a parity file on it.

• No. A parity drive from snapraid is just a normal filesystem with a parity file on it.

Okay that is good, so one possibility less

I think then I can only watch over that behaviour. If it occurs the next time after boot, what logs or data should I check or save to analyse the reason behind it? I guess omv syslog anything else or special?

• Offizieller Beitrag

If it occurs

What is it? An extra pool? The pool doesn't mount?

• Offizieller Beitrag

that the old PoolA still sometimes shows up after boot and then PoolB is not mounting of course.

How do you know poola "shows" up?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!