Proble with size of partition table

• Hello,

I recently started to configure my NAS with the lastest version of OMV6.x, but I have a problem for creating file sytem. In first, not all my DD appear and when I want to create a file system I have this error for all my DD:

Warning: Partition table header claims that the size of partition table entries is 0 bytes, but this program supports only 128-byte entries.

• Yes I did this but after that, when I trie to create a file system, OMV seems format my HD but at the end it's not created

PS: sorry for the delay

• New
    • Official Post

Is the hard drive used and older? Have you checked the drive's SMART stat's?

Under Storage, S.M.A.R.T., Settings; 
    Enable SMART.

Under Storage, S.M.A.R.T., Devices,
    Click on your hard drive, then click on Details. (the Triangle Icon)
    Then click on the Attributes Tab

Check your drive's Smart Stat's for the following, which are early drive failure indicators.

SMART 5 – Reallocated_Sector_Count.

SMART 187 – Reported_Uncorrectable_Errors.

SMART 188 – Command_Timeout.

SMART 197 – Current_Pending_Sector_Count.

SMART 198 – Offline_Uncorrectable.

- Raw Counts in the above should 0.
    - Counts of 2 or 3 are an early warning sign but the drive could be considered to OK. However, it should be watched.
    - High counts, beyond the threshold range, indicate that the drive is failing or it may have already failed.

• It's all good !

I have formatted all my disks in the secure mode and it worked. The only thing I don't understand is that OMV tells me that my disk is 932 gib yet the file system created is 915 gib (on a 1TB disk, that makes a lot of loss). I also looked at my partitions with fdisk and it tells me that my partition is 932 gib. Is this normal?

PS: Thanks for your help

• New
    • Official Post

Yes it's normal. The 1TB claim made by the OEM is a physical "disk surface total" before low level formatting takes place.

High level formatting uses a chunk of disk space for partitioning, layout and to section things up, within the available 932GB. If you think about it, 17GB is roughly 2% of the usable total of 932. Any disk format (NTFS, APFS, EXT4, etc.,) will take some of the low level total.

-> This might explain the difference better than I can.
    And
    -> Low Level Versus High Level formatting.

• It's all good !

I have formatted all my disks in the secure mode and it worked. The only thing I don't understand is that OMV tells me that my disk is 932 gib yet the file system created is 915 gib (on a 1TB disk, that makes a lot of loss). I also looked at my partitions with fdisk and it tells me that my partition is 932 gib. Is this normal?

PS: Thanks for your help

Hi,

how (and where) did you format it in the secure mode? I have the same problem and I don't know how to fix it.

Thanks!

• New
    • Official Post

how (and where) did you format it in the secure mode?

Under Storage, Disks:

Highlight the drive and click on the Eraser Icon. You'll be offered Quick or Secure.

Secure writes the entire disk so it may take awhile. Generally speaking, Secure is only necessary if the disk has been formatted with ZFS, was part of a RAID array or, possibly, if the disk was encrypted.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!