Can't get nextcloud to use my SMB share as a data folder

• Hi all

I've tried to install nextcloud with serveral Docker copose files I found here and on the internet. I managed to install it without any problems, and even setup remote access via cloudflared tunnel using the attached compose file.
    My goal is to turn part of my SMB share to a synced cloud storage, so I can access and work on some of my files remotely and have everything synced in real time.
    The only problem I have is that no matter what I do, it totally disregards my path settings and installs it into the /var/www/html on the boot drive.
    I know this can be done using syncthing but unfortunatly, so far I haven't been able to get it to work and, and I've finished runnig tests and installed my work machine as I don't really have time to continue tinkering with it.
    This is my Docker Compose file.

Thank you in advance

Itsik

• You can use the remote storage app in Nextcloud to get access to your smb shares via Nextcloud.

Mapping a smb share to /data does not work due to incompatible permissions. Has been tried before. You can search the forum.

Thank you for your reply.
    Another question if I may.
    I have a large ammount of data that is currently on my desktop. My guess is that syncing it with nextcloud will take ages.
    I am thinking of copying all my files to the share, mounting it as a remote storage in nextcloud, and then pointing the desktop nextcloud folder to the directory I copied the files from.
    Is this the correct way to do it?
    The reason I'm asking is because I'm worried it might cause problems due to timestamp differances (maybe)? or corrupt some of the data. This is what happened to me with syncthing...

Thanks in advance

Itsik

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can try to copy the data to the data folder of nextcloud and start a scan from CLI

Try with few files first and than scale up.

Not sure if this will be faster than doing the normal sync if you do it over the network. Maybe if you attach the drive to the server.

• Mapping a smb share to /data does not work due to incompatible permissions. Has been tried before. You can search the forum.

That is wrong. It perfectly works that way with multi user and even group folder environment. In the beginning I used ACLs but lately disabled ACL completely (to make it less complicated) and now using Samba force user and force group settings to match Nextclouds user and group. On filesystem level access is still restricted to corresponding users by permissions of respective parent directory. Not saying it was easy, but nice project for getting familiar with linux permissions and definitely possible.

• HannesJo Thank you, but unfortunatly, what you're suggesting is way over my abilities, especially on a production system.

macom Thank you for your reply. If I mount the external SMB share to nextcloud, won't all the data there be accesible from anywhere?

• You need to create one shared folder for each folder you want to share.

It is possible to create a shared folder folder pointing to a folder that is inside another shared folder.

Ok, I'll try to do it this way.

Thank you

Itsik

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!