Letsencrypt (Swag) error: SERVFAIL looking up A for something.duckdns.org - the domain's nameservers may be malfunctioning

• I am trying to follow TechnoDadLife's updated video on setting up Letsencrypt. The error that I am getting indicates that LetsEncrypt can't call back to my environment to verify the configuration. I am fairly confident that my forwarding is correct. To test it, I spun up a web server on a different node and passed port 80 to that IP. Sure enough, it worked.

Here is my forwarding. .100 is my OMV instance.

Here is my compose file. Note that the PUID and PGID are the values that were returned when I ran the command in the video (I forgot what the command was).

If I ping muchgooder.duckdns.org the correct IP is returned.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

EDIT

Could it be an issue with not manually creating a network? The video says to create one via the shell but subsequent troubleshooting posts say this isn't necessary.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You're forwarding two ports to external port 90.

• Offizieller Beitrag

EDIT

Could it be an issue with not manually creating a network? The video says to create one via the shell but subsequent troubleshooting posts say this isn't necessary.

Not if you followed instructions. Every container sets up it's own network if you don't manually assign it one.

What is the output of

Code
    docker inspect swag | grep NetworkMode

and (the below assumes your nextcloud container is named nextcloud, if it's not, adjust accordingly)

Code
    docker inspect nextcloud | grep NetworkMode
  • Not if you followed instructions. Every container sets up it's own network if you don't manually assign it one.

What is the output of

Code
    docker inspect swag | grep NetworkMode

Thank you for this. The result of the query is "swag_default". I am not trying to install Nextcloud so that is not a concern here. I am trying to get the ssl cert and then move on to nginx and automatic cert renewal. I tried this a year ago but was having issues with any kind of passthru at the time because I was using google wifi and had a double nat situation (since removed).

One area of docker that I am still a bit of a noob is the network aspect of it. How do you suggest I approach this in my docker compose file?

• I don't think the network was the issue. I suspect the following:

1. I needed to change validation to be "duckdns"

2. I changed subdomains to be "wildcard" - not sure if this was an issue.

• muchgooder

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • revise <removed> and put your data, must work

and try:

PD: You must create first User 1001 on OMV webGUI, in my case is named "dockeruser"

• revise <removed> and put your data, must work

and try:

PD: You must create first User 1001 on OMV webGUI, in my case is named "dockeruser"

Thanks for the response. I am sorry that I was not more clear in my last post when I marked this as 'resolved' - it is working now.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!