Possible to have a static IP when using transmissionVPN?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is it possible to have a staticip when using transmissionVPN? How would I do this?

That would be up to your VPN provider I'm pretty sure. I'm gonna guess, probably not. Because if your IP is static, then that means your VPN provider would be able to trace what account the IP was linked to in the event of a subpoena, etc. (and they all claim they can't do this). If they aren't keeping records of what accounts are attached to what IP's, and you login and get some random IP.. then they'd honestly not be able to answer any questions about the connection

• That would be up to your VPN provider I'm pretty sure. I'm gonna guess, probably not. Because if your IP is static, then that means your VPN provider would be able to trace what account the IP was linked to in the event of a subpoena, etc. (and they all claim they can't do this). If they aren't keeping records of what accounts are attached to what IP's, and you login and get some random IP.. then they'd honestly not be able to answer any questions about the connection

I custom build (old PC with EVGA nForce 750i SLI motherboard and Intel Q9300 CPU) Free BSD pfSense+ OS based router and have assigned static ip to all of my hardwired and all WiFi (phones, tablets and printers) devices on my intranet. I use NordVPN and I have no issue with provider in that regards.. To minimize security risk I always connect to Switzerland NordVPN servers due to the fact that Swiss have extremely strong and strict law regarding privacy.

Linux Mint (Edge) EndeavourOS Arch Linux

OMV7 NAS, bond0 LACP, Fractal Design Define R5 Case, Kodi "Omega", FreeBSD pfSense Plus firewall/router

• Offizieller Beitrag

I custom build (old PC with EVGA nForce 750i SLI motherboard and Intel Q9300 CPU) Free BSD pfSense+ OS based router and have assigned static ip to all of my hardwired and all WiFi (phones, tablets and printers) devices on my intranet. I use NordVPN and I have no issue with provider in that regards.. To minimize security risk I always connect to Switzerland NordVPN servers due to the fact that Swiss have extremely strong and strict law regarding privacy.

and that's fine.. but if you read most VPN's, one of the things they love to tout, is they don't keep connection records. That was the real point of my statement. If your IP is static, then they have records... so either they are lying or you're IP is dynamic. Personally with PIA, I watch my IP's and they change all the time.

• If they want to keep records, they will have records.

Everytime you connect and authenticate with user/password credentials, they can record the IP you connected from if they choose to do so. Whether the IP is static or dynamic is irrelevant,

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• and that's fine.. but if you read most VPN's, one of the things they love to tout, is they don't keep connection records. That was the real point of my statement. If your IP is static, then they have records... so either they are lying or you're IP is dynamic. Personally with PIA, I watch my IP's and they change all the time.

Yes, NordVPN does have my ISP public IP. I cannot change that. But I am connecting to Switzerland NordVPN servers and my IP is located, let say in Zurich. By the fact tat my IP is in Switzerland I am protected by their laws which prohibit releasing user info to anyone. Switzerland is, I believe, the only country that does that. So NordVPN could provide FBI or other gov. agency my IP in Switzerland but, once again, Swiss will not comply. I might be wrong, but that is how I understand this.

OMV7 NAS, bond0 LACP, Fractal Design Define R5 Case, Kodi "Omega", FreeBSD pfSense Plus firewall/router

• Offizieller Beitrag

If they want to keep records, they will have records.

Everytime you connect and authenticate with user/password credentials, they can record the IP you connected from if they choose to do so. Whether the IP is static or dynamic is irrelevant,

And I completely agree with that but most of them claim they don't do this

• I understand what you're saying but you're not addressing his question (as I understand it) He wants the IP address that Nord gives him to be static.

I believe NordVPN gives me static IP on their server. It is in Switzerland.

EDIT:

I stand corrected. I just checked and NordVPN gives me different IP to their Swiss servers every time I connect. I do not see a reason why VPN provider use static IP for their users. That would be a logistic and maintenance a nightmare. I was referring to my intranet where I stick to static IP and very limited bracket of allowed dynamic IP`s.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von andrzejls ()

• And I completely agree with that but most of them claim they don't do this

I am aware of these claims.

