KVM plugin problem after update

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am able to get the plugin working (not extensive testing) with a combo of regular and backports packages versions hard-coded as dependencies in the plugin. I haven't tested from a clean install or an existing install. My test was from a system that had packages installed and uninstalled many times. So, this might be missing something. If someone wants to try this, be my guest. You will have to be careful installing updates until the Debian repos are fixed.

# Make sure backports are enabled

wget https://omv-extras.org/testing/openmediavault-kvm_6.1.23_all.deb

sudo dpkg -i openmediavault-kvm_6.1.23_all.deb

sudo apt-get -f install

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Tried but no luck

• Offizieller Beitrag

Tried but no luck

This will require a bit more effort than that. You will have to go through the list of packages it reported as not installed one by one and try to install that version.

The first one would be: sudo apt-get install ksmtuned=4.20150326

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• This will require a bit more effort than that. You will have to go through the list of packages it reported as not installed one by one and try to install that version.

The first one would be: sudo apt-get install ksmtuned=4.20150326

THANKS running :)

Now there is 2 updates

openmediavault-kvm 6.1.23

and

qemu-utils 1:7.1+dfsg-2~bpo11+2

Skall I update or wait ?

Thanks

• I followed ryecoaaron's process and was able to get openmediavault-kvm_6.1.23_all.deb to properly install. The plugin shows up under services with my VM on the list.

However, when I attempt to run my VM, I get:

• I ended up recreating the VM with the hard drive from the previous VM. The plugin randomly ate the old plugin, not a big deal to recreate.

• Offizieller Beitrag

However, when I attempt to run my VM, I get:

The bios you are trying to use is newer and from backports. In order to get things working, I had to use some packages from the regular repo. Using an older uefi (easiest to recreate the vm as you did) is the best thing to do.

The plugin randomly ate the old plugin,

I have no idea what this means.

• The bios you are trying to use is newer and from backports. In order to get things working, I had to use some packages from the regular repo. Using an older uefi (easiest to recreate the vm as you did) is the best thing to do.

I have no idea what this means.

Oops, typo. Mean to say the plugin ate my VM, as in it completely disappeared from the list.

• I run into same, did an update without hav a look into forum.

KVM is not showing in the gui and the VM'm are not running. Perhaps my problem is a litte different to handel.

Whats the last working possibility to try to get this to work again?

kvm 6.1.23 seems not to be installed at the update tab in the gui

• I edited the file shown in the screenshot. The content is visible. Unfortunately, a new problem has appeared. I use macvtap. Since I made the described change, the network card has been connecting up and down. I have not experienced any problems with the NAT solution, although it cannot be ruled out!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Mean to say the plugin ate my VM, as in it completely disappeared from the list.

Nope. The plugin will not do that unless you click the delete button. It shows all VMs reported by libvirt. It is possible not enough packages are installed to show the VMs but that seems unlikely.

This is how I solved the problem:

That is effectively what the plugin I am telling people to download is doing by forcing versions.

Whats the last working possibility to try to get this to work again?

You need to install the temp build that I posted about earlier.

• thx Joci78

Did u reboot the maschine or would it be necesary to reinstal the kvm plugin after u edit the omvextras.pref ?

I am not local at my omv apliance at the time so befor it goes crasy and i had to touch my maschine i have to wait for an other solution.

Mayby still wait till ryecoaaron check your solution.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did u reboot the maschine or would it be necesary to reinstal the kvm plugin after u edit the omvextras.pref ?

no need to reboot. Editing apt preferences takes effect after running apt-get update.

Mayby still wait till ryecoaaron check your solution.

I already commented that it effectively the same as what the temp build of the plugin is doing.

• I didn't reboot. After the change, I issued the update/upgrade command. I then installed kvm via the webgui. Maybe a reboot will solve my disconnection problem, although I see little chance of that. I'll give it a try.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I finally found the problem. qemu packages in backports were updated to 7.1 except for qemu-system-data. The 7.0 version of the package will not work with 7.1. The following fixed (make sure to have backports enabled in omv-extras):

wget http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/q/qemu/qemu-system-data_7.1+dfsg-2_all.deb

sudo dpkg -i qemu-system-data_7.1+dfsg-2_all.deb

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

• I finally found the problem. qemu packages in backports were updated to 7.1 except for qemu-system-data. The 7.0 version of the package will not work with 7.1. The following fixed (make sure to have backports enabled in omv-extras):

wget http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/q/qemu/qemu-system-data_7.1+dfsg-2_all.deb

sudo dpkg -i qemu-system-data_7.1+dfsg-2_all.deb

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

After doing this, will the problem be completely solved?

• Offizieller Beitrag

will the problem be completely solved?

Not sure what you mean by completely. I would still like to see this package in the debian backports repo. Until then, command line commands will still be necessary to install the plugin from scratch. I guess I can put the package in the omv-extras repo temporarily and then people won't have to use the command line.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The qemu-system-data package is in the omv-extras repo. Just click on the apt clean button in omv-extras before updating.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!