smb server not showing when scanning

• When using windows and in most situations the smb server shows properly but in one android app the smb server will not show up. The app list all other smb servers regardless of smb version in my network but not the one in openmediavault.

Also noticed that when using the NetScanTools in Windows the NetBIOS Name is empty.

• Enabling the NetBIOS fixed the problem. Is there a reason why is not enabled by default? Every other device with SMB server have it enabled by default.

• votdev

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • votdev

Hat das Label OMV 6.x hinzugefügt.
  • Not only all other NAS are using NetBIOS but even Windows is using NetBIOS by default when sharing. WSD + NetBIOS is the way to go according to Windows. Also NetBIOS devices get discovered way faster than WSD only devices.

It should be enabled by default because many apps rely on it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not only all other NAS are using NetBIOS but even Windows is using NetBIOS by default when sharing. WSD + NetBIOS is the way to go according to Windows. Also NetBIOS devices get discovered way faster than WSD only devices.

It should be enabled by default because many apps rely on it.

This is great, other users vote for disabling it by default because it is not necessary anymore. What to do now?

• It does not matter what I or other user say/want. It matters what other NAS devices are doing. QNAP have it enabled by default.

What I would do is enabled by default because Windows is doing it and add it as an option in the web admin to easily disable it if it is important for some users to have it disabled. Probably those with arm based devices want the system to be as light as possible.

• Hahaha!

I guess you found the solution: when you don't know what to do, do the opposite of Lemming mode no matter how wrong it is.

Add a webGUI option for it and leave it disabled. At least you can't be called a Lemming.

Now I understand why openmediavault have so many things done in the "NON Lemming" way.

• How exactly do I enable NetBIOS, please? I tried entering the following commands:

Code
    omv-env set -- OMV_SAMBA_NMBD_ENABLE "yes"
    monit restart omv-engined
    omv-salt stage run prepare
    omv-salt stage run deploy

But the last command reports an error:

Code
                  ----------
                            ID: start_samba_service_nmbd
                      Function: service.running
                          Name: nmbd
                        Result: False
                       Comment: Failed to start nmbd.service: Unit nmbd.service is masked.
                       Started: 15:58:34.334926
                      Duration: 172.365 ms
                       Changes:   
  • I can access my SMB shares in Win10, Linux and iOS without NetBIOS.

Accessing is done by the apps not by the OS. While most apps will work without the need of NetBIOS, some will require NetBIOS.

It is impossible to test all the apps to know if the NetBIOS is needed or not.

Just keep in mind that some app developers build apps in the "NON Lemming" way and require NetBIOS to be enabled by the server.

Enabling NetBIOS in Openmediavault is not a fast and easy procedure because it require allot of investigation since you don't even know why the share is not showing and what NetBIOS is.

• Examples please.

Things like:

- Save and then Apply (I wonder if everybody else was doing this then you will have done only Save or you have done Save - Apply - Submit?)

- Checkbox that enable the confirm button and all of these happens in a confirm dialog.

It depends to whom you want the users of openmediavault to be. Do you want openmediavault to be used only by those with allot of linux knowledge or do you want it to be straightforward and easy.

If you don't care about those with no linux knowledge and no desire to learn then it is fine like it is. But if you do, then you have to consider usability allot and unfortunately doing thing in the Lemming way.

- Inform the user why a partition can't be un-mounted (where exactly is referenced)

- Let user know if an widget or something is preventing HDDs from spinning down. In my case I have 16 HDDs non RAID and I want them to spin down along with 8 PWM fans to lower their speed to conserve energy (about 200W).

The dashboard needs redone

-The widgets scroll should be removed

-The text inside widgets should be all visible (I recommend to split the dashboard in two and put on top fixed relevant text and on bottom space for optional widgets)

-Some of the monitoring widgets should be moved in a separate page (In some cases some monitoring is nonrelevant but you want to be able to check it)

• Example on how to improve readability to the network interface widget:

- Show only relevant information: device name, ipv4 and link status/speed. All other information is not needed for monitoring eventually this can be visible in a small translucent box that shows when doing mouse over or click/touch on the field.