So what happens if they do this anyway and rat a user out?

That user can say the VPN/ISP provider made a false claim in their advertising. But this will never work as a defense to an illegal act committed when using the service.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

EDIT:

I stand corrected. I just checked and NordVPN gives me different IP to their Swiss servers every time I connect. I do not see a reason why VPN provider use static IP for their users. That would be a logistic and maintenance a nightmare. I was referring to my intranet where I stick to static IP and very limited bracket of allowed dynamic IP`s.

Now you're getting to what his actual question was. He's not asking about his network IP or even his service provider's IP.. He's asking about the IP his VPN provider gives him. If I recall from his other posts, he uses PIA.. which I've used for years. My experience with PIA is much like yours... I can disconnect from a server, and connect right back to it 20sec later, and it will issue me a new IP

• check your ip on vpn

connect to another server. check ip

connect to Switzerland again, and check IP

See if any match

No, they do not. I just edited my previous comment to correct myself. I do not get same IP when reconnecting. When one think about it, it would not make any sense for VPN provider to issue static IP`s to their users. That would be a total nightmare.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am aware of these claims.

So what happens if they do this anyway and rat a user out?

That user can say the VPN/ISP provider made a false claim in their advertising. But this will never work as a defense to an illegal act committed when using the service.

Well, that's the big question.. I'm not suggesting you could use this as a defense against criminal charges... just saying it would likely kill their business as they sell themselves as not keeping logs, etc.

About.. oh maybe 7-8yrs ago? A disgruntled PIA employee sent an email to all their subscribers saying that they had been given subpoena's and surrendered all user, account IP's, logs, etc. This of course goes against everything PIA sells itself as, they say they don't keep connection logs, etc.

About 3hrs later, another email was sent, basically explaining the issue and this was not true.

I found it pretty funny, but I'm sure PIA lost at least a few customers in that short window.

• These concerns were one of my decision to go with NordVPN and option to connect to Swiss servers. NordVPN could "rat" me out and tell Fed`s I was connected to IP in Switzerland, but by the Swiss Privacy Law would prevent them to disclose my info nor what I was doing because my IP is in Switzerland. That is, in my opinion, one additional level of security. Can we be 100% secure, no unless you use Talls linux and even that route is no guarantee.

• Offizieller Beitrag

These concerns were one of my decision to go with NordVPN and option to connect to Swiss servers. NordVPN could "rat" me out and tell Fed`s I was connected to IP in Switzerland, but by the Swiss Privacy Law would prevent them to disclose my info nor what I was doing because my IP is in Switzerland. That is, in my opinion, one additional level of security. Can we be 100% secure, no unless you use Talls linux and even that route is no guarantee.

There's ALWAYS a trail... always. It's just sometime the time, resources and cooperation is not available to follow it.

• Well, all I can vouch for is my own personal use case where I have been torrenting 24/7 for more than seven years using a few RSS feeds through a VPN connection. The only thing I have ever heard from the VPN provider is the automated billing email I get every year with the renewal invoice for $23.48USD per year, which is miniscule in comparison to the bills for the bandwidth and frequent hard drive purchases. LOL.

--

• There's ALWAYS a trail... always. It's just sometime the time, resources and cooperation is not available to follow it.

That is SO true.

• Well, all I can vouch for is my own personal use case where I have been torrenting 24/7 for more than seven years using a few RSS feeds through a VPN connection. The only thing I have ever heard from the VPN provider is the automated billing email I get every year with the renewal invoice for $23.48USD per year, which is miniscule in comparison to the bills for the bandwidth and frequent hard drive purchases. LOL.

Could not agree more.

• There's ALWAYS a trail... always. It's just sometime the time, resources and cooperation is not available to follow it.

Ask Ross Ulbricht about this.

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!