Proble with size of partition table

• Hello,

I recently started to configure my NAS with the lastest version of OMV6.x, but I have a problem for creating file sytem. In first, not all my DD appear and when I want to create a file system I have this error for all my DD:

Zitat

Warning: Partition table header claims that the size of partition table entries is 0 bytes, but this program supports only 128-byte entries.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is the hard drive used and older? Have you checked the drive's SMART stat's?

Under Storage, S.M.A.R.T., Settings; 
    Enable SMART.

Under Storage, S.M.A.R.T., Devices,
    Click on your hard drive, then click on Details. (the Triangle Icon)
    Then click on the Attributes Tab

Check your drive's Smart Stat's for the following, which are early drive failure indicators.

SMART 5 – Reallocated_Sector_Count.

SMART 187 – Reported_Uncorrectable_Errors.

SMART 188 – Command_Timeout.

SMART 197 – Current_Pending_Sector_Count.

SMART 198 – Offline_Uncorrectable.

- Raw Counts in the above should 0.
    - Counts of 2 or 3 are an early warning sign but the drive could be considered to OK. However, it should be watched.
    - High counts, beyond the threshold range, indicate that the drive is failing or it may have already failed.

• It's all good !

I have formatted all my disks in the secure mode and it worked. The only thing I don't understand is that OMV tells me that my disk is 932 gib yet the file system created is 915 gib (on a 1TB disk, that makes a lot of loss). I also looked at my partitions with fdisk and it tells me that my partition is 932 gib. Is this normal?

PS: Thanks for your help

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes it's normal. The 1TB claim made by the OEM is a physical "disk surface total" before low level formatting takes place.

High level formatting uses a chunk of disk space for partitioning, layout and to section things up, within the available 932GB. If you think about it, 17GB is roughly 2% of the usable total of 932. Any disk format (NTFS, APFS, EXT4, etc.,) will take some of the low level total.

-> This might explain the difference better than I can.
    And
    -> Low Level Versus High Level formatting.

• It's all good !

I have formatted all my disks in the secure mode and it worked. The only thing I don't understand is that OMV tells me that my disk is 932 gib yet the file system created is 915 gib (on a 1TB disk, that makes a lot of loss). I also looked at my partitions with fdisk and it tells me that my partition is 932 gib. Is this normal?

Hi,

how (and where) did you format it in the secure mode? I have the same problem and I don't know how to fix it.

Thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

how (and where) did you format it in the secure mode?

Under Storage, Disks:

Highlight the drive and click on the Eraser Icon. You'll be offered Quick or Secure.

Secure writes the entire disk so it may take awhile. Generally speaking, Secure is only necessary if the disk has been formatted with ZFS, was part of a RAID array or, possibly, if the disk was encrypted.

• Hello Everybody,

I have the same problem and not even the secure erase solved it. I am using 2 * 8TB HDDs (Seagate Exos). A secure erase per HDD consumes ~10-12 hours for this size.

I use OMV6 with the latest versions of everything as of now (13.04.2023)

In fdisk or parted I created new GTP table several times and no errors are detected, but after I would like to create and EXT4 filesystem with OMV GUI I see this error and making me worrying.

"Warning: Partition table header claims that the size of partition table entries is 0 bytes, but this program supports only 128-byte entries.

Adjusting accordingly, but partition table may be garbage."

I do not understand why OMV assumes it could be garbage if parted and fdisk creates the gtp partition?

After checking some forums about it, I start assuming this is a bug in OMV because with these current HDDs I do not have problem in Windows and with fdisk/parted.

Formerly it was a RAID (mirror) setup in OMV but I could de-attach them without problem and I just wanted to use as 2 standalone HDD with sync option.

Is there a specific setup/command or something with which I could get rid of this Warning?

Thank you very much in advance!

• It's all good !

Just made a fresh install with and attached the old SSD from OMV5, and I had the same message you received while quick wipe disk.
    I used the Secure wipe and exactly at 931gb I got connection lost!
    I am puzzled now.. its a fresh install!
    Before it was running OMV5.

Any extra suggestions are welcome.

• You might be confusing GB with GiB.

It is a 1T disk. After very long time secure erase, it I had the connection lost.
    I meant to say I try to secure wipe my 1T ssd.
    But right at the end 931/932, connection lost.
    If I was confused, what would you suggest I can do to be able to wipe my 1T SSD?

• Hello :)

I need to use 2 hard drives that were previously used in a RAID 5.

When i want to erase them, i got following error:

Code
    Wiping device
    Warning: Partition table header claims that the size of partition table
    entries is 0 bytes, but this program  supports only 128-byte entries.
    Adjusting accordingly, but partition table may be garbage.
    Warning: Partition table header claims that the size of partition table
    entries is 0 bytes, but this program  supports only 128-byte entries.
    Adjusting accordingly, but partition table may be garbage.

** CONNECTION LOST **

The full error message is:

is it REALY necessary to wipe in secure mode?

because both discs are 8TB big and this will take a long time :(

is there a quicker way via cli ?

thank u !!

PS: ist dieses Forum nun in deutsch oder englisch? ^^
    ich sehe mich hier nicht ganz durch. manchmal ist es so und manchmal anders...

7.0.4-2 (Sandworm) // ASRock J5040-ITX with Intel(R) Pentium(R) Silver J5040 CPU @ 2.00GHz // be quiet! ATX 500W (BN46) // 2x4GB Samsung M471A5244BB0-CRC

Fractal Design Node 304 // 4-Port PCIE to SATA 3.0 ControllerCard // 1x 128GB SSD for OS and 2x 4TB, 1x 5TB and 3x 8TB HDD as one big fuse.mergerfs space (no need for raid parity)

• Offizieller Beitrag

is there a quicker way via cli ?

sudo wipefs -a /dev/sdb

PS: ist dieses Forum nun in deutsch oder englisch?

Still english. Some users just choose to post in german.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• thank you for this quick answer.

Unfortunately it doesn't work with the command in the cli either :(

Code
    root@omv:~# sudo wipefs -a /dev/sdb
    wipefs: error: /dev/sdb: probing initialization failed: Das Gerät oder die Ressource ist belegt
    root@omv:~#

7.0.4-2 (Sandworm) // ASRock J5040-ITX with Intel(R) Pentium(R) Silver J5040 CPU @ 2.00GHz // be quiet! ATX 500W (BN46) // 2x4GB Samsung M471A5244BB0-CRC

Fractal Design Node 304 // 4-Port PCIE to SATA 3.0 ControllerCard // 1x 128GB SSD for OS and 2x 4TB, 1x 5TB and 3x 8TB HDD as one big fuse.mergerfs space (no need for raid parity)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Unfortunately it doesn't work with the command in the cli either

That is because they are still part of an existing array. You need to stop the array that they are a part of.

What is the output of:

cat /proc/mdstat

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• aeh.... no problem...

i forced them to do so...

sudo wipefs -af /dev/sdb did the trick.

now i can use them normal.

THANK U !!!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!