Different Linux types, Pros and Cons

• Hi, i would be interested in your views on strengths of Debian v Arch v any other distro. I'm aware of Debian v Ubuntu, and that is where my main use is, but any strong points/lacking of others? I don't mean self rolled versions unless they have a compelling feature, but the main branch, including hardware support, resource consumption, suitability for particular scenarios etc.

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

Debian/Ubuntu are all about stability. Arch is all about bleeding edge. Arch will have more features and possibly more hardware support. Debian/Ubuntu are only a few versions behind in the kernel though.

Resource consumption has more to do with the desktop you select. You can install lxde on many distros which will be lower consumption than Gnome or KDE.

Servers usually run a very stable release because they have limited services. Depends on what you do with a desktop to determine whether rolling or stable distro works for you. I run Xubuntu 22.04 on the desktop and Debian 11/Ubuntu 22.04 on servers.

If you are using Ubuntu for the desktop and it works, I don't see any reason to switch.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks ryecoarron, but I don't use Linux desktop unless I need to, except for a test Lubuntu setup on Proxmox VE. I noticed that Debian server there uses only slightly more than 100 megs ram on it's own, but Alpine Linux should be even slimmer from what I hear. Apparently, Alpine will be the docker system of choice. Have you any experience of that one?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I noticed that Debian server there uses only slightly more than 100 megs ram on it's own, but Alpine Linux should be even slimmer from what I hear. Apparently, Alpine will be the docker system of choice. Have you any experience of that one?

Alpine (and photon) are very small. It is a popular image to base docker images on. Ubuntu is used a lot as well. Disk space is so cheap that I would not use an OS just because it was very small. Alpine's hardware support is probably not as good since it usually used in containers (not kernel) or very specialized tiny devices. I have used most distros at some point.

• I have Alpine on proxmox, and waiting for some developments to see how it goes as a base OS.

Not OS size in particular, but resource use. I'm simply after the most from the least, and I see frugality and efficiency as a high priority.

Hmmm, disk space is cheap if one can afford it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not OS size in particular, but resource use. I'm simply after the most from the least, and I see frugality and efficiency as a high priority.

That's all well and fine, but if you don't know how to use it, it's kinda pointless.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Who said I don't know how to use it?

Wasn't suggesting you didn't (but honestly, the question to me came off sort of newbish). Just basically saying there's a reason those other distros (Debian, Ubuntu, even Arch) are far more mainstream than say Alpine.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You seem to be equating minor disk space usage with efficiency and resource use. Things are not going to always work like that.

disk space is cheap if one can afford it.

You can can't barely buy something smaller than 8GB nowadays. So, if you can afford any storage at all, 100mb vs 400mb will not make a difference unless you are dealing with an embedded device.

• Zitat

You seem to be equating minor disk space usage with efficiency and resource use

No, I'm not actually.

Zitat

sort of newbish

I'll admit I'm no Linux whizz, but because I ask for in depth input on distros I don't normally use, I'm a newb? I see.

Zitat

Just basically saying there's a reason those other distros (Debian, Ubuntu, even Arch) are far more mainstream than say Alpine.

I'm not specifically after mainstream, but Isn't that why I asked the question in the first place? Experimentation, etc....

You are both completely off course from the question I originally asked. Forget it guys, I shall not ask any more.

• Offizieller Beitrag

No, I'm not actually.

That is the only thing you have pointed out then. How else are you saying alpine is more efficient and uses less resources? I fail to use see how alpine is any better in term of things other than space. Space usage is a primary reason why it is used in containers though. If you already know the answers, why ask? I will go spend my time on OMV things...

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!