(SOLVED) KVM Install issues on OMV6

• I have send last night and this morning trying to install the KVM pluggin on my omv sever
    Dell 7010
    Intel i5 3570

6GB

SSD system drive 64GB
    Attached usb storage drives
    Wired Connection

I can install updates as well as other plugins however the kvm pluggin will always fail.
    I did all the suggestions except reinstall OMV6 which if its one pluggin what can be the hold up
    Would like to test it before deploying it on a bigger server.
    Thanks in advance and anything you need let me know

Ed

Bilder

OMV Version: 6.9.12-3 (Shaitan) Kernel: Linux 6.1.0-0.deb11.13-amd64 Proxmox VM

Services: MiniDLNA | File Server (streaming and file transfers that's it.)
    System: HP Pavillion 595 | I7-8700 ( 2 vCores) | 2.1 GB Ram | 32GB VM Sys Drv | 5TB USB Media Drive | Jan 24'

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ED-209 ()

• Maybe the guide I followed was wrong or I missed steps?
    Maybe I will just fresh install OMV6
    is there a better guide for installing KVM to follow? I do not like video.

System: HP Pavillion 595 | I7-8700 ( 2 vCores) | 2.1 GB Ram | 32GB VM Sys Drv | 5TB USB Media Drive | Jan 24'

• Offizieller Beitrag

And this guide will tell you how to set up a VM

• Zitat

It is really as easy as

1. install OMV
    2. install OMV-extras from CLI
    3. install KVM plugin from the GUI of OMV

That has been completed however when installing ONLY the KVM plugin I get an error (attached in OP) everything else works and has been up and usable for months.

Zitat

And this guide will tell you how to set up a VM

I am staring at that guide (have been for awhile now) cannot progress without the plugin.

• Also reading but getting different information. Do I have to install Debian and then OMV OR can I just use my existing standalone OMV6 install?

It is saying I do not have systemd installed?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Two ways to install OMV

1. using the ISO
    2. install Debian first (without desktop environment) and then OMV on top

It is saying I do not have systemd installed?

Not possible. OMV will not install w/o systemd. And Debian needs systemd.

OR can I just use my existing standalone OMV6 install?

That confuses me.

• Meaning I have OMV6 installed on my machine currently OMV is not running in a VM as suggested online, might be for OMV5.
    Well this is odd then. I have no idea why it will not install that only plugin.

Code
    systemd:
      Installed: 251.3-1~bpo11+1
      Candidate: 251.3-1~bpo11+1
      Version table:
     *** 251.3-1~bpo11+1 100
            100 http://httpredir.debian.org/debian bullseye-backports/main amd64 Packages
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
         247.3-7+deb11u1 500
            500 http://ftp.ca.debian.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 Packages

• dpkg -C results return nothing

• OMV Version: 6.9.12-3 (Shaitan) Kernel: Linux 6.1.0-0.deb11.13-amd64 Proxmox VM

• This is where I am scratching my head.

I have tried to update, fix, repair, everything in apt, its a very odd issue.
    Apt shows nothing is missing, broken, needs updating?
    Maybe the system is just broke and I will have to reinstall.
    I have alpine installed through docker and it works (installed today)
    At this point it has to be a botched install.
    Have another beefier system to deploy wanted to wait until the new mini pc was in before

switchn the mac mini 2012 (i7 w 16g )into the new server.

• OMV Version: 6.9.12-3 (Shaitan) Kernel: Linux 6.1.0-0.deb11.13-amd64 Proxmox VM

• May have a teeny hardware issue. This might be effecting the install, how I do not know. Went to install more ram as needed it for VMs and two ram slots on the mobo are dead. This is an old machine. Have a total of 8GB on the working slots. I tried the other slots with other ram no go would not even post unless using the current two slots. When hardware goes it can do all kinds of weird things, this might not allow the installation of this pluggin I dont know. I find it odd it is trying to install over something that is there and it cannot see it? I spent a day at this so Im just going to chop it up to bad hardware.

• Virtualization is on, it was one of the first things checked when trying to install KVM before posting.
    Thinking it is a faulty motherboard which on a 10 year old machine and how much work

it processed I am surprised it held up this long. It works fine for Storage and Streaming but once
    started getting into docker and portainer, that is when the issues started. It happens, we just

waste a few days have to deploy another box once it is delivered. It is a step down from this (although a i5 3rd gen is getting up there)
    for the basic usage it gets do not a power house. Regardless I want to say thanks to you all for helping!

Edit- Went and removed the mobo, ram and CPU. When doing so there was a screw behind the ram slots on the bottom (great)
    Once everything was reseated and set back in we now have all the ram slots. (always the simple things however, kvm still will not install. Although after doing so I get a new error when installing KVM. Backing up and reinstalling, headache over CLOSED!!

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von ED-209 () aus folgendem Grund: added code Solution, faulty install - reinstall

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!