- Have an option to disable non-physical interfaces from showing. I have to scroll down to find that my system have indeed a loopback interface and docker added some interfaces

- The widget title is too big and should be separated by content; do something like very light greyed background on top of widget

- It will be nice to have a way to pause the widget to do its refresh (pause and options icons on top right corner of widget)

- Content should easily fit inside and without scroll. There should be only one scroll per page.

If I see any positive feedback on these recommendations I'll continue with more

• Offizieller Beitrag

Things like:

- Save and then Apply (I wonder if everybody else was doing this then you will have done only Save or you have done Save - Apply - Submit?)

There is a reason to go this way: Automatically deploying the configuration on every change automatically will take too much time. This design decision has been done to lower the frustration of the user when it has to wait for many seconds to continue his action. The better solution here was to collect all changes until the user say, OK, now i want to apply my changes.

I have seen those behaviour in various enterprise software (e.g. network related systems).

Checkbox that enable the confirm button and all of these happens in a confirm dialog.

I know about systems where the user is requested to type some text for confirmation. So this is not an unusual feature. It will allow the user to rethink his action. The number of these dialogs has been reduced already to the minimum and most important actions in the UI.

Inform the user why a partition can't be un-mounted (where exactly is referenced)

This relates to everything in OMV. If it is not implemented, then it has a reason. In thsi case, the database simply does not provide the necessary information to display the information in a human understandable way.

Let user know if an widget or something is preventing HDDs from spinning down. In my case I have 16 HDDs non RAID and I want them to spin down along with 8 PWM fans to lower their speed to conserve energy (about 200W).

How shall OMV know that? Someone has to test this and track those information somewhere. Step forward to do that. It makes sense to write that down in the wiki. I'm looking forward for contributions.

The dashboard needs redone

-The widgets scroll should be removed

-The text inside widgets should be all visible (I recommend to split the dashboard in two and put on top fixed relevant text and on bottom space for optional widgets)

The widgets don't know what content is displayed, they are generic. The max height is necessary, otherwise it may happen that a widget has a height of 2000px or more which also does not make sense to display without scrolling within the widget itself. Note that the browser controls how the widgets are rendered. I tested many dashboard frameworks, but all are bullshit and do not work. The current implementation is the best solution between having none and the disadvantages of the dashboard framework out there.

-Some of the monitoring widgets should be moved in a separate page (In some cases some monitoring is nonrelevant but you want to be able to check it)

Does not make sense to me.

Show only relevant information: device name, ipv4 and link status/speed. All other information is not needed for monitoring eventually this can be visible in a small translucent box that shows when doing mouse over or click/touch on the field.

It seems you are using the wrong widget. There is a widget that is using a grid instead of the datatable.

Have an option to disable non-physical interfaces from showing. I have to scroll down to find that my system have indeed a loopback interface and docker added some interfaces

Keep in mind that the widgets are configured in a declarativ way. This is not possible or you have to program a new widget that is filtering those interfaces.

This is an example:

As you can see in the widget configuration, this network widget already filters loopback. If that does not fit your needs, then maybe this is something you can contribute?

The widget title is too big and should be separated by content; do something like very light greyed background on top of widget

I'll check that out how it fits into the design.

It will be nice to have a way to pause the widget to do its refresh (pause and options icons on top right corner of widget)

Let me check if that is possible somehow.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ok, i did some tests and it came out as expected that it looks modest. It also does not have any benefit to shrink the font size of the title because in the same way the margin of the header section has to be increased to have a defined distance between it and the content section.

As previous told, when something is implemented as it is, then there IS a strong reason why i did it that way.

Reducing the font size of the widget title has been done, see https://github.com/openmediava…7a678ce9a052eed9676ab2ac4.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